New Muppet land at MGM theme

goofyfan13

Master Yoda said:
I would have to disagree. I would compare the Muppets to WB cartoons in the fact that both are timeless. The characters in both are as recognizable as Mickey Mouse. So to say they are old news is not entirely accurate and the comparison to TMNT is not really apples to apples. TMNT really only appeals to adolescent males where Muppets have a much broader market.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I think the muppets have a lot of potential in their own attraction, but it has to be done right. It would be nice if they updated MV4D too, it's getting a little old, I'll still go watch it, but with the aquisition of the muppets franchise, I would love to see it reworked a little.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just imagine the possibilities….A Fraggle Rock dark ride, Muppet Labs, A Cooking show with the Swedish Chef, Animal themed coaster, the list goes on and on. Something like this done properly would make attendance at MGM soar.

marchofthecards

Brooke said:
I like the Muppets and all but I can't see a whole section of the park based on them.

But I can. Wouldn't have to be the size of Fantasyland or anything. Imagine....

- A Swedish Chef restaraunt
- a central icon of a big cannon that 'fires' Gonzo on the hour, with muppet figures around it.
- a small main st. where there is boutiques and facades. various muppets calling each other across the street from the windows. Waldorf and Statler heckling guests as they pass!
- A small mock department store feel store where Miss Piggy is behind a perfume/cosmetic counter
-a Sesame Street for the toddlers. This could be a learning avenue.
-a roger rabbit style spinner atraction or Buzz Lightyear type (they would be quite cheap)

All the stuff on the studio lot they have recreated for muppets.com is awesome. They should transplant all that into MGM. The news stand could distribute show times and maps etc.... The El Muppetan could be the meet and greet area.

Just seen the time, can't stop to write more, gotta go.bye

Simes

All those ideas are amazing!!! :sohappy:

Perhaps a dark ride that just takes you round all of the shows they've done? Like Muppets Tonite, Treasure Island, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and Christmas Carol? I would love that so much!!!

And then there could be a mock-studio where they show you how the puppets are made and manipulated.

I can see it all now...
:D

SirGoofy

Yea...umm I can't see anything on the site. All I see is what look like doors, but they're closed.

But I love the idea of Muppet Studios. The original plans were great. I dont know if you've ever heard the original plans, but they called for Gonzo's restaraunt, which could have provided for one of the best dining experiances in WDW. And, of course, the GMMR was part of the land. If Disney does decide to do this, I really hope that they refurb MV3-D. The movie is getting dated, and the effects are nothing compared to Phillarmagic and It's Tough...

SIR90210

Master Yoda said:
Just imagine the possibilities….A Fraggle Rock dark ride, Muppet Labs...

While that would be awesome, (used to watch the show as a little kid) Disney unfortunately did not buy Fraggle Rock, just Kermit & Co.

jiddng

marchofthecards said:
But I can. Wouldn't have to be the size of Fantasyland or anything. Imagine....

- A Swedish Chef restaraunt
- a central icon of a big cannon that 'fires' Gonzo on the hour, with muppet figures around it.
- a small main st. where there is boutiques and facades. various muppets calling each other across the street from the windows. Waldorf and Statler heckling guests as they pass!
- A small mock department store feel store where Miss Piggy is behind a perfume/cosmetic counter
-a Sesame Street for the toddlers. This could be a learning avenue.
-a roger rabbit style spinner atraction or Buzz Lightyear type (they would be quite cheap)

All the stuff on the studio lot they have recreated for muppets.com is awesome. They should transplant all that into MGM. The news stand could distribute show times and maps etc.... The El Muppetan could be the meet and greet area.

Just seen the time, can't stop to write more, gotta go.bye

Simes
I totally agree!!! There's so much that can be done with the Muppets.

For instance, I've always wished that some of the puns they used in the queue leading to Muppets 4D were real. The only one I've found that is real, is the key under the mat at the entrance (near the turnstiles). There's a sign saying "key under mat" and if you lift the mat, there's a real key!

I've always hoped that the doors along that queue would really open and lead to something..........

BTW - why did they ever remove that countdown clock to the preshow of Muppets 4D? I always loved to see that last one "K E R - R You ready? M I T - a school in Massachusetts!" That line always cracks me up! Bring the countdown clock back!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I think this would be an amazing place if it were to ever come to life. Could you just imagine all the "magical" opportunities that the muppets would provide? There'd be tons of silly pranks and photo ops. I think it's a wonderful idea!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Want to know how close The Muppet Studios at MGM came to being??

THIS close:

Attachments

• Muppet Studios sign composite smaller.jpg
    Muppet Studios sign composite smaller.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 90

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The above picture is a composite from my 1990 home videos - shot from the backstage tram - the construction wall read `Muppet Studios, open 1991`. The site was in the South East area behind New York Street, including where The Hunchback Theatre was built. Did they plan this whole area from New York Street, adjacent to the toll plaza, and round south of Star Tours to Muppet*Vision 3D as a Muppet land?

Jim Hill will be running an article soon about this.

jmuboy

Muppet Studios would NOT be a waste of space. How many of today's kids have seen epsiodes of the Twilight Zone?

mkepcotmgmak

nkentucky said:
why would disney put muppet land in mgm ???
it would be waste of space
today kids dont know what are muppets !!

Sesame street!!! Features a lot of muppets from time to time, and I know a LOT of kids who know who kermit, piggy and the gang are!

me included, the biggest kid i know... :lol:

mitchk

Muppet Studios would NOT be a waste of space. How many of today's kids have seen epsiodes of the Twilight Zone?

I could not have said it better myself. Marni1971, I have videos of that wall as well. They were taken by my grandfather back in 1990. Anyone remember all the ________ Tracy crap they used to have. Anyway, were they really starting work on a whole Muppet land(I rember the backlot tour guide saying muppet stuidos is comming in 91 on the video) back then or was it just the 3D show that was covered up? I am going to go dig out my old movies, and have another look at MGM back in the 90's.

PS. remember the ninja turtles van riding up and down the streets, MGM sure has changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom