New Muppet Ride?

Taylor

The Muppets haven't opened in England yet and there really popular there that should get it past the 100 mil mark

wserratore1963

It shouldn't be to those who know Muppet movie precedent. I'm honestly wondering what was Disney's expectation for this? $100 million, $125 million, $150 million domestically? Only one Muppet movie has made more than $35 million in the US without adjusting for inflation, and that's the first one. Even "Manhattan"" and "Caper" in the character's 80s "peak" only made $25 and $31 million, which still isn't much when adjusting for inflation. "Christmas Carol" made $27 million, "Treasure Island" $34 million and "From Space" a terrible $16 million.

The new one has made $77 million in the US so far, without the type of 3D tickets that boost family movie earnings these days. That's great for a franchise declared dead in '99 and even compared to the 1980s. The reviews aren't too bad either, not that that really counts for anything these days.

However, I could see why it wouldn't be when you want anything "franchiseable" to hit $200 million domestically and you're the same group who thought putting out a new Pooh movie on the day Harry Potter 8 came out was a smart idea.

I guess the point of this rant is that Disney shouldn't feel too bad about its performance even if they do (which I haven't seen much of one way or the other). But since the run isn't done yet (do all foreign territories play it yet?) and the home video release is still months away it's hard for anyone suggest how successful the investment is at this point, IMO.
The current take is 80 million domestic and 87 million world wide. This think is going to come close to 100 million box office. The franchise is alive and well and Disney would be wise to take advantage of it.:D

AEfx

The current take is 80 million domestic and 87 million world wide. This think is going to come close to 100 million box office. The franchise is alive and well and Disney would be wise to take advantage of it.:D

It has doubled it's budget, that's a hit in Hollywood. People forget that the Iron Man's that make 100's of M also cost several hundred M, even BEFORE promotion costs.

Once DVD/Blu-rays are out, they will likely make more than the theatrical run did in the first place.

The Muppets are very firmly back. We are seeing them everywhere. This whole "kids can't relate" thing is hogwash - sure, not every kid will love the Muppets, but not every kid did to begin with.

I do have a feeling we will see something at the parks out of this - I'd kill for either a true "Muppet Show" experience with live animatronics, or a Muppet dark ride. These guys just SCREAM anitmatronics, and I think that's why Henson decided to do business with Disney to begin with. I would love to see it finally followed-through with.

disney fan 13

It has doubled it's budget, that's a hit in Hollywood. People forget that the Iron Man's that make 100's of M also cost several hundred M, even BEFORE promotion costs.

Once DVD/Blu-rays are out, they will likely make more than the theatrical run did in the first place.

The Muppets are very firmly back. We are seeing them everywhere. This whole "kids can't relate" thing is hogwash - sure, not every kid will love the Muppets, but not every kid did to begin with.

I do have a feeling we will see something at the parks out of this - I'd kill for either a true "Muppet Show" experience with live animatronics, or a Muppet dark ride. These guys just SCREAM anitmatronics, and I think that's why Henson decided to do business with Disney to begin with. I would love to see it finally followed-through with.

this one senses a bad disney channel show

ChuruyaSan

In this weeks Entertainment Weekly, they have a a wonderful cover story on the new Muppet movie. The most interesting thing to me though is a comment that (Writer/Star) Jason Segal makes near the end of it, regarding Disney execs talking to him about a new ride....has anyone heard anything that would give this more weight?
I THOUGHT IT SAID "And you know what? The Muppet Show is coming back on ABC! YAAAAY!" Jason said it was a deleted line either him or Kermit would say.
I hope Walter is on the ride! He's my favorite Muppet! :king::sohappy::animwink:

mhaftman7

I would definitely think ABC would do well with the return of the Muppet Show. First guest should obviousy be Seigel. With Extreme Makeover Home Edition having run its course, why not run it right behind AFV? That'd be a pretty good family block on a Sunday night.

As far as a new Muppet ride goes, I doubt that it is remotely close, if even under consideration. Between the FLE and Pandora/Avatar, it seems like they are pretty booked up with expansions/additions thru the end of the decade. I'd appreciate at least a refurb of the current MuppetVision 3D. Personally, I cannot stand Waldo (the graphic).

A refurb could be done simpler by just making it "a live Muppet Show" where everything goes wrong, but comes together at the end, 3D optional.

Taylor

I know when I was watching the movie bringing back the muppet show was the first thing that popped in my mind that and getting a Kermit watch

FigmentJedi

As far as a new Muppet ride goes, I doubt that it is remotely close, if even under consideration. Between the FLE and Pandora/Avatar, it seems like they are pretty booked up with expansions/additions thru the end of the decade. I'd appreciate at least a refurb of the current MuppetVision 3D. Personally, I cannot stand Waldo (the graphic).

A refurb could be done simpler by just making it "a live Muppet Show" where everything goes wrong, but comes together at the end, 3D optional.

As MuppetVision was the last project Jim ever did, I'd rather not replace it.

NoChesterHester

As MuppetVision was the last project Jim ever did, I'd rather not replace it.

+1 here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Muppetvision (not speaking on upkeep issues). It is a great attraction with that noticeable Henson touch.

I love the Muppets but cant imagine there is enoigh support for a big budget ride. A redo of Pizza Planet is far more likely. Besides Hollywood Studios could really use a fantastic counter service location. Food options are severely lacking now.

lebeau

It has doubled it's budget, that's a hit in Hollywood.

Uh, no. It's not a simple matter of doubling the production costs. There are lots of factors to take into consideration many of which the public is not aware of. Hollywood accounting is very creative. I'm sure it's not a big factor for The Muppets, but just as an example, back end deals can completely screw up your basic "double the production cost" formula.

For The Muppets, a bigger concern is the marketing costs. No one knows what Disney spent on marketing and no one at Disney is saying. But it was a big number! I have little doubt The Muppets is in the black at this point. But, it's far from a hit.

There's no good formula for this. And comparisons between movies are often misleaqding (as is your comparison to Iron Man.) Expectations play a big factor. Disney expected to easily clear 100 mil with The Muppets. I'm sure their satisfied with The Muppets take. But they aren't turning cartwheels and they aren't greenlighting sequels.

If The Muppets had been a hit, a sequel would have been announced by now. Like The Smurfs which was a hit.

Depends on what you mean. Disney's dedicating a lot of resources to make sure you see the Muppets everywhere. Doesn't mean Disney is getting much of a return on that investment. Time will tell.

For the record, I suspect Disney will continue investing in the franchise. They see this as a long term investment that will eventually pay off.

Henson mostly wanted to walk away from the muppets to move on to other things. He saw Disney as the only company that could keep his creations in the public eye. So he struck a Faustian bargain with Eisner. One which he came to regret before he died.

Will we see more Muppets in the parks? Perhaps. But the box office performance of The Muppets certainly isn't going to fast track any Muppets projects in the parks.

lebeau

Our family would tune in to ABC to watch the Muppet Show!

Just out of curiosity, did you watch Muppets Tonight or any of the other attempts to revive The Muppet Show? I did. There's a reason they never caught on. They were not the same.

But even if ABC/Disney managed to catch lighting in a bottle, I'm not sure The Muppet Show would be a hit today. It's a different TV landscape.

Mike K

Hey guys, just joined the boards and happy to be here. Personally, I adore MuppetVision 3D the way it is but I'm certainly not opposed to seeing the Muppets have more of a presence in the parks. A live audio-animatronics would be great to see.

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEfx
It has doubled it's budget, that's a hit in Hollywood.

Uh, no. It's not a simple matter of doubling the production costs. There are lots of factors to take into consideration many of which the public is not aware of. Hollywood accounting is very creative. I'm sure it's not a big factor for The Muppets, but just as an example, back end deals can completely screw up your basic "double the production cost" formula.

For The Muppets, a bigger concern is the marketing costs. No one knows what Disney spent on marketing and no one at Disney is saying. But it was a big number! I have little doubt The Muppets is in the black at this point. But, it's far from a hit.

There's no good formula for this. And comparisons between movies are often misleaqding (as is your comparison to Iron Man.) Expectations play a big factor. Disney expected to easily clear 100 mil with The Muppets. I'm sure their satisfied with The Muppets take. But they aren't turning cartwheels and they aren't greenlighting sequels.

If The Muppets had been a hit, a sequel would have been announced by now. Like The Smurfs which was a hit.

Spot on.

The Muppets were in no way a hit. Not at all. Not a total flop, either. But I can tell you folks in Burbank were 'very disappointed' because of all the extreme (over) exposure they gave the characters this year. They expected at least $100 million and were privately hoping for $120-150 million.

It's not simply about word of mouth either because the film had great buzz (I thought it was one of the best films I saw in 2011 and not because I have an unnatural pull to anything Disney puts out!)

Oh, and I wouldn't use the word 'satisfied' to describe anyone at Disney. They really aren't sure what to do with them at this point, which (sadly) leaves them in the same position they've been in since they bought them almost 15 years after trying.

Quote:

Depends on what you mean. Disney's dedicating a lot of resources to make sure you see the Muppets everywhere. Doesn't mean Disney is getting much of a return on that investment. Time will tell.

For the record, I suspect Disney will continue investing in the franchise. They see this as a long term investment that will eventually pay off.

I'm not so sure at all. Disney has been shoving the Muppets down our collective throats for over a year now. And the results aren't there. Did you see Muppets merchandise flying off the shelves of Disney (and other) Stores over Christmas season?

They want to make them succeed, and they made a fanatastic film (still wonder why they cut so much though!) and the results haven't been there. Eisner was committed to the franchise, but Iger is a whole lot more interested in the Avengers and the NBA on ESPN and ABC's new daytime talk shows (that killed soaps!). He has the patience of a fanboi playing with an iPhone because they can't stand just soaking up the atmosphere in the MK (such as it is).

Iger isn't going to keep pumping money into them.

And he may be right, which hurts so much to say. They may have let them wither on the vine too long to ever make wine.

Quote:

Henson mostly wanted to walk away from the muppets to move on to other things. He saw Disney as the only company that could keep his creations in the public eye. So he struck a Faustian bargain with Eisner. One which he came to regret before he died.

Will we see more Muppets in the parks? Perhaps. But the box office performance of The Muppets certainly isn't going to fast track any Muppets projects in the parks.

Yep ... 'tis true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom