Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

_caleb

The monorail was supposed to be a very serious demonstration piece. It didn’t even have a Point B when it opened. The monorail became central to the Florida Project because Walt thought of it as a serious means of transportation. WED Transportation Systems was not looking to sell to amusement parks but actual transit agencies. What set the Walt Disney World monorail apart was being part of vision of what transportation could be, not just its worst reality.
This was my point. Only you said it really well and I said it in a way that made no sense at all. Thanks!

crxbrett

If I remember right, there wasn't always an express line. I seem to remember from my stay at the Poly back in 1988 that both sides made all stops, just going in different directions. Am I misremembering or can any of our historians confirm?

I don't believe they ever were. Watching some old videos on Youtube now, and I noticed back then there were no railings installed on the opposite platform indicating guests were able to; which is how those platforms on the other side still look today. Also, there's no elevator access as far as I know on the other side and stairwell access only.

Disone

Anyone know how this thread went from talking about the possibility of getting new monorails to discussing different TV providers?

We did not have a one-track mind? The topic got derailed? We all got sidetracked?

:)

All of the above. Possibly because this thread went from excitement disappointment very quickly. A couple of days ago I really believe there was something to this. Now I'm inclined to believe that new monorails are not on the way.

New question about the monorail's, would we settle for a complete refurbishment of the existing Fleet? I guess if you look at the average age of passenger trains, both Amtrak style and commuter style, it's easy to make the argument that Rolling Stock should last much longer than 25 years. How these monorails got to these condition in just 25 years might be indicative of perhaps not the best maintenance plan. I've been on commuter rail systems that see similar traffic patterns, thousands of guests riding them per day. Lots of stops and starts. And yet the Rolling Stock is in better condition. Air conditioners work, doors open and close as they're supposed to, train is fully automated and doesn't struggle to line up with the stations.

So is it time for a new fleet, or is it time to maintain this Fleet to the standard it should be? Can this Fleet be brought back up to that standard?

tl77

I thought they were going to roll out a driver-less monorail in the near future, is that not going to happen anymore?

esskay

New question about the monorail's, would we settle for a complete refurbishment of the existing Fleet? I guess if you look at the average age of passenger trains, both Amtrak style and commuter style, it's easy to make the argument that Rolling Stock should last much longer than 25 years. How these monorails got to these condition in just 25 years might be indicative of perhaps not the best maintenance plan. I've been on commuter rail systems that see similar traffic patterns, thousands of guests riding them per day. Lots of stops and starts. And yet the Rolling Stock is in better condition. Air conditioners work, doors open and close as they're supposed to, train is fully automated and doesn't struggle to line up with the stations.

So is it time for a new fleet, or is it time to maintain this Fleet to the standard it should be? Can this Fleet be brought back up to that standard?

TBH I think it's gone too far for that. Sure, they can up the maintenance now, and even refurbish the units. But the cost to get the back into the state you'd expect them to be would be very high I'd imagine. They should be doing this anyway given even with the best deal, there wont be new trains for at least 2-3 years, and even then it'd have to be a staggered introduction.

Rich Brownn

Growing up in Florida and being a guy who's been going since 1975 (5yo then) I remember there always being a resort line and an express line though they've switched directions and sides over time.
I drove monorails in 1974-1976. There was an express line then. I was told when first opened both trains circled in the same direction but "drag racing" put a stop to that.

mousehockey37

I don't think that the stock price (cost) is the actual biggest factor concerning transportation, but reliability and efficiency are. The monorail simply isn't as efficient or scalable as other forms of possible transport.

The Skyliner actually proves this. With the amount they are spending for that system, they could have definitely gone cheaper. But the efficiency and reliability is pretty much unmatched.
Here we go again....

1:08-1:20 of this clip should be helpful...

lazyboy97o

New question about the monorail's, would we settle for a complete refurbishment of the existing Fleet?
I don’t think an entirely new fleet is worth the expense. Why would a Mark V style rebuild be so bad? Most everything would be still be replaced. I do think it’d be good for the fleet to expand, even just to 14 trains, to help provide more down time for the trains.

I thought they were going to roll out a driver-less monorail in the near future, is that not going to happen anymore?
They’re already automated.

Lensman

I'm excited about the idea of new monorails, but I definitely am nostalgic and think of the monorails as both magical and iconic of Disneyland (as a ride) and particularly WDW (as a reason for staying at a monorail resort). I will sometimes try to arrange our touring plans so that we "have to" take the monorail from MK to Epcot. :)

I wonder whether kids nowadays are as excited about riding the monorail? Has there been a thread about that?

In contrast, I don't have the same feelings about the Epcot parking tram. :) They should feel free to replace it with whatever mode of transportation makes the most sense economically and for customer convenience.

The boats are nice to ride but I don't have particularly strong feelings about them.

I wonder if self-driving shuttles directly from the TTC parking to the MK front entrance would work out? Off topic, I know. Is there a thread for that? I haven't been able to find one.

CanadianGordon

I honestly would love to see RuPaul's Drag Race at Disney but that's a whole nuther thread.. :)

For me I'd be sad if they got rid of the monorails, and then there's the problem of the massive beams being in the way. I could see removing some of them, if the worst were to happen, but you're talking tons of work inside the parks that just would be super disruptive. Not worth it.
For me they're part of the magic.

celluloid

To those are who claim it just a transportation piece.

The Walt Disney World Monorail is an iconic part people look forward too, just because it is not run my an "attractions" department does not take away the fact that people from around the world and locals look forward to riding it not just for convenience, but for the experience. It is a BRANDING situation when it comes to toys that charge a premium for plastic that metal and hardwired HO scale train sets wish they could charge for. Its a multi million dollar experience that people look forward to when staying onsite. A bus is just as convenient if not more so, but the second you see it going through or by those resort hotels or the general public do in a commercial, that is where they want to stay.

If you see it only as transportation and that is what you get out of it that is cool. But you are also stating what it is as fact when its design has a little more than an elevated single rail L train. You can take away the work put into it and see it as the same idea vegas and other urban areas have, but it is odd how you.

One of the biggest lies is that Monorails are not a revenue driver. They are a huge revenue driver. As someone who used to work in the DRC finances can tell you. So many millions a year based on people wanting to stay on a monorail route resort.

When you can make millions off of that and brand it through Toys, T-shirts, Socks and various themed stationary that you seel at theme park premium exclusive prices, you have something ingrained that is more than just a transit system. It became a right of passage for better or for worse. If your opinion is that it is worse, so be it. But it does not change reality. It is an experience for people and it is a huge revenue maker.
The Eiffel Tower is just a tall ugly Oil Rig abstract art in Paris, but to some people it is a beautiful work of art and triumph that gives a spectacular view. Opinions.

The way the majority of people see the monorail who are paying Disney Customers and resort guests however, is factual.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Then if I were you I would never leave my house, because there are many, many unforeseen dangers out there and things happen that are completely out of anyone's control. It's alright to be concerned and look for reassurance that this isn't a normal problem, but, to act like it is in anyone's power to control everything that might happen, is just plain foolishness.

Look up on line and see how many people are killed or injured just sitting in their own home, when objects fall from the sky, incompetent or influenced driver place their vehicles through your walls landing on your favorite chair while you are still in it. Or electrical malfunctions. There is no place that can guarantee complete protection from freak things happening. You can huddle in a corner or take your chances and get out and experience life with all of it's unknown dangers and challenges and actually live life.

Haha ok. Thanks for the life lesson, but I’m good. Might wanna slow down with the insight and inner reflection. Didn’t know an expectation of safety was so an agregious topic, but I stand by my expectations that the monorail doors should stay closed during my WDW visit, and that they do stay closed every time.

Goofyernmost

Two Mark IVs from Walt Disney World were sold to Las Vegas, not the Mark Vs from Disneyland. One Mark V was sacrificed for reverse engineering.
OK, gotcha!
Haha ok. Thanks for the life lesson, but I’m good. Might wanna slow down with the insight and inner reflection. Didn’t know an expectation of safety was so an agregious topic, but I stand by my expectations that the monorail doors should stay closed during my WDW visit, and that they do stay closed every time.
Wasn't really trying to be teaching a life lesson, but, instead trying to get people to put things in prospective. Even though I don't think one of us wants at door to open while we are riding the Monorail, it has happened, to our knowledge, once in 30 or 40 years and the drama is expanded to an overwhelming degree. But, whatever, I do wonder if we put the same demands of perfection on ourselves as we do Disney (which by the way are also run by humans). But, be that as it may, people will make a huge deal out of it when it isn't necessary and it hurts the place that we all seem to be so quick to say we love beyond all things. The only other lesson would be crap happens. When you least expect it... expect it. and about 700 other cliches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom