New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

MinnieWaffles

Well, if they are not going to build out the parks to meet the demand, then a half-***ed relief valve is the least we can ask.

Everything Disney taught me about themed entertainment has been dividended out to day traders. This is the modern Disney. Get used to it. Get over it. And stop whining. The Disney I knew is dead.

Wowwww, who peed in your cornflakes this morning? Don't be so grumpy!

I would rather actually get out of MK before midnight, lol. Why I like the new hub so much. There's actually room to MOVE during Wishes/MSEP!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Animal Kingdom is under heavy construction, building not only Pandora but their nighttime show.

They've already announced that Star Wars is a huge part of the impending revamp of DHS.

Illumimations at EPCOT is still super popular, and they've added additional Illuminations-focused restaurants and events to pull people to it rather than Wishes.
I think he meant EPCOT and DHS used to be open later every night.

EPCOT used to be open until 11pm, with Showcase opening at 9am. Crowds were more evenly spread. Hours were curtailed to save money.

Otterhead

I think he meant EPCOT and DHS used to be open later every night.

He was complaining about the other three parks not having anything to draw crowds away from MK during peak hours, specifically, during Wishes and the evening parade. This is very valid with DHS and DAK, but as DAK is actively massively expanding its hours and offerings, DHS is in the planning stages for a park-wide revamp, and evening activities during Wishes at Epcot have been expanded, whining that "Disney doesn't care" is pretty silly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
whining that "Disney doesn't care" is pretty silly.
Could whine that it took them long enough to do something....

I wouldn't call DAK massively expanding either. It's needed yes, but it's only a fraction of what's needed.

DHS is something that won't be completed until into the next decade.

Fact. Today you pay more and get less for DHS and EPCOT. Less hours. Less attractions.

COProgressFan

Funny, I'm not seeing dumpsters.

What would your preferred solution to overcrowding be? i.e., how should they "pull people out of the park"?

Primarily, you create reasons for your guests to visit the other 3 theme parks on property, rather than neglect them for years or decades. The MK is usually the only park open late and the only park with as many evening entertainment options. Even with within the MK, you can stagger entertainment at night, and provide other entertainment options in other areas of the park that don't involve everyone coming to MSUSA. Disneyland, with its tiny footprint, trees in the hub, and curbs on the sidewalks manages to do this nightly.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

I wouldn't call DAK massively expanding either. It's needed yes, but it's only a fraction of what's needed.

Fact. Today you pay more and get less for DHS and EPCOT. Less hours. Less attractions.
We've been getting "less" at Epcot for decades at this point.

spectromagic04

What's the earliest should we expect anything Pixar or Star Wars to open at DHS?

note2001

I'm really a bit envious of those folks who got to walk down the bypass before all this was done. In all our visits, typically over high traffic times, such as Christmas week and the week of the fourth, we've more often than not been shuffled out the bypass, across the parking lot and in through the side entrance to Tomorrowland.
IMG_0110.JPG

Next Big Thing

I'm really a bit envious of those folks who got to walk down the bypass before all this was done. In all our visits, typically over high traffic times, such as Christmas week and the week of the fourth, we've more often than not been shuffled out the bypass, across the parking lot and in through the side entrance to Tomorrowland. View attachment 93012
That bypass, which leads from the Buzz M&G to Town Square, will still be used and be perfectly unthemed as always. It's only ever used 3-4 times a year anyway.

JeffH

We've been getting "less" at Epcot for decades at this point.
Except for the addition of Soarin', the ever-changing Innovations, the new (most significant changes ever) Spaceship Earth and it's exit activities and Mission Space and it's exit activities and the Nemo overlay and ride at The Seas...
I wouldn't say "less"...maybe no more, since most of these new attractions replaced other attractions.
However with all the untapped capacity and room for NEW/ADDITIONAL attractions a LOT could be done at Epcot to shift some of the crowds from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot.
If they lowered the sponsorship requirement$$ so that some new countries could afford a pavilion in exchange for Disney enjoying a higher percentage of the profits could result in more pavilions. Other unused WS property could be permanently be built out like the African area and play areas and kiosks used in the festivals. Both would add new blood to the somewhat stale World Showcase. They could also host daily open door parties at the World Showplace as an attraction in itself.
Reopening the Wonders of Life with a more interesting theme (less centered on health and more about the many wonders of the world) and more interesting attractions (another simulator exactly like or somewhat like Soarin' replacing Body Wars' cerebral and gross journey through the body....hey just thought of how they could change Body Wars, instead of escaping from the brain, escape through the rectum riding on a fart? A new Cranium Command themed around the upcoming Pixar Inside Out could be rebuilt.
Bring back the original Imagination ride and play area (like they did with the Tiki Room)...they could add Nigel Channing into that if felt the need and create a new Star Wars film (jedi training corps.) for the 4D theater.
...just for a start...

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Except for the addition of Soarin', the ever-changing Innovations, the new (most significant changes ever) Spaceship Earth and it's exit activities and Mission Space and it's exit activities and the Nemo overlay and ride at The Seas...
I wouldn't say "less"...maybe no more, since most of these new attractions replaced other attractions.
However with all the untapped capacity and room for NEW/ADDITIONAL attractions a LOT could be done at Epcot to shift some of the crowds from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot.
If they lowered the sponsorship requirement$$ so that some new countries could afford a pavilion in exchange for Disney enjoying a higher percentage of the profits could result in more pavilions. Other unused WS property could be permanently be built out like the African area and play areas and kiosks used in the festivals. Both would add new blood to the somewhat stale World Showcase. They could also host daily open door parties at the World Showplace as an attraction in itself.
Reopening the Wonders of Life with a more interesting theme (less centered on health and more about the many wonders of the world) and more interesting attractions (another simulator exactly like or somewhat like Soarin' replacing Body Wars' cerebral and gross journey through the body....hey just thought of how they could change Body Wars, instead of escaping from the brain, escape through the rectum riding on a fart? A new Cranium Command themed around the upcoming Pixar Inside Out could be rebuilt.
Bring back the original Imagination ride and play area (like they did with the Tiki Room)...they could add Nigel Channing into that if felt the need and create a new Star Wars film (jedi training corps.) for the 4D theater.
...just for a start...
Believe me, you do not want to get me started on what "could be" at Epcot. (right @Bob )

Every change you mentioned IMO were subtractions instead of additions. Going back to 1995, you have WoM going away for Test Track, Horizons going away for Mission Space (both missteps IMO), Imagination and The Seas replaced by far worse attractions, WoL and now Innoventions closing. Soarin' is viewed highly by most, but not me, but I have a well documented psychosis love of cabaret singing food products.
The only real major "addition" if you call it that would be Food and Wine fest in '95, and again, I don't feel that the addition of new places to spend money on food and drink are fixing what ails Epcot.

Sage of Time

It's funny how Disney has built pressure relief valves for Main Street USA four times over the course of the history of the resort.

1. EPCOT Center
2. Disney-MGM Hollywood Studios
3. Animal Kingdom
and now...
4. Backstage Bypass Alley - complete with Smell-o-Vision dumpster action.
When did they do 1-3? And what did they do? What changed on Main Street?

bhg469

So do these bypasses still spit you out in front of the train station? I feel like the last time we did the bypass it only made everyone pile up while the parade was going on.

Rob562

So do these bypasses still spit you out in front of the train station? I feel like the last time we did the bypass it only made everyone pile up while the parade was going on.

The bypass will bring people to Town Square, to the gate between the Chapeau and Tony's. You'd still have to turn left, cross in front of Tony's and the Expo Hall and then exit under the train station.

Presumably they try to keep traffic moving on the sidewalk in front of the Expo Hall.

-Rob

RadiatorSpringsRacer

You are correct... current Disney doesn't care if guests are at MK or one of their other parks. That is exactly why MK has received what you've listed.

That is the problem with the resort.

Walt Disney World used to be a world filled with possibilities.

Walt Disney World of today might as well be relabeled Magic Kingdom and Friends.

The place that use to care about the quality of Show they offered is now dictated by seeing how many spins on the MK turnstile they can get.

This model is what is allowing quality to slip further and further.

This is also why the colorful main gates to property now have that pastel-colored Cinderella Castle on them. Random nitpick, I know, but still not something that I'm a fan of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom