Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Disone

Peach was the third one done. 8 trains have been painted.
I missed that Peach was done but yes.... She Looks okay. From today......

20180705_155105_Burst50.jpg

Lensman

With proper maintenance stuff can last a long time, just look at the B-52, most flying today are 55 years old and still going strong. Pilots flying them today weren't born when they were built
The longevity of the B-52H platform is indeed amazing, but it is an exception rather than the rule (though there are other military aircraft that have had similarly long service lives). Plus maintenance per flight hour has "creeped" up from $10,000 to $72,000 (adjusted to 2018 dollars). And this is exclusive of the costs of upgrades and refits over the years.

I suspect this is another example of "they don't make 'em like they used to".

I just discovered that the Air Force plans to operate the B-52 through the 2050s!

Disone

I guess what I saw was the stripe and how the sun hit the stripe made it look freshly painted.
Totally! I was surprised Peach was done. I think I made the same mistake with peach only in reverse. I've always found Peach to look somewhat like a dirty yellow and I think just from the distance I just kind of assumed she was still dirty and hadn't been done yet. Up close she looked good. Still don't like the shade of Peach.

I'm on the fence with monorail green, so I'm leaning towards she has not been done yet. She may have been washed but I don't think she's been repainted. There are still areas of uneven white and some parts where the paint is bubbled. I'm assuming the bubbling has come with age. Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of green today.

Disone

Well there hasn't been much news since Bob Gurr's comments hit Youtube. Today I had a conversation with a transportation Duty manager. It was actually unaware of video and doubts but.... He was in a high-level meeting not long ago. The general conclusion on the current fleet was that there is no manufacturer that can provide a viable replacement and they need to hold on to them for another 10 years. They believe they can get another 10 years out of them.

I do not. Not at this stage anyway.

I should have asked him what they will do in another 10 years, if there's not a viable replacement manufacturer now, what happens in 10 years?

:(

Squishy

Well there hasn't been much news since Bob Gurr's comments hit Youtube. Today I had a conversation with a transportation Duty manager. It was actually unaware of video and doubts but.... He was in a high-level meeting not long ago. The general conclusion on the current fleet was that there is no manufacturer that can provide a viable replacement and they need to hold on to them for another 10 years. They believe they can get another 10 years out of them.

I should have asked him what they will do in another 10 years, if there's not a viable replacement manufacturer now, what happens in 10 years?

Won't last another 10 years, They're gonna slowly fall apart until something happens.

lazyboy97o

That just makes no sense, as the Mark VI is essentially still being sold.

Rteetz

Well....

That’s not quite the plan.

Bombardier is a viable replacement manufacturer but they aren’t quick.

There’s more I can’t quite discuss yet.

JoeCamel

More research sir please.....

Disone

More research sir please.....
That kind of was. My ears perked up when I found out his role at Disney. I asked and was disappointed in the answer. Honestly a Duty manager is only one step up from a Guest Service Manager, so still not executive level. He did mention George K was at the meeting.

s8film40

That kind of was. My ears perked up when I found out his role at Disney. I asked and was disappointed in the answer. Honestly a Duty manager is only one step up from a Guest Service Manager, so still not executive level. He did mention George K was at the meeting.
From what I remember Duty Managers were not so much a role or position but rather an assignment. The duty manager was sort of the go to person at any given point for transportation as a whole. Seemed to me more often than not they were a bus manger and had little to no knowledge of monorails. Occasionally sometimes the monorail GSM's would do it and I'm sure the opposite was true.

Flalex72

Did they explain what was meant by “viable replacement”?

If Bombardier is the only company that can supply new monorails, there could be a timing issue. The Bombardier plant just outside Kingston, Ontario is their monorail production facility in North America, and though it has significant test capabilities, it is not a large manufacturing centre. Due to significant issues at their Thunder Bay plant with the production of streetcars for Toronto's TTC causing major delays, Bombardier has begun production of LRVs for Toronto's Metrolinx, Waterloo's GRT/ion, and Edmonton's ETS at the Kingston Plant, a significant expansion. On top of this, they are also beginning to build additional TTC streetcars in Kingston. All of these customers are significant for Bombardier, and keeping the major public transit agencies happy is key to Bombardier's success, much more so than building a dozen monorails. To put it in perspective, the TTC order is for over 200 vehicles, and the Metrolinx order over 150.

With the Kingston plant tied up with a number of orders, production of new monorails may not be possible until the early 2020s. While it is possible that they could start up a production line in Plattsburgh, NY for monorails, it seems doubtful that this would be economically feasible for such a small order, and we know Disney would probably be happy to wait a few years if it saved them some cash.

articos

I don’t doubt a duty manager said this, but he/she is not accurately informed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom