Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

tl77

I don’t think an entirely new fleet is worth the expense. Why would a Mark V style rebuild be so bad? Most everything would be still be replaced. I do think it’d be good for the fleet to expand, even just to 14 trains, to help provide more down time for the trains.

They’re already automated.
The current ones, from 1989? are the automated ones? They no longer have to push buttons to open the doors, but that's not the same thing as a driver-less train

Cesar R M

I don't think that the stock price (cost) is the actual biggest factor concerning transportation, but reliability and efficiency are. The monorail simply isn't as efficient or scalable as other forms of possible transport.

The Skyliner actually proves this. With the amount they are spending for that system, they could have definitely gone cheaper. But the efficiency and reliability is pretty much unmatched.
What other option did they had? more buses? their roads are pretty full already. And they have to share most of the routes with normal everyday citizens and other routes with cast members/maintenance stuff.

articos

There has always been an express line, and it was planned that way. The guideways were cast with the most cost efficient use of material and space in mind, which is why they are parallel. As Rich said, drivers “racing” put a stop to both trains traveling in the same direction. Express was never planned to regularly service passengers at the hotels.

The WDW monorail system was originally planned as a futuristic transportation system that was an attraction in its own right, without being an actual attraction, selling the idea of leaving the outside world behind. Important to the idea of selling it as a transportation system and getting a return on investment for the high costs of install, it was also a proof of concept, with the idea being to sell additional monorails (design, planning and manufacturing) to municipalities. WED thought they could sell their expertise and build monorails all over the country. It did not work out that way.

the.dreamfinder

There has always been an express line, and it was planned that way. The guideways were cast with the most cost efficient use of material and space in mind, which is why they are parallel. As Rich said, drivers “racing” put a stop to both trains traveling in the same direction. Express was never planned to regularly service passengers at the hotels.

The WDW monorail system was originally planned as a futuristic transportation system that was an attraction in its own right, without being an actual attraction, selling the idea of leaving the outside world behind. Important to the idea of selling it as a transportation system and getting a return on investment for the high costs of install, it was also a proof of concept, with the idea being to sell additional monorails (design, planning and manufacturing) to municipalities. WED thought they could sell their expertise and build monorails all over the country. It did not work out that way.
😭
I’m always astonished by how poorly most urban/suburban areas are planned in the US. There’s an enormous opportunity to rethink the American city. Perhaps not exactly to the letter of E.P.C.O.T., but in the spirit of people oriented city planning. Too bad this Disney Company can’t meet that need.

Kamikaze

😭
I’m always astonished by how poorly most urban/suburban areas are planned in the US. There’s an enormous opportunity to rethink the American city. Perhaps not exactly to the letter of E.P.C.O.T., but in the spirit of people oriented city planning. Too bad this Disney Company can’t meet that need.

The Walt Disney Company doesn't do urban planning.

Walt Disney - the man - wanted to. When he died, it was never going to happen.

Disone

The current ones, from 1989? are the automated ones? They no longer have to push buttons to open the doors, but that's not the same thing as a driver-less train
Yes, the current 1989 fleet has been automated. A cm does still sit in the nose cone, however the train is driving itself. They are not operating the throttle, they are not operating the brake, the train is doing that on its own. The CM is on board to make PA announcements and to handle emergencies should there be any. This change was made a few years ago. It is well documented all over the internet.

CaptainAmerica

I'm excited about the idea of new monorails, but I definitely am nostalgic and think of the monorails as both magical and iconic of Disneyland (as a ride) and particularly WDW (as a reason for staying at a monorail resort). I will sometimes try to arrange our touring plans so that we "have to" take the monorail from MK to Epcot. :)

I wonder whether kids nowadays are as excited about riding the monorail? Has there been a thread about that?

In contrast, I don't have the same feelings about the Epcot parking tram. :) They should feel free to replace it with whatever mode of transportation makes the most sense economically and for customer convenience.

The boats are nice to ride but I don't have particularly strong feelings about them.

I wonder if self-driving shuttles directly from the TTC parking to the MK front entrance would work out? Off topic, I know. Is there a thread for that? I haven't been able to find one.
That's really funny because my daughter is OBSESSED with the parking trams. If we don't rent a car, she begs us to ride the tram round trip just so she can get on it.

lazyboy97o

Disney’s decision to utilize operators to engage certain functions is an operational choice. The system is the same one used by places like Las Vegas that do not employ pilots.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The monorail is one of my few "Must-Do's" on any trip, along with ToT and Splash. It's also, based on what I heard second-hand, one of two things that kids are remembering the most from their WDW trips (pools are the other "most memorable" thing). Let that sink in for a moment... Looking at things thru that paradigm, new monorails make more sense than continually refurbishing 30 year old monorails. As long as any new monorail trains would have that same hum while traveling along the track, I'm good. :)

And I've said this before - The day they get rid of the monorails is likely the day I stop going to WDW. It is that integral to the overall WDW experience for me.

n2hifi

I only stay at the Monorail resorts when I visit. I use my car for all other transportation around the resort even though I never leave Disney property. I cannot stand the buses. I have done the boats before, but only when the Monorail is down or geting to WL. I would say it is an essential part of our vacation, not just transportation from point A to B. I am sure I am not the only one willing to pay more to have access to it daily. Were the monorail not available, I would likely stay off property.

mhochman

Goofyernmost

I was going to add that and you beat me to it. It is obviously viewed by some as an important part of the WDW experience, even if it's simply to direct people to those expensive hotels.
Well, then they wasted their money. I have stayed onsite (never a Monorail hotel) only once in 35 years and 45 trips. And yet, but, by some bit of magic I have ridden those trains in the sky just about every time I have gone there. So I guess it can be done without spending $1000. per night to do it. I noticed that too. Of three things they focused on it was Animal Kingdom Lodge (which is as far away from the Monorails that you can get), Star Wars which is a full year or more away and the Monorail which apparently is still considered a draw. Pray that they always feel that way and we will keep them because as soon as they decide that it is just an expense they will be gone in a flash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom