New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Wikkler

Also, they didn't do themselves any favors by largely ignoring Epcot, DHS, and DAK in their advertising for years.
The only clip of those three parks I regularly see in advertising is Expedition Everest. Most commercials for Disney World just advertise a hybrid park between Disneyland and Walt Disney World with both castles, Expedition Everest, walkaround characters who follow you on rides, and who could forget the resort hotels. #ShowYourDisneySide

Wikkler

This is my biggest complaint with the Eisner era, they saved Disney and gave us several new parks but all of the parks feel like they were done of the cheap.
Two exceptions.
latest

latest

wdizneew

Two exceptions.
latest

latest

From my understanding/research, Disneyland Paris is the reason Disney-MGM Europe and Westcot never saw the light of day. So much money was spent on DLRP, but the poor reception from Europeans lead to financial issues. The reason Hong Kong Disneyland started out small is because Disney learned from the DLRP experience and was cautious about how the Chinese market would react. Once Disney had a good foothold, that's when money was spent to expand the park (Mystic Manor, Toy Story, Grizzly Gulch). Again, this is what I have gathered from reading/researching online.

Tokyo DisneySea was financed mostly by the Oriental Land Company which has a better understanding of their Japanese guests and are willing to spend more money to cater to them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From my understanding/research, Disneyland Paris is the reason Disney-MGM Europe and Westcot never saw the light of day. So much money was spent on DLRP, but the poor reception from Europeans lead to financial issues.
DLP opened in the middle of a huge recession with six huge expensive resorts that they couldn't fill. Certain elements were culturally misjudged that had knock on effects and so on.

The park was a success from day one. Several expansion projects were rushed through to add much needed capacity. The fact the resort as a whole cost close to five billion to get to Opening meant it built a huge mountain of debt.

Monorail_Red_77

The only clip of those three parks I regularly see in advertising is Expedition Everest. Most commercials for Disney World just advertise a hybrid park between Disneyland and Walt Disney World with both castles, Expedition Everest, walkaround characters who follow you on rides, and who could forget the resort hotels. #ShowYourDisneySide

Am I the only one that hates to see a commercial for Walt Disney World and you see a clip of Disneyland in it. Or how about when they show an area that you know they definitely added some animation and other artwork to. I get it looks cool to animate the gargoyles in NFL. But, at least make it look like you are really there. After visiting and then seeing the commercials, you know it is too much false imagery. I can't point to specifics but right now though.

MagicHappens1971

Funny that no one complains about the backstage exit from Fantasmic that takes you down Perimeter Rd. where you can see construction trailers and metal buildings parked behind the BaaB show and a parking lot. They've been using that for years. In fact, back when the Fantasmic Package offered "Golf Cart Service" to the theater (it no longer does) that was the route they used. They'd pick you up on Highland, and cut across the back.

View attachment 91630
I was thinking this and didn't want to say anything

halltd

There's more trees backstage then there are in the new hub! ;_;
Hey...I already used that line earlier in the thread. :)

If I was allowed to curse on here, I would. Holy....a whole bunch of illegal words...those pictures are amazing! This is really coming along nicely!! If they put in low flowers like in the hub and are able to shield the really bright lights from the utility areas on the back of the buildings, this is going to look great! I always thought this project was awful, but it's turning out not too bad...and WAY better than Disneyland's version. Granted it's not Paris, but this is a good compromise.

Next Big Thing

Pretty sure a Cast Member had to have taken these because clearly it's not open for guests...
Or a guest could've just "mistakenly" walked through the area during the day. Happens all the time. And since the bypass gets you from the MK Hub to Town Square very quickly, it wouldn't be hard to accomplish if you walk like you belong there and know where you're going.

For people not in costume backstage, the majority of the time, you won't get questioned on ID unless you look like you're lost. If you look like you belong and know where you're going, you won't be bothered.

Timothy_Q

1) Our Haunted Mansion
2) Our Castle
3) Our Swiss Family Treehouse
4) Our Main St. Train Station
5) Our Peoplemover (tee hee)
6) Our Astro Orbiter
7) Our Little Mermaid (only due to the queue being vastly superior and it being in Fantasyland where it belongs)
8) Our ToT
9) Our Splash Mountain
Plenty of times to say it. It's just that there are just as many times to say it the opposite direction as well. <grin>

Also:
10) Pooh
11) Small World (ride, not facade obviously)
12) Country Bears
13) CoP
14) Tough to be a bug (perfect fit in DAK, amazing setting/build up. vs no fit at all in DCA and plain show building)
15) Muppets (see above)

Jon81uk

DLP opened in the middle of a huge recession with six huge expensive resorts that they couldn't fill. Certain elements were culturally misjudged that had knock on effects and so on.

The park was a success from day one. Several expansion projects were rushed through to add much needed capacity. The fact the resort as a whole cost close to five billion to get to Opening meant it built a huge mountain of debt.

Indeed, Eisner assumed everyone would want to stay in one of Disney's themed hotels and overbuilt. A lot of people stay in Paris as it is only an hour by train to the park. If they had done as Walt did in Florida and built just two hotels to start with, then added more later then DLP probably wouldn't have the debt issues.

Macca250

Not bad... But am I the only one who thinks this is a missed opportunity? Could have expanded Main Street quite nicely with a little courtyard or something back there. Do we know if this is essentially the final product? Or will more effort be used to camouflage the show buildings? Thanks for the pictures!

Next Big Thing

Not bad... But am I the only one who thinks this is a missed opportunity? Could have expanded Main Street quite nicely with a little courtyard or something back there. Do we know if this is essentially the final product? Or will more effort be used to camouflage the show buildings? Thanks for the pictures!
There's still a good deal of pavement work to be done, a few more planters that are being constructed and they need to finish painting the side of the back of the The Plaza (they have a painted brick pattern going on throughout most of the bypass). They went with a green palette for the light poles and walls behind trees so everything blends in.

The first picture is close to what the final product will be for that end of the street, the second picture is still a work in progress and is where the most work is going on. You have to understand that the main purpose is to maximize the amount of people that can safely exit the park, it's not meant for people to oogle at how pretty it is. They have done a nice enough job of theming an area that's mainly a backstage area and only open to guests 3 hours a night.

I should also mention that while the bypass is open, all backstage operations still need to continue as normal, so the balloon guy on Main Street? The girl selling cheesy toys in the hub before the parade? Starbucks, Ice Cream Parlor or Merch CMs? Custodial? ALL of them go back and forth through there while guests are going through. Entertainment cast go through in plain clothes as well. So to do much more than what they did (Paris arcade for instance) they would have to MAJORLY change operations and infrastructure.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom