New MK welcome show debuts Jan. 9th

mikenatcity1

Didn't Disneyland used to open up Main Street before rope drop? I honestly think it's a good idea. Congestion in the front can get to be a lot, plus from the sound of it, the show itself will better reflect the current main theming of Magic Kingdom (similar to New Fantasyland, Festival of Fantasy, MRFF, etc.).

On heavy crowd days they do- i've been there many times when Main Street is opened to the end (only to the same spot of Casey's Corner). The only store to usually be open is Starbucks (sometimes others).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
For me, this is win-win. Come before park open and not have to squeeze into the tiny space between the entrance and the tunnels? Being able to move around on Main Street and explore for "extra" time? Not being forced to watch a corny show that needed to be updated and not being in a claustrophobic area to do it (but for those concerned, Disney will probably make sure it'll be difficult to ignore the new corny show)? Be still, my heart. To me that's an improvement. I'd certainly Disney make more money this way than by putting up more cabanas. Better for everyone.

Disneyland already does it this way (and several non-Disney parks do too) and it's much more pleasant. I thought the old way was miserable and there was literally no incentive to do it that way other than maybe being a little cheaper to staff (but that's more than offset by people eating breakfast, going to Starbucks, buying a plush, etc.). Why start your day at the Magic Kingdom impersonating a Sardine at 8:30 in the morning when it's already mildly hot and uncomfortable outside?

This really isn't an improvement, in the truest sense of the word. Main Street used to be open an hour before park open in the 80's and 90's. So the reality of this "enhancement" is TDO simply going back to doing things the way they used to be done 15+ years ago, when it was a far better experience, IMHO. You got to look thru the Emporium, when it didn't span the length of Main Street, plus the other Main Street shops that no longer exist, grab a bite to eat or a coffee, like my parents did...

Now, if you'll excuse me, simply mentioning this as an "enhancement" and thinking about TDO's press releases makes me want to projectile vomit... :D

CaptainAmerica

Well... my friends and I might next year... My family always did rope drop growing up, and with the cost of a WDW ticket, I don't understand why most people don't get there when the park opens. Next November, you can find me somewhere on Main Street USA windowshopping at 8:15.
That's my point though. Your family always did rope drop, meaning you continuing to do rope drop will be nothing new. The crowd isn't growing, it'll be the same size as it's always been. Same number of people in a bigger space = less crowded.

Plus, you said 8:15. The people with the 8:05 Crystal Palace reservations will be getting there at 7:45, meaning they'll still have the empty Main Street that @disney4life2008 wants.

Princess Leia

That's my point though. Your family always did rope drop, meaning you continuing to do rope drop will be nothing new. The crowd isn't growing, it'll be the same size as it's always been. Same number of people in a bigger space = less crowded.

Plus, you said 8:15. The people with the 8:05 Crystal Palace reservations will be getting there at 7:45, meaning they'll still have the empty Main Street that @disney4life2008 wants.
No worries :) I don't see this ruining MSUSA or anything. It's a good idea, and it's probably a lot safer too.

21stamps

Could say the same for Starbucks :depressed:
I had to read this 3 times to make sure I read correctly. Two words- Crazy Talk.

Regarding the "Disney will make money" statements. Do we care? Isn't it mutually beneficial? Offering something that people (most people) want is not a bad thing.
Why would anyone want to stand outside of the gates for an hour with nothing to do..and worse, no coffee in hand?

The only people that I can see this having an effect on is the Early Morning Magic peeps. Hopefully they can still walk through the castle and hopefully Fantasyland still stays closed to the masses until exactly 9am.

CaptainAmerica

I had to read this 3 times to make sure I read correctly. Two words- Crazy Talk.

Regarding the "Disney will make money" statements. Do we care? Isn't it mutually beneficial? Offering something that people (most people) want is not a bad thing.
Exactly, I make this argument all the time. Disney can't make money unless guests choose to give them money. If guests choose to give Disney money, it's because they're getting something they want in return. I'd rather have a large iced latte than $5.00. Disney would rather have $5.00 than a large iced latte. Ergo, I walk into Main Street Bakery (yes, it's called Main Street Bakery, not "Starbucks"), give them $5.00, and they give me a large iced latte. I'm better off, they're better off, and everyone is happy. The fact that they profited from my satisfaction doesn't bother me, it's the entire point of free enterprise. The voluntary exchange of goods and services benefits both the consumer and the producer.

Why would anyone want to stand outside of the gates for an hour with nothing to do..and worse, no coffee in hand?
And no easily accessible bathroom.

21stamps

Exactly, I make this argument all the time. Disney can't make money unless guests choose to give them money. If guests choose to give Disney money, it's because they're getting something they want in return. I'd rather have a large iced latte than $5.00. Disney would rather have $5.00 than a large iced latte. Ergo, I walk into Main Street Bakery (yes, it's called Main Street Bakery, not "Starbucks"), give them $5.00, and they give me a large iced latte. I'm better off, they're better off, and everyone is happy. The fact that they profited from my satisfaction doesn't bother me, it's the entire point of free enterprise. The voluntary exchange of goods and services benefits both the consumer and the producer.

And no easily accessible bathroom.
Ah the restrooms! I didn't even think of that, and it's one of the main things I usually have to consider lol.

I'm still trying to figure out when profit became a dirty word. Or when the exchange of goods at a price became a horrible occurrence. I'm wondering if everyone who hates the idea of Disney making money enjoys receiving a paycheck every week.

jrhwdw

Welcome Show, we hardly knew ye.

I am sad to lose this nostalgic show but it does make sense. I only hope that they keep the same song when it moves as a tribute to Debbie Reynolds.

After seeing that on GMA this morning(TBH, never knew that song came from Debbie) I'm thinking why can't they just use the same show minus the train and use a new theme song since we have 6 lands now?

As for the Storybook verse, the Welcome and Trolley Show has been around since 2002! They're older than Wishes!(which is NOT a bad thing!)so I don't think they had Storybook Circus in mind.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Having enjoyed that welcome show more times than I can count as well as getting chosen once to be the family of the day who rode the train from Mickey's Toontown (on our daughter's 5th birthday, no less), we will definitely miss this show. But, having visited many times pre-9/11, I remember strolling down main street and then waiting at the rope to Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. This will not alter our touring one bit except perhaps saving some quality park-touring time as now we can shop before opening.

We always travel at the most crowded times (two teachers with a school age daughter) and can definitely attest to the crowd issues in the mornings on some of the worst days - have seen people hurt, families separated, kids crying (nothing major, just not the best way to start a Disney day). Hopefully they will have a good show and this will, in fact, be a plus.

Goofnut1980

Main Street USA, Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and Mickey's Toontown Fair (which is now the Storybook Circus area) were the 7 lands when the song was first recorded.

Thanks!! I had no idea they considered Main Street a land. ha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom