Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

CAV

Let's not forget all the new cupcakes and upcharge dessert parties that come before this happens.
Yesterday morning, after breakfast at Kona Cafe, the line for the monorail was 3-4people wide and stretched all the way back to the Ohana check in stand. A CM was saying, "The monorail is down. We don't what is wrong and we don't know how long it will be."

My wife and I hustled it down to the marina and caught a boat just as it was pulling up.

This is just inexcusable.

Victor Kelly

Same thin happened in 2015. Monorail broke, and we were at Grand Floridian for breakfast. Had to take the boat to get to MK. They don't need refurbs they need replacing. They whole network of computers and electrical supply systems need replacing. The beamways probably need replacement as well. 50 years old and all, ya know.

Disone

To be fair, in the video he noted it's probably bad clipart and even delved into that Bombardier client rumor and thinks it's not Disney. Bayden might be energetic, but he seems to try to be factual and not spread complete BS.
I do agree. His first theory was bad clip art but them he spent a really long time in the second theory. Also, to me anyway, that is not the Innovia 300. It is a clip art of the current Innovia 200 trains running in Las Vegas. Those would actually be able to run on the WDW beams.

But in the end it really is just a clip art. My opinion only, When WDW purchased the trsins they may have been slapped with a 20 year life span, but that was likely more for accounting purposes. Trains can and do last much longer then this and I believe, for better or for worst, increase maintenance of existing fleet is the direction WDW has decided to go.

I personally would have been all aboard for new trains.

jt04

I do agree. His first theory was bad clip art but them he spent a really long time in the second theory. Also, to me anyway, that is not the Innovia 300. It is a clip art of the current Innovia 200 trains running in Las Vegas. Those would actually be able to run on the WDW beams.

But in the end it really is just a clip art. My opinion only, When WDW purchased the trsins they may have been slapped with a 20 year life span, but that was likely more for accounting purposes. Trains can and do last much longer then this and I believe, for better or for worst, increase maintenance of existing fleet is the direction WDW has decided to go.

Exactly right on lifespan. As long as they replace parts as needed they can literally last forever. And I have yet to see a design superior to the current WDW trains.

That said I think they should keep the MK loop as is. But they should consider completely new tech for the Epcot beams. Perhaps not involving monorails at all.

Kman101

They should have completely refurbed the current line about 10 years ago ... they need new trains. They're just avoiding the inevitable at this point, which is par for the course.

esskay

Same thin happened in 2015. Monorail broke, and we were at Grand Floridian for breakfast. Had to take the boat to get to MK. They don't need refurbs they need replacing. They whole network of computers and electrical supply systems need replacing. The beamways probably need replacement as well. 50 years old and all, ya know.
Can we not start with the hysterical posts on this again, it's been done to death here :rolleyes:

- The monorail vehicles are aging, we all know that
- They need replacing, or modernising, we also all know that
- The wiring is fine, it was replaced when thales did the automation system, again we all know that
- The beams are also fine and there is no evidence to suggest they are even close to needing any replacement, even the cheaper epcot ones. At most the epcot one needs a new top coat to smooth the ride out a tad.

The monorails go down all the time, your one time experience 5 years ago wasn't an exception or unexpected. Case in point, in September twice in a week I got stuck on a monorail, followed by a late kickout at MK where a monorail stalled coming into the station, shutting down the network at its busiest time and causing a ~2 hour delay waiting for boats.

One thing to also remember - theres absolutely nothing wrong with the frames of the monorails, so should they decide to they'll just take one out of service a time, completely gut it and replace its motors, fix the door design flaws, sort the AC out etc and they'll happily go for another 25 years. A fair chunk of the monorails issues are simply down to a lack of maintenance. Maintained correctly the current fleet can theoretically stay in service for a LONG time, no matter how much we'd all like to see shiny new modern trains.

CAV

Can we not start with the hysterical posts on this again, it's been done to death here :rolleyes:

- The wiring is fine, it was replaced when thales did the automation system, again we all know that
- The beams are also fine and there is no evidence to suggest they are even close to needing any replacement, even the cheaper epcot ones. At most the epcot one needs a new top coat to smooth the ride out a tad.

The monorails go down all the time, your one time experience 5 years ago wasn't an exception or unexpected. Case in point, in September twice in a week I got stuck on a monorail, followed by a late kickout at MK where a monorail stalled coming into the station, shutting down the network at its busiest time and causing a ~2 hour delay waiting for boats.

One thing to also remember - theres absolutely nothing wrong with the frames of the monorails, so should they decide to they'll just take one out of service a time, completely gut it and replace its motors, fix the door design flaws, sort the AC out etc and they'll happily go for another 25 years. A fair chunk of the monorails issues are simply down to a lack of maintenance. Maintained correctly the current fleet can theoretically stay in service for a LONG time, no matter how much we'd all like to see shiny new modern trains.
We didn't know you had to approve our posts. Sorry. We will do better in the future.

Victor Kelly

The hysterical person is you bubba.

jt04

That last paragraph says it all. They could always take one monorail off-line and do a complete overhaul and then just keep repeating the process. And it shouldn't cost half a billion.

jt04

They could have but they haven't. The monorails are tired. Folks need to understand they have a shelf life.

I have to think that if the frames are sound then everything else is replaceable.

The exterior skin and newly refurbished interiors look great. But I admit I don't know anything about their shelf life. Seems to be some disparity of opinion here.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
That last paragraph says it all. They could always take one monorail off-line and do a complete overhaul and then just keep repeating the process. And it shouldn't cost half a billion.
They could have but they haven't. The monorails are tired. Folks need to understand they have a shelf life.
Except they have been doing exactly that for the past 3 years. Monorails are in 100% better shape than they were 10 years ago.
Downtime and reliability have improved tremendously. I would say you have a better chance of getting delayed on the brand new skyliner than the 30 year old Monorail.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

tenor.gif

DDLand

Thoughts from my last visit...

The monorail’s problems are much bigger than poor maintenance. The general layout of the monorails were designed in the 1960s*. Since the 1960s, Americans have become fatter and utilize wheelchairs, scooters, and strollers to a greater degree. This results in reduced capacity. When one person is taking up the place of two, and one stroller is taking up the place of four, you see capacity decline measurably. To make matters worse, the monorails are not at level with the station platform. This means ramps have to be pulled out so wheelchairs and scooters can be accommodated. This drastically increases the amount of time it takes to load at each station. With new security checks at the hotels and general high attendance, we also can observe the station platforms overcrowding. The cars are too small for a modern mass transit system. Both height and width can leave guests constrained. All of this issues are solvable with modern mass transit solutions.

They need new trains, new stations, and probably new track to provide a world class experience. Improvements like larger stations, bigger cabins, and at level doors would drastically improve the customer experience. Other mass-transit systems are moving towards connected cabins. That means if one cabin is too crowded, guests can move through the train to another less crowded car. They also need to be running more than two monorails on the resort line. It should feel like a monorail is arriving constantly.

The amount of manpower it takes to operate a monorail at each station is crazy. Gates could open and close automatically, and it would also measurably improve monorail speed. I do understand Disney’s hesitancy to just leave the station open to the beam.

What would this cost? It would cost lots of money. Though some small company back in the late 1960s decided to do the same thing media conglomerate Disney can’t do now. Disney has no reason to be making its customers suffer in these unreliable and dated trains. Disney of the 1960s did its job, and it’s time for the Disney of the 2020s to follow up.

*The Mark VI was different, but still a derivative of Mark IV

jt04

Thoughts from my last visit...

The monorail’s problems are much bigger than poor maintenance. The general layout of the monorails were designed in the 1960s*. Since the 1960s, Americans have become fatter and utilize wheelchairs, scooters, and strollers to a greater degree. This results in reduced capacity. When one person is taking up the place of two, and one stroller is taking up the place of four, you see capacity decline measurably. To make matters worse, the monorails are not at level with the station platform. This means ramps have to be pulled out so wheelchairs and scooters can be accommodated. This drastically increases the amount of time it takes to load at each station. With new security checks at the hotels and general high attendance, we also can observe the station platforms overcrowding. The cars are too small for a modern mass transit system. Both height and width can leave guests constrained. All of this issues are solvable with modern mass transit solutions.

They need new trains, new stations, and probably new track to provide a world class experience. Improvements like larger stations, bigger cabins, and at level doors would drastically improve the customer experience. Other mass-transit systems are moving towards connected cabins. That means if one cabin is too crowded, guests can move through the train to another less crowded car. They also need to be running more than two monorails on the resort line. It should feel like a monorail is arriving constantly.

The amount of manpower it takes to operate a monorail at each station is crazy. Gates could open and close automatically, and it would also measurably improve monorail speed. I do understand Disney’s hesitancy to just leave the station open to the beam.

What would this cost? It would cost lots of money. Though some small company back in the late 1960s decided to do the same thing media conglomerate Disney can’t do now. Disney has no reason to be making its customers suffer in these unreliable and dated trains. Disney of the 1960s did its job, and it’s time for the Disney of the 2020s to follow up.

*The Mark VI was different, but still a derivative of Mark IV

They aren't going to retrofit the stations. Any new trains could be only marginally larger.

I could see the day when strollers and wheelchairs are limited to busses and ferries due to space and evac considerations.

Creathir

They aren't going to retrofit the stations. Any new trains could be only marginally larger.

I could see the day when strollers and wheelchairs are limited to busses and ferries due to space and evac considerations.
This is hogwash.
If they get to that point, they’d probably just close it down.

Honestly, I could see them retrofitting the stations if they needed to. If the next train design uses a different door mechanism, altering the platforms to make for a level entry is not something unheard of nor impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom