New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

devoy1701

The idea of an alternate, parallel street predates the opening of Disneyland.

I doubt that would happen. The original idea was a residential street with a Haunted House. Then there was Liberty Street and Edison Square that evolved into Liberty Square and the Carousel of Progress. International Street evolved into World Showcase.
Not for this exact purpose, but for the purpose of more attractions.

Atomicmickey

I mean obviously there is going to have to be a give somewhere because of the traffic problem that the park experiences, and the idea of a second exit seems like a pretty good idea, but why take people backstage? i feel like it would be an even better idea, and don't have me for this because I'm just saying, to make a second exit/entance through maybe tomorrowland or adventureland? okay i know i am going to get so much criticism for that but i'm just throwing ideas out

YOU WILL NOT BE BACKSTAGE.

They are building it to be ONSTAGE. It will not be backstage anymore.

By that logic, Tower of Terror is backstage, because it wasn't there when the park opened.

If you built a second exit through tomorrowland, for instance, you'd get dumped out onto
a service road. Backstage! It would need to be themed, and built out for guest access.

YOU WILL NOT BE BACKSTAGE.

They are building it to be ONSTAGE. It will not be backstage anymore.

By that logic, Tower of Terror is backstage, because it wasn't there when the park opened.

If you built a second exit through tomorrowland, for instance, you'd get dumped out onto
a service road. Backstage! It would need to be themed, and built out for guest access.
you've got a point

maxime29

Premium Member
The new bypass won't work unless it can actually go around the building that houses Tony's / Town Square. High crowds + wheel chairs / scooters makes no where to walk around.

orky8

Okay I wasn't really sure how to feel about it until seeing this picture. This picture ruined it for me. Why do they think this is okay? I mean obviously it would be newly imagined and decorated to not look like a backstage area but it's still the fact that no one should be allowed back there, ever unless they are a cast member. I hate it.

What are you talking about that "no one should be allowed back there ever." If it is no longer a backstage area, but a themed area, then they should. What if I told you Disney planned to build a second path through fantasyland as shown as the redline in this picture? No one should be allowed back there, right? Unless, they turn that area from backstate to front stage. Now, lets just see what they do here.

FLE path.JPG

IWantMyMagicBand

Seems like it is nothing to do with crowd control. Main Street is just wall to wall people. My opinion is the bypass is the best way to deal with this. It works wonderfully well in Paris.
Yes, the Paris one (10 sleeps to go!) has a great bypass, we literally fly down it, and they have back-opened the shops, as well as some window service food counters. Works great. I forgot that WDW didn't have this when we went last year and was a bit confused when I went to the right of the hat shop....

muteki

This could be really cool, if they put enough effort into it.

1) Proof the FLE continues to draw crowds
MK exit after wishes was an uncontrollable mess of people before FLE and would still be so even if it wasn't built. Things like this have to be done to sustain the increasing attendance at MK.

Now once you have this massive amount of people out of the park quicker, what are you going to do about transportation?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As long as it's themed right, this will be great. There are only two places in all of WDW that have the foot traffic problems that are evident all over Disneyland (but not DCA) -- Main Street during parades and park closings, and the footpath to FotLK. Both are being corrected. This is good. Not E-ticket good. Not even replacement for illuminations good. But good...again, as long as it's themed well. But I can't imagine they'd bother to build it without decent theming.

The arcades at DLP are wonderful. There is theming, good access to the shops and restaurants and bathrooms, accessibility from the sides of the hub, and even some exhibits. You can go quickly and under cover. If that's what the do, it'll be great. I suspect they'll do less than what's in Paris, but even so, I expect it'll be a major improvement to traffic flow and will give us geeks something new to look at.

ExtinctJenn

Forgive me for not reading what's become 5 pages of content already (WOW) but I am not a fan of this idea. The idea of entering and walking down Main Street was part of the show... part of the story. Those of you that read my posts know it's tough for me to find negativity in anything TDO is doing. Typically I support them when very few do (and get crap here for doing so LOL). I am a fan of change, and even a fan of it at the Disney Parks (though it may not make me happy). I believe Walt wanted it that way. He wanted the parks to always be changing and dynamic but he meant it in the way of bringing new wonderful experiences to guests and keeping attractions current. I get that. I don't think this is the kind of change he envisioned.

I am not however a fan of turning the parks into your typical amusement park. The reason I love WDW is because it's more than that. It deserves to be more than that. I mean... Main Street was envisioned as an homage to Walt's home town. This all just feels very wrong. It feels like it's accomodating those people whose only desire is to ride the rides and not experience the park for what it is. To each their own though. If you're main concern is to get in and out as quickly as possible then I see how this is awesome from that point of view... and I mean that with no offense intended. For me and my family though, that first walk down Main Street (though I've done it 25+ times) is what starts my day at the Magic Kingdom. Bypass or not, I'll continue to do so.

EDIT: Wow this one got under my skin didn't it? Sorry! :D

Last edited:

jt04

This could be really cool, if they put enough effort into it.

MK exit after wishes was an uncontrollable mess of people before FLE and would still be so even if it wasn't built. Things like this have to be done to sustain the increasing attendance at MK.

Now once you have this massive amount of people out of the park quicker, what are you going to do about transportation?

I think this is why they rebuilt the bus area again. I fully expect that soon the monorails will be for resort guests only. I think it is a good plan if done right.

I intended to stay gone until next year but this new construction is BIG news IMO. It has to be done before any new MK expansion would be possible. Similar to how parking garages are necessary before DTD could expand. :)

ExtinctJenn

Just something to keep in mind. I don't think anyone can question that Disney has done some great visuals recently - New FL, Tangled restrooms. No reason they can't carry that through to this project.
Should the bypass be themed equally as well then fantastic. I still won't use it though... at least not for entry. I'd rather be in a sea of human people and be walking Down Main Street toward the castle personally. :D

wdw71fan

What people fail to realize is that this bypass has been in use for nearly 2 decades already, this is a POSTIVITE thing because the company is acknowledging that guests should not be in a backstage area, regardless of the purpose..

A few facts:

1. The bypass will not be open at all times (just like now) it will only be open when needed (heavy days such at 4th of july, Christmas, and higher capacity days)

2. if you approach the main street area from tomorrow land, you likely won't have a choice where to exit.. You will be forced to go down this path if you are leaving the park.... This is how it's been done for nearly 20 years, so any grandiose plans of "I;m still going to go down main!!!" are not going to happen unless to circle the entire park as come up main from the Crystal palace side..

Again, it's not going to be open everyday, just when needed.... This is simply a theming of an area that guests have been pushed through for a long time anyhow... All positive.... And Traffic flow like Disneyland would simply not work... Disneyland doesn't have the amount of guests in a day that MK does..

ExtinctJenn

2. if you approach the main street area from tomorrow land, you likely won't have a choice where to exit.. You will be forced to go down this path if you are leaving the park.... This is how it's been done for nearly 20 years, so any grandiose plans of "I;m still going to go down main!!!" are not going to happen unless to circle the entire park as come up main from the Crystal palace side..
I've been going to the Magic Kingdom since 1983 and never once, even on the busiest days (including days where the gates were closed because it was at capacity), have I been forced down a path other than Main Street regardless of what land I was exiting from. In fact we almost always are exiting from Tomorrowland as we have a sort of tradition to ride the TTA right before the park closes.

JimboJones123

What people fail to realize is that this bypass has been in use for nearly 2 decades already, this is a POSTIVITE thing because the company is acknowledging that guests should not be in a backstage area, regardless of the purpose..

A few facts:

1. The bypass will not be open at all times (just like now) it will only be open when needed (heavy days such at 4th of july, Christmas, and higher capacity days)

Again, it's not going to be open everyday, just when needed.... This is simply a theming of an area that guests have been pushed through for a long time anyhow... All positive.... And Traffic flow like Disneyland would simply not work... Disneyland doesn't have the amount of guests in a day that MK does..
This is incorrect. There is more traffic on Fri/Sat nights because the average guest count on weekdays is lower. So although DL may not get the same number of annual guests, trust me, Friday and Saturday nighta are much busier at DL.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been going to the Magic Kingdom since 1983 and never once, even on the busiest days (including days where the gates were closed because it was at capacity), have I been forced down a path other than Main Street regardless of what land I was exiting from. In fact we almost always are exiting from Tomorrowland as we have a sort of tradition to ride the TTA right before the park closes.
They currently don't force you to exit via the bypass, but it is available, and typically the gridlock is so bad you have no choice. You could continue to fight your way to MSUSA if you wish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom