New MK welcome show debuts Jan. 9th

BrerJon

Finally, 'rope drop' means 'rope drop', not 'turnstiles open'. As a kid Main Street was always open early, and one of the magical parts of a Disney trip was how you could get in there, soak up the atmosphere, and get ready and settled before commandoing the Kingdom. Making everyone have to wait outside was always a strange move to make.

DashboardCowMan

Finally, 'rope drop' means 'rope drop', not 'turnstiles open'. As a kid Main Street was always open early, and one of the magical parts of a Disney trip was how you could get in there, soak up the atmosphere, and get ready and settled before commandoing the Kingdom. Making everyone have to wait outside was always a strange move to make.
I do seem to remember going through the tunnels and being stopped on the other side of the flag pole. Then CMs would walk towards the castle holding a rope until they got to, I think, the intersection that splits off to the different areas. Or maybe I dreamed it.

DisneyDreamer08

As much as I love the current opening show, I don't hate this idea. As a family who only travels to Disney once every few years, we are always so torn between running to our first ride, and stopping on Main St to take adorable castle pictures of the kids :) I like the thought of walking down Main St, really savoring the early morning sights & sounds, maybe grabbing breakfast or a coffee. It sounds like a nice way to start the day; instead of being jammed out front, shoulder to shoulder. Waiting to get into Epcot this past September, 8:30am, already 90 degrees, in the blazing sun, baby already screaming to get out the stroller, was the most unpleasant way to start our day. I'll take a stroll down Main St any day :)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This is a return to what was done for decades, and what is still done at DL. Guests enter the park and can enjoy Main Street until official opening time. The fact that it's taken 15 years for TDO to switch back to the correct procedure from the insane sardine stuffing at the Mickey floral is insane.

Only TDO can claim they are "enhancing" something by taking it back to the way it was done years ago, when it was a much better experience. Honestly, their press releases in recent years are enough to make one want to vomit. Repeatedly.

nolatron

I wonder if having the show on that stage with cause them to close the tunnel through the castle like they do during the day shows or not. I guess it depends on how elaborate they get with this maybe?

I'm glad they're doing something to help with the gate crowds but I'll sure miss that empty Main St & hub walk for an early breakfast before park opening.

Bolna

I think it also makes a lot of sense from a safety perspective. I have done rope drop at MK many times and even on days when it is not very crowded, the rush of people through the tunnels under the train station and then onto Main Street with whole families trying to run as quickly as possible to the E-Ticket of their choice never seemed safe to me. At all the other three parks there always seemed to be CMs walking you to the big attractions to prevent running as much as possible. But MK was just a mad stampede all the way to the hub. Now they can do exactly what the other parks do as well.

And while the little show with the train was nice, I never found a great spot to watch it from, it was just too high up when you are standing between the turnstiles and the station.

ToTBellHop

I'll be honest. For the last five years, every time I've gone to MK, I've watched this Welcome Show and proceeded to try to find all of the lands. Having never found the seventh land of make-believe, I haven't been on a single ride since 2011. Thank you, 2017, for endeavoring to be better than 2016. Looking forward to that Mermaid ride I've heard such good things about!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have "seen" the welcome show a handful of times. Usually I am just catching glimpses of the tops of everyones heads as I get jostled around. I am a little bummed that my pre-opening ADR just got hijacked by the masses, but overall, this is a welcome change. Get it? Welcome? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Princess Leia

You're vastly misunderstanding how this is going to play out. If you have a breakfast reservation at 8:05, it's still going to be super empty. People aren't going to start waking up at 6:00 AM to get to the Magic Kingdom for 7:45 just so they can piddle around Main Street for an hour.
Well... my friends and I might next year... My family always did rope drop growing up, and with the cost of a WDW ticket, I don't understand why most people don't get there when the park opens. Next November, you can find me somewhere on Main Street USA windowshopping at 8:15.

WDWFantasmicFan

As sad as this is to see the train show go, it has certainly gone downhill in recent years. I remember back in 2006 when the train came in during the show, it was jam packed full of characters, most carriages full, but now only a small handful of characters come along. I'm going to reserve judgement until the new welcome show debuts on Castle Forecourt Stage in January...

PiratesMansion

For me, this is win-win. Come before park open and not have to squeeze into the tiny space between the entrance and the tunnels? Being able to move around on Main Street and explore for "extra" time? Not being forced to watch a corny show that needed to be updated and not being in a claustrophobic area to do it (but for those concerned, Disney will probably make sure it'll be difficult to ignore the new corny show)? Be still, my heart. To me that's an improvement. I'd certainly Disney make more money this way than by putting up more cabanas. Better for everyone.

Disneyland already does it this way (and several non-Disney parks do too) and it's much more pleasant. I thought the old way was miserable and there was literally no incentive to do it that way other than maybe being a little cheaper to staff (but that's more than offset by people eating breakfast, going to Starbucks, buying a plush, etc.). Why start your day at the Magic Kingdom impersonating a Sardine at 8:30 in the morning when it's already mildly hot and uncomfortable outside?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom