New 'My Disney Experience' inspired park maps coming soon

rct247

I think the maps just accurately depict space. Although there aren't always trees in those spots, those areas do exist some for backstage infrastructure and others purely expansion pads. Compare the maps to Google Earth or Bing Maps. This makes sense because the maps are also used on the mobile app that shows where you are based on your GPS location.

lazyboy97o

I think the maps just accurately depict space. Although there aren't always trees in those spots, those areas do exist some for backstage infrastructure and others purely expansion pads. Compare the maps to Google Earth or Bing Maps. This makes sense because the maps are also used on the mobile app that shows where you are based on your GPS location.
Yes, but why use Occam's razor when his hatchet is so much cooler?

rct247

The only thing I don't like is the facing north issue. I think many guests will find that confusing and won't get why the maps are faced that direction. Otherwise they look good and the ride descriptions are even better.

tl77

I noticed on the MK the new Tangled restroom area is still just trees, but you're right it does look like there is the potential to add things to the maps fairly easily

But it also doesn't show the Haunted Mansion and Small World show buildings that fill up at lot of that empty space to the north

AndyS2992

Really don't like these new maps o_O

They are all facing weird angles, seem cheap, very complex and have hardly and detail on them :confused:

Seem very generic and don't have that 'Disney' feel to them at all. I collect the maps but don't think I'll be collecting these ones.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think it most cases it would take upwards of 3-4 minutes to move the text around if something new was added, so it makes perfect sense that they would save this labor and leave space for enhancements taking place 11 years and 7 months from now.

articos

I'm positive the next iteration of the maps will see the entrances situated at the bottom center again. There either was/is a reason for the reposition, or someone in graphics had a (not-so) brilliant idea. I'm stumped on this one too. Goes completely against logic and the way people intuitively use theme park maps. I think leaving out the various merch locations is just laziness - likely, at some point in the past, there were either complaints about legibility or, more likely, a designer couldn't fit everything in nicely, so they pushed to leave things out. Once it's done, it's just considered that you don't need to fit everything any longer, since it's been done that way already. I'm in the camp of everything should be on the guide. (Although now, they can just put it all in the mobile version and say it's there.)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Don't read into anything on the maps. The team that designs the maps has absolutely no knowledge of future planning.

Ever hear the one about a tiger not changing its stripes?

I think it most cases it would take upwards of 3-4 minutes to move the text around if something new was added, so it makes perfect sense that they would save this labor and leave space for enhancements that taking place 11 years and 7 months from now.

Or, if ever....

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I am also not a big fan of the new maps facing north. If I were unfamiliar with the parks, I would want the map to be oriented with the main entrance. I understand that EPCOT has the International Gateway, but a larger percentage of guests enter through the main entrance. I'm wondering what their logic was behind the change to this. Maybe if I knew what that was it would make more sense to me.

Jerm

The maps are done with North being the top, because that is how all maps in the world are done. Sure now-a-days most kids have never even opened a real map but that is why it is set up that way.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
The maps are done with North being the top, because that is how all maps in the world are done. Sure now-a-days most kids have never even opened a real map but that is why it is set up that way.

So did Disney just realize this year that all the maps in the world are done with North being at the top after creating incorrect maps all these years? OR did they create the maps the way they did (up until now) because they believed it made more sense to base the orientation of the map on the main entrance to the park?

I understand for regular maps that it makes sense, but for theme park maps it makes more sense to base the orientation of the map on the main entrance to the park, in my opinion.

Mickey_777

Boo. The old map artwork was charming and warm. These are kinda' cold and flat. Plus the "English Guidemap" in the upper left on the cover is unnecessary for the default map. It just clutters it up. And the Brits will probably roll their eyes at seeing our flag next to the word "ENGLISH" :p

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yeah, but when you get a park map - you aren't interested in geography - you are interested in how to get around the park. Your references are all relative (its to the left of the castle..) - not 'Its 140 degrees SouthEast'

The perspective of maps is typically 'as seen by the user' and normally that is based on how you enter the park. EPCOT being flipped will make people do a double take.. but it's DHS that I think will cause the most confusion for people.

What it reeks of is... the choice was done from a 'technical' point of view instead of a guest relation point of view.

Goofyernmost

So did Disney just realize this year that all the maps in the world are done with North being at the top after creating incorrect maps all these years? OR did they create the maps the way they did (up until now) because they believed it made more sense to base the orientation of the map on the main entrance to the park?

I understand for regular maps that it makes sense, but for theme park maps it makes more sense to base the orientation of the map on the main entrance to the park, in my opinion.
At Epcot all they have to do is turn the map upside down, it's not rocket science. :)

HM Spectre

you mean when you first opened the account you put in the wrong year? Unless you mean you opened the profile 16+ years ago?

Yeah the profile is 10+ years old. I think it transferred over from an ESPN account I opened when I was in HS for fantasy sports. It had my correct date of birth the entire time, I just don't think it ever recalculated my age. Not a big deal but it gave me a chuckle when it wouldn't let me proceed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah the profile is 10+ years old. I think it transferred over from an ESPN account I opened when I was in HS for fantasy sports. It had my correct date of birth the entire time, I just don't think it ever recalculated my age. Not a big deal but it gave me a chuckle when it wouldn't let me proceed.

One thing that is wacky - and another reason why I hate the old go.com portal - is the different Disney services handle usernames and emails differently.

I recently had a problem where on one service my 'username' was my email address... while on another service it was just a name, but my email was stored in the account. This meant whenever I was logged into ESPN.. if I went to 'member services' (which takes you back to the common/central user stuff in go-land) the site would get confused and show the OTHER profile.. and I could never properly edit my ESPN profile. I had to have their customer service (which was kind of fast btw) alter the accounts so the member name was no longer the email address.

But because ESPN handled usernames differently.. but had been merged into the shared member services.. it was all jacked up.

And if you notice.. what's your username on Disney's new site? back to email addresses!! Net result.. I have no idea what actual disney profile the disney park's login is linked too... because I have half a dozen different disney accounts using the same email address.

Edit: gotta love it.. the myexperience website says 'email or member name' (same as ESPN) - but disneyparks website.. requires an email address, not membername.

And on the Disney Cruise website.. you can login with either email or membername... but when you goto edit your profile, they say "Your email address will be your user name (e.g., name@domain.com)."

It's a freakin mess.

RSoxNo1

I like that there's more info on the maps (major shops), but there needs to be a better separation between attractions and dining/shopping. Before they had letters and numbers, I think they need to revert back to that model.

NoChesterHester

I like that there's more info on the maps (major shops), but there needs to be a better separation between attractions and dining/shopping. Before they had letters and numbers, I think they need to revert back to that model.

Sequentially numbering things makes it look like there is more to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom