New MK welcome show debuts Jan. 9th

AndyS2992

I'm going to miss that feeling of walking down Main Street with all the other rope droppers as the Main Street cast members stand on the curb and wave as they wish everyone a good morning.
But this isn't changing. The CMs will all still be there handing out pins and greeting people, guests will be still be walking down Main Street towards the castle for the show to start. It'll all be practically the same. There will just be no train and no over crowding anymore. It'll be fine.

Last edited:

WDWYankee15

Any word on whether the Town Square meet and greets will open early too?
Highly unlikely as now you can get on to Main Street after the opening show (approximately 10 minutes prior to the actual park opening time) and the characters still don't come out until their posted set starting time (usually at park opening). We got in line for Pluto at the flag pole last visit and waited from 8:50am until just after 9am when he came out.

CaptainAmerica

Exactly. But ask anyone that does early breakfast at magic kingdom, there response is also they enjoy having main street t9 to themselves
You're vastly misunderstanding how this is going to play out. If you have a breakfast reservation at 8:05, it's still going to be super empty. People aren't going to start waking up at 6:00 AM to get to the Magic Kingdom for 7:45 just so they can piddle around Main Street for an hour.

WDWYankee15

Necessary for crowding reasons, but sad to see the old show go away. The opening family and characters coming in on the train is pretty special.

I hope Scoop Sanderson and Chief Smokey Miller aren't out of a job!
Scoop already last his job earlier this year.

DashboardCowMan

You're vastly misunderstanding how this is going to play out. If you have a breakfast reservation at 8:05, it's still going to be super empty. People aren't going to start waking up at 6:00 AM to get to the Magic Kingdom for 7:45 just so they can piddle around Main Street for an hour.
But everyone is saying it's so super crowded it's dangerous. Which means everyone will be pushing down Main Street at the same time. Well, at least until half stop at Starbucks. (which I never understood since you can get them everywhere, albeit not in a Disney cup)

CaptainAmerica

But everyone is saying it's so super crowded it's dangerous. Which means everyone will be pushing down Main Street at the same time. Well, at least until half stop at Starbucks. (which I never understood since you can get them everywhere, albeit not in a Disney cup)
It's super crowded and dangerous because people are crammed into the space in red. That number of people spread out into the green is going to make it much less crowded and dangerous. There's a relatively small number of people at rope drop, it's just that the current space is SO small.

kPbfD04.png

I don't like this.

There is something special about seeing the Welcome Show from the current location.
It's called nostalgia. There's nothing inherently superior about the current location and the experience being trapped between the ticket booth and the train station in that crowd is awful.

drizgirl

Super empty? Having experienced a similar arrangement at DL, I can safely say there's nothing remotely "suer empty" about it. It is still a crush of humanity.

DashboardCowMan

It's super crowded and dangerous because people are crammed into the space in red. That number of people spread out into the green is going to make it much less crowded and dangerous. There's a relatively small number of people at rope drop, it's just that the current space is SO small.

kPbfD04.png

It's called nostalgia. There's nothing inherently superior about the current location and the experience being trapped between the ticket booth and the train station in that crowd is awful.
But is it really more crowded than in front of the castle and down Main Street during any fireworks show? Or during the parades?

AndyS2992

I've been to the Welcome Show many times and I never thought it felt overcrowded or dangerous.

Maybe it's the time of the year we usually go?
I've done the Welcome show once back in August 2011, during the show itself things seemed okay but the second those ropes came down people began bolting through the tunnels whilst shoving people and children out of the way. It was a nightmare and have not done it again since.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Does anybody know when the main street vehicles will start running once this new show starts? I loved seeing the welcome show and then hopping a ride at opening down to the castle.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The whole thing is about DIFFUSING people. When you have to push everyone through the entrance area... and have an hours worth of people queued up.. all around a less secured area.. its a risk.

By letting people into the park early, you expand the area people have to be in, the things to do, and everyone is further away from the entrance area.

Really its much better in practice... the train element will be missed, but hopefully something else can be worked up for it.

MJ6987

There's something really special about the current one, IMO, and the coming in on the train is also really special. I've been happy with their new stage shows so hopefully this can live up to it. I'm glad I saw the original.
This. The current show is quite unique, especially the way that it incorporates an actual train - a nice link to Walt. A castle forecourt welcome show seems like it will be just like all the other, slightly lame, forecourt shows.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because there are only six lands in the MK: Main Street, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Liberty Square, Frontierland, and Adventureland.

Poor ol' Hub Land. Never gets remembered.

But wait! This new early opening will have everyone pouring into Hub Land! Hub Land will know it has a place in the world!!

We love you Hub Land!!!

Where can I buy my Hubby Plush?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom