New NextGen RFID main entrance turnstiles to go live this week

SirLink

"And... here... we... go." -Joker

Everyone keep their hands inside the wristbands at all times & hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

The+Joker+-+And+Here+We+Go.gif

There ya go

secondstartotheright

I've heard news about new RFID readers being installed in the parks sometime this week. I've also heard mention of new RFID tickets to replace the existing ones. If I go to WDW, will I need to get a new AP to replace my old one? Also, will guests have to wear the new "magic bands" from now own?

pjammer

The new turnstiles are just for guest staying at a resort and using there KTTW card for park entry for right now. AP tickets (or any other paper tickets) will not be able to be converted to RFID until later.

EOD K9

Much like a NextGen prison, each guests' wallet will be paired with another unknown guest in the park. Should one of those guests attempt to leave, their wallet will explode. This will discourage people from leaving. Although, my wallet usually explodes when I enter the property.

CBOMB

I'm sure everything will go just as smoothly as when they added the finger scanner to the process of entry.

Rasvar

I'm not a fan of this wristbands. They creep me out. Although, if forced to use it, I will do whatever I have to do to manipulate the data to make it show what I want it to show.

Tom

Beta Return
Awesome! Bring on the wristbands!

The wristbands are later. This is purely ticket entry media and room charging. The wristbands are for NextGen, Part 2.0 (or 10.0).

How are they going to monitor who's ticket is who? Couldn't anyone tap the ticket and enter now? Or eventually will my Photo pop up on a CM tablet or something?

Assuming the permanent scanners look anything like the mock-ups (pictured in Steve's news article), the biometric reader will be attached to the Mickey Head Scanner.

The RFID should speed things up with it being read correctly the first time instead of having to feed the ticket through more than once to read it correctly. Seems every time someone in front of feeds the ticket wrong or it didn't read it and a CM has to do it.

Indeed. This will definitely speed things up, even with the biometrics still in place. Tap. Finger. Go. It will also eliminate the whole mystical "your/my card must have been de-magnetized" issue (Disney's way of explaining away a bad card, scanner or user error).

Going ahead and attack me, but I like this RFID thing!

I don't think too many people are (justifiably) against the RFID technology (except that they'd rather that money be spent on rides). The entire NextGen concept (interactivity, paying for Fastpasses, etc) is what most people are hung up on. In my opinion, this is a huge step in an efficient direction!

I'm sure everything will go just as smoothly as when they added the finger scanner to the process of entry.

I presume you're being sarcastic. I predict this will be far simpler and smoother than when they added the biometrics. They're leaving that step/process alone, and vastly simplifying the media validation part. Again: Tap Card, Scan Finger, Go. This is replacing "Put your card here. No, here. Right here, idiot! Put your damn card in this slot! Yes, there. Ugh, why isn't it working? What did you do to your card - keep it in your pocket when you had an MRI done on your brain? Let me wipe it off and blow on it like an old Nintendo game. Ok, now try it. Argh! I'm just going to override it and let you in so I can repeat this process for the rest of your equally intelligent party of 12."

pjammer

When the new turnstiles goes live you'll just ask for a reprint of your ticket. Everyone well be able to use the new turnstiles which I can't wait because the testing was amazing!

This is incorrect. In it's current testing phase it is for resort guest using KTTW cards to enter the park. KTTW cards are the only "tickets" that have RFID in them right now

Rasvar

This is incorrect. In it's current testing phase it is for resort guest using KTTW cards to enter the park. KTTW cards are the only "tickets" that have RFID in them right now

Right, don't look for this to go to the non-resort guests and AP's really quick. Probably looking at least six to eight months before the system expands beyond the resorts. It is going to take the system that long to become stable.

Rob562

I don't think the wristbands are quite ready to be rolled out yet. Most likely if you want to use the new turnstiles you'll have to get your AP replaced onto new ticket media.

-Rob

Justinj2

During testing at Epcot anyone who asked for a reprint of there ticket got a ticket with a RFID chip built in. So I'm assuming they well offer that option when it comes online.

pjammer

During testing at Epcot anyone who asked for a reprint of there ticket got a ticket with a RFID chip built in. So I'm assuming they well offer that option when it comes online.
That was for that one test and they just slapped and RFID mickey onto your ticket. This is not the case here. Eventually you will be able to replace your ticket with an RFID but for now it's just resort guest using KTTW because the resort systems are the ones that have been activated for this.

*EDIT - To be more specific the resorts use a different system than guest relations and ticket planning thats why it's only resort guest right now

Justinj2

That was for that one test and they just slapped and RFID mickey onto your ticket. This is not the case here. Eventually you will be able to replace your ticket with an RFID but for now it's just resort guest using KTTW because the resort systems are the ones that have been activated for this.

*EDIT - To be more specific the resorts use a different system than guest relations and ticket planning thats why it's only resort guest right now
If you search some old news about the testing you'll see that agian guests who either bought day tickets or got a resissue pass during the time the RFID turnstile where in place they received a normal ticket with a RFID chip in it! I'm not talking about the sticker.

pjammer

If you search some old news about the testing you'll see that agian guests who either bought day tickets or got a resissue pass during the time the RFID turnstile where in place they received a normal ticket with a RFID chip in it! I'm not talking about the sticker.
I am aware of the orange boca tickets that were used during the testing however right now ATS is not ready to convert to RFID only Lilo is and Lilo tickets are issued at resorts on KTTW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom