Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Too late. I tweeted it. And made a YouTube video.

1C5D8F01-17EF-445A-A39A-563B4BA98928.jpeg

CanadianGordon

So... it would be interesting if Bombardier got it and got the darn things delivered in time for the 50th especially since they can't get the streetcars for Toronto done on time or properly together at all...

Flalex72

So... it would be interesting if Bombardier got it and got the darn things delivered in time for the 50th especially since they can't get the streetcars for Toronto done on time or properly together at all...

While Bombardier's ability to build the TTC cars has been a comically bad, it's easy to forget that they churn one GO Transit BiLevel after another out of the same factory without any issues at all. The Toronto Rocket order had supplier issues at the beginning too, but once those were ironed out there were no ongoing issues. Any order for WDW will be a very small order for Bombardier, or any supplier, to fill.

Bob Harlem

Any truth to the rumbling that the space themed restaurant announced for Epcot is another causality of them replacing the monorail trains. (Either scaled back heavily or cancelled)?

articos

What about the new monorails... will they have air conditioning?
VIP experience upcharge, and new AP level: WDW Premium Platinum New 50th MonoRide Annual Pass, with CoolAire technology. Your magicband tracks your location on the monorail, and automatically directs a dedicated vent to only you while riding the new technology monorail. On exit, it spritzes you down and wishes you a magically chilled day by name in monorail voice. For an upcharge, you have the option to have a chipmunk personally fan you if the CoolAire technology should ever be “consulting with Minnie”. For an extra upcharge upcharge, you can just ride with your head out of the window, once you sign here, here, here, here, here, here, there, initial here...

Phantom Mickey

I have watched for any info that could even lead to a thought of the MK-VI trains being replaced and all I find is responses, claimed to be by Disney, that state that these monorails are going no where.
there was a unacknowledged comment that Disney was "talking" to some manufacturers, however, it did not comment if those talks would be about Monorails replacement or just bringing them in for major mechanical refurbishment.
I did read somewhere that mentioned a lifespan of trains to be 50 years, at that time trains are supposedly required to be retired. The Monorails qualify and the MK-VI are barely half that age.
The MK-VIs (according to internet talk) were delivered and fit the existing monorial beams BUT there were problems with fit going into the Hotel entrances/ramp areas. Expensive work had to be done to get the new MK-VI's operational on the beams to fit through the hotels... go figure.. I understand lawsuits were involved.
As for looks of a new monorail, what would be considered. Could they keep the pointy lear jet look of the current MK-VI's??? They certainly are iconic and have been the only design at the WDW park since opening. But after that MAJOR accident where the one monrails crashed, one monorial nose telescoped into the the other with tragic results, would they build that design again??
Immediately after that accident, guests were not allowed in the driver cabs, though they are allowed in the driver cabs at DisneyLand. Is this a difference in safety build between the two trains????
My thoughts are, for a sense of safety, a replacement monorail will not have the lear jet sleek driver cab nose. The design could go similar to the Disneyland Monos in a much larger scale, but I read that Disney said the MK-7 design won't go to WDW.
So a modified design, similar to the new Las Vegas Monos may be in mind. Those trains are running on the same type of beam, same size as the old MK-IV's that were bought from WDW ran on them for several years. I don't believe the suspensions were changed, but not an impossibility.
If you recall the monorails in the movie Jurassic World, they had a very open look, lots of glass on the sides, and had a very similar look to the Las Vegas monos. And yes, I realize the Jurassic World monorials don't exist, but the look they portrayed was clean, slick and made the bull front drive cab nose look acceptable.
Unsure how the seating could be set up. Disney has tried a couple of different arrangements for max passenger capacities and flow through. I don't believe the seating arrangement of the MK-7 would enhance the walk through movement of guests very well at a WDW loading platform.
I read where someone mentioned they would like to see the monorail floors level with the loading deck. As I recall, that is pretty hard to accomplish as the top of the rail is level with the loading deck floor. Perhaps they could raise the loading deck floor to match the monorail floor????? Costly to do.
Personally, the MK-IV was my favorite. It was the original design to WDW, and it was an entirely different time for the new park resort. Things have come a long way since then.
Time will tell what will happen, economics will play a big hand in this decision. $$$

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom