New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

^ While your logic is sound, $$$ defies logic. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least small food and merch vendors pop up around the area eventually.

Next Big Thing

^ While your logic is sound, $$$ defies logic. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least small food and merch vendors pop up around the area eventually.
There will not be anyone selling anything - at least during "dump out times" (after parades and fireworks).

When it's empty during the other parts of the night and the person who belongs on main street or the hub and is going back to restock their cart or just going out because it's time for them to leave CAN sell backstage if someone comes up to them and inquires about something, but they certainly don't outwardly promote selling back there.

^ Understood, I just hope it stays that way. :)

As far as the bypass though. I'd rate:

Concept: 9/10 (it's necessary, but something like Tokyo's or Paris's would have been much preferred though)
Execution: 2/10 (looks like a normal walkway at a Cedar Fail park except that it's clean)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, I agree it defies Disney logic, but they basically did the same thing with the back exit from Fantasmic which a lot of people said wouldn't happen for the same reason.

The Visionary Soul

So to do much more than what they did (Paris arcade for instance) they would have to MAJORLY change operations and infrastructure.
Which is exactly what they should have done. Ask anyone who works in the area and they will be happy to tell you how bad the existing infrastructure is to begin with. Yes, a project of that size would majorly change operations and infrastructure, yes it would probably shut down an entire half of Main Street to do, and yes it probably would need asbestos removal from that area of the tunnels, but it would be a project that is necessary for the longterm longevity of the park, and one that can actually help Main Street permanently.

What was done was simply just a temporary solution for only one problem, versus what could have been done, a permanent solution for multiple problems.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, a project of that size would majorly change operations and infrastructure, yes it would probably shut down an entire half of Main Street to do, and yes it probably would need asbestos removal from that area of the tunnels,
Not really.

There's only one tunnel under this project and it runs across the exit walkway, not along it.

In Paris the store stock access, garbage removal and other backstage functions still happen. There's cast member only doors along both sides of the arcades, one side giving access to the back of house rooms of the stores, the other side access to the exterior backstage area. No magical access to the Utlidors would be required, no more than already exists. Access can be maintained as required during park hours.

Not that I'm arguing either way about this project or its merits. Just pointing out how it works at DLP.

The Visionary Soul

Not really.

There's only one tunnel under this project and it runs across the exit walkway, not along it.

In Paris the store stock access, garbage removal and other backstage functions still happen. There's cast member only doors along both sides of the arcades, one side giving access to the back of house rooms of the stores, the other side access to the exterior backstage area. No magical access to the Utlidors would be required, no more than already exists. Access can be maintained as required during park hours.

Not that I'm arguing either way about this project or its merits. Just pointing out how it works at DLP.
You're forgetting about Reedy Creek's rules regarding new building construction attached to current buildings, especially when the tunnels are so close. Plus, in Paris, they have elevators on each side that allow workers to go up and over the arcades. In Florida, I'd expect them to just extend the tunnels to connect... which is a difficult project to do because of the building locations.

Trust me, I've thought this through more than you think.

Remember, I'm absolutely for the arcades in Florida, I just know they have a very high cost.

Next Big Thing

Which is exactly what they should have done. Ask anyone who works in the area and they will be happy to tell you how bad the existing infrastructure is to begin with. Yes, a project of that size would majorly change operations and infrastructure, yes it would probably shut down an entire half of Main Street to do, and yes it probably would need asbestos removal from that area of the tunnels, but it would be a project that is necessary for the longterm longevity of the park, and one that can actually help Main Street permanently.

What was done was simply just a temporary solution for only one problem, versus what could have been done, a permanent solution for multiple problems.
I worked in the area up until a month ago. Yes it is bad (have you been in the supply closet near Tony's? That's my go-to place if want to acclimate myself to asbestos. The Casey's supply closet is terrible as well, but that's another story). Yes, some is getting very needed updates. The supply for the lower hub restroom near TLT just got a complete gut and the one on the backside of The Plaza is seemingly getting the same treatment.

But changing operation in such a drastic way, especially at disney's construction speeds, would result in everything going to s***. Now that they at least have the bypass looking decent and pretty much done, down the line, it could be very possible to enclose and expand the walkway (go out more into the parking lot beside it where the Pluto lot bust stop is and the compactor). Now they at least have something to build on eventually. Not trying to defend not putting in an Arcade right away, but there's still a lot of things that would need to be worked out.

Tbh, the best thing they could (very easily) do is extend the tunnels over to the other side of the street to solve a lot of those operational issues. where the current entrance to the tunnels is at MO-7 and MO-5, just keep going forward under the new road that they just paved (which would likely resuly in having to close the bypass few a bit as it would take some extensive underground work to make this a reality, but moving MO-7 and MO-5 to the other side of the street would be the biggest thing they could do to help operation issues if they ever were to build an arcade.

Next Big Thing

I saw a person one time complain that she wanted to exit through Sunset and not the back exit as she wanted to shop for merch.
A lot of people do that at the bypass too. They complain they are being "forced" to go down somewhere they don't want to go at times (when it's busy and people need to just keep moving. They don't need to go down the bypass if they don't want, but they need to move).

Last edited:

KordovaJD

Took a walk down the bypass on Friday night. Was very nice actually. Easy traffic flow and does a good job of disguising most of the back stage. There is some unfortunate plumbing that you couldn't possibly miss, but a couple of staggered hedges on wheels hides it pretty well.

Next Big Thing

Took a walk down the bypass on Friday night. Was very nice actually. Easy traffic flow and does a good job of disguising most of the back stage. There is some unfortunate plumbing that you couldn't possibly miss, but a couple of staggered hedges on wheels hides it pretty well.
Anything that has hedges on wheels still just hasn't gotten the treatment the rest of the bypass has yet (planters, lights, trees, green wall behind it all, gate for CM operations, etc). They're working on one of only 2 remaining areas that need that treatment, so it'll be close to done soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom