• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

peter11435

In a large organization there are bound to be managers who fail to get things processed in a timely manner. At my current gig we have an organization that works with the managers who are using vendor resources to ensure bills are received and paid in a timely manner. And there are plenty of managers who have to be chased every month to ensure they are submitting or approving invoices.
And often there are reasons why the company didn’t pay. If the contractor didnt meet expectations based on the contract then they are right to refuse payment until the job is properly completed. The article linked to is vague and provides little details.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Advertisement
I order office supplies (among other duties) for a living, and I am not permitted to pay partial invoices.
I do not submit payment until the entire order is received.

gsimpson

This is called business as usual. Know your contracts and get them reviewed/written properly. Any company that fails to do so shouldn’t be in business anyways.
Often not quite that simple. The majority of these are liens filed by subs, they have to file against Disney instead of the general contractor because Disney owns the property/machine/item they performed work on. Fairly often these are "defensive" filings where the sub files after the work is done but before the retainage (typically 10 - 15%) that is held back is paid by Disney to the GC so that the GC has incentive to get the sub paid even though they have left the project. (if the sub doesn't get paid, Disney has a lien on their property, and you can be sure the GC will be taken to court). Another occurrence is the GC doesn't pay the final payments to any of the subs until all of the subs have finished because typically Disney (by example) won't pay the GC until everything is done and the sub is in the dark and doesn't understand why their final payment is not forth coming, one of the other subs might have had a viable reason for being late and that can cause the other subs to not get paid in a timely manner. In this industry a single "attraction" level project will have a GC and sometimes dozens of subs, many of whom are small specialized shops that do not have a large legal staff to make sure the contract are written "properly". I have worked on the construction/contracts side of many industries and more than any other industry I have been in this industry makes massive changes between the preliminary design documents (which are often used as the basis for bids) and the issue for construction documents (which is what has to be built to) that often cause one of more of the subs to have to go back to their engineering team (quite often a third party) that has to re-check and/or redo the calculations for part of the project and change the materials manifest, meanwhile a sub that is not affected by the change is in the predicament of having their work and invoicing slowed down which can tear up their cashflow. I apologize for being way toooo long winded, but I thought some folks might be interested in the more boring side of attractions.

AndyWDW

On our trip this last week our Minnie Van driver told us they were definitely ordering a new fleet of monorails from a Japanese company...not sure if there is any validity to this but just throwing it out there.

Voxel

President of Progress City
On our trip this last week our Minnie Van driver told us they were definitely ordering a new fleet of monorails from a Japanese company...not sure if there is any validity to this but just throwing it out there.
If I’m not mistaken the Tokyo Disneyland Monorail is built by Hitachi..

Obobru

When eventually something new is built I do hope it's like the Tokyo monorail in its internal layout as the Orlando one is awfully designed and a large amount of space is wasted. The Tokyo one isn't so sleek on the outside through but it's functional.

nace888

When eventually something new is built I do hope it's like the Tokyo monorail in its internal layout as the Orlando one is awfully designed and a large amount of space is wasted. The Tokyo one isn't so sleek on the outside through but it's functional.
The only internal modifications they could make would be the seating layout. Because of how small the Mark VIs are compared to the Tokyo Disney Monorail, the walkthrough cabins cannot exist. The Tokyo ones are MUCH larger, and therefore, the floor sits ABOVE the tires, not between.

NormC

Premium Member
Google the Bombardier Innovia 200 monorail (not metro) and you will see what WDW will get with minor modifications.

matt9112

The only internal modifications they could make would be the seating layout. Because of how small the Mark VIs are compared to the Tokyo Disney Monorail, the walkthrough cabins cannot exist. The Tokyo ones are MUCH larger, and therefore, the floor sits ABOVE the tires, not between.
i have a grinder lets get to work on the contemporary. even thought i know they wont do it makes sense long term to change everything to run wider and taller trains and just engineer it to still run on the smaller beam so your just changing every station. who knows could increase capacity 20% maybe lots of possibilities.

monothingie

Unscrupulous Mean Girl Man since 2005
Premium Member
Just want to bump this by saying I’ve been riding the monorails the last two days and I have to say I am genuinely impressed as to how good they look and how well they’ve been running. Coral is spectacular and looks fantastic inside and out. Lime with Blue deltas looks great as well.

Even the ones that were refurbed initially still look great.

Credit were credit is due, good job to Disney Transportation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Just want to bump this by saying I’ve been riding the monorails the last two days and I have to say I am genuinely impressed as to how good they look and how well they’ve been running. Coral is spectacular and looks fantastic inside and out. Lime with Blue deltas looks great as well.

Credit were credit is due, good job to Disney Transportation.
Good to see some needed love and funding

Top Bottom