New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

aladdin2007

Definitely take a look at Disneyland Paris's Arcades http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=disneyland+paris+arcade&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=disneyland+paris+arcade&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

If
it turns out like this then I thin it will enhance what you are talking about not detract.

Now if they just make the current back stage area a little prettier then you have a point.

I dont think its going to be anything as grand as DLP but if its based on that with a taste of it then that would be nice. I still dont see how they have the space back there but I guess if some managers lose some parking spaces then......

Bocabear

Unfortunately I think the rash of negative comments about everything are coming from the last decade of slipping maintenance and show quality. The removal of attractions that are never replaced,higher ticket premiums and lackluster new offerings. Constructive criticism is essential, and it is only through that criticism that things can improve... If a Main Street bypass is themed and constructed properly with decent show standards, there is nothing to complain about...but if it is done cheaply with no eye towards show quality, then you bet we should complain... but let's see what they actually mean to do before jumping the shark... The Paris arcades are phenomenal.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Finally! A fifth gate! Hahaha. Anyway, I just finished Marty Sklar's book. Things like this would never have been done in his time because it disrupts the idea of "show". You do not get to see the opening credits if you bypass Main Street. It is a lot like starting a movie 10 minutes in. Where is the attention to detail, attention to quality, and a focus on Show? Marty's book "Dream it, Do it!" really opened my eyes to the fact that what was Walt's priority is no longer a priority in the current version of his company.

If the gate setup is only for exiting at night...this has nothing to do with bypassing the "opening credits" and the alternate route currently starts/ends past the entrance of main st. anyway.

Chezman1399

The Magic Kingdom does do 1 ways on the sidewalks and will even use the stores, or they did when I worked there, it still doesn't stop 1 family from stopping and causing a traffic jam. You still have major traffic issues after fireworks too due to how many people are trying to get out at once regardless of what is or isn't set up just because of the amount of people.

Maybe they'll put a stroller/Wheel Chair turn in area on the alternate path too. From what I've seen that tends to be a source of a lot of the Mainstreet traffic issues people who have to cross to be on the left (Exiting the park) side of the road to turn in their stuff.

After fireworks everyone is also asked to stay on their right hand side with cast normally setup roughly 1/3 of the way across Main street to separate the folks going in vs. going out. More room for those going out.

NowInc

Unfortunately I think the rash of negative comments about everything are coming from the last decade of slipping maintenance and show quality. The removal of attractions that are never replaced,higher ticket premiums and lackluster new offerings. Constructive criticism is essential, and it is only through that criticism that things can improve... If a Main Street bypass is themed and constructed properly with decent show standards, there is nothing to complain about...but if it is done cheaply with no eye towards show quality, then you bet we should complain... but let's see what they actually mean to do before jumping the shark... The Paris arcades are phenomenal.

Oh I have zero problems with constructive criticism at all! The problem is that most of it isn't constructive. at all. Its flat out trolling.

jt04

1) Proof the FLE continues to draw crowds
2) Sounds like they are doing this right
3) Most important is this will also allow a controlling of sightlines into the backstage of TL. Hmmmm.

PS Glad to see they are completing my WDWMAGIC punch list.

Carry on.

This is the path my parents described when they took the back stage exit. It stated next to the Plaza restaurant which has always had a kind of a awkward look anyway. I'm wondering if this new path will connect up mid way at the ally in the middle of Main St. because aren't those buildings on the dead end ally just empty facades?

msusa_walkway2.jpg
Okay I wasn't really sure how to feel about it until seeing this picture. This picture ruined it for me. Why do they think this is okay? I mean obviously it would be newly imagined and decorated to not look like a backstage area but it's still the fact that no one should be allowed back there, ever unless they are a cast member. I hate it.

NowInc

During the last 24 hour event, the gridlock was mostly caused by strollers (not to generalize). CMs were trying to direct people to sides of the street to help traffic flow, but too many double wides would make that difficult. The reality of it is, the best way to assist with this IS to make another path to exit.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The posting states this is to address both entry and exit, so it it assumed to be open at all hours or just rope drop and closing?
I think that decision will be down to operations, and may very well change as time goes on. I think we will have to wait and see.

NowInc

Okay I wasn't really sure how to feel about it until seeing this picture. This picture ruined it for me. Why do they think this is okay? I mean obviously it would be newly imagined and decorated to not look like a backstage area but it's still the fact that no one should be allowed back there, ever unless they are a cast member. I hate it.

They have already been using this area...just unthemed..as a "2nd" exit when needed. For a while now. They are finally going to at least make it NOT look like a backstage area.

Atomicmickey

Huh? By that reasoning, no one should ever be allowed anywhere that used to not
be show-ready? That plot of land they're going to build Avatar on? Used to be backstage!

If they build it correctly, it's an expansion, not a backstage area.

Right NOW, it's bad show. They are planning to correct that.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Finally! A fifth gate! Hahaha. Anyway, I just finished Marty Sklar's book. Things like this would never have been done in his time because it disrupts the idea of "show". You do not get to see the opening credits if you bypass Main Street. It is a lot like starting a movie 10 minutes in. Where is the attention to detail, attention to quality, and a focus on Show? Marty's book "Dream it, Do it!" really opened my eyes to the fact that what was Walt's priority is no longer a priority in the current version of his company.
I have had the pleasure of listening to Marty speak on a number of occasions, and he always talks about something when it comes to park design - "Meet the needs of the people." At the moment, Main Street U.S.A entry and exit does not meet the needs of the people. It needs to be changed, and if done right, could be a very welcome addition.

lazyboy97o

42 years of operation.

give them another 40 years and the Seven Seas Lagoon will be completely filled in because it was deemed too time consuming and impractical to have to shuttle everyone to the parking lots via monorail/ferry.
The idea of an alternate, parallel street predates the opening of Disneyland.

Wikipedia stated Walt originally wanted to streets parallel to main street with their own theming. I hope they theme it to what walt originally wanted.
I doubt that would happen. The original idea was a residential street with a Haunted House. Then there was Liberty Street and Edison Square that evolved into Liberty Square and the Carousel of Progress. International Street evolved into World Showcase.

They have already been using this area...just unthemed..as a "2nd" exit when needed. For a while now. They are finally going to at least make it NOT look like a backstage area.
I mean obviously there is going to have to be a give somewhere because of the traffic problem that the park experiences, and the idea of a second exit seems like a pretty good idea, but why take people backstage? i feel like it would be an even better idea, and don't have me for this because I'm just saying, to make a second exit/entance through maybe tomorrowland or adventureland? okay i know i am going to get so much criticism for that but i'm just throwing ideas out

devoy1701

The Magic Kingdom does do 1 ways on the sidewalks and will even use the stores, or they did when I worked there, it still doesn't stop 1 family from stopping and causing a traffic jam. You still have major traffic issues after fireworks too due to how many people are trying to get out at once regardless of what is or isn't set up just because of the amount of people.

Maybe they'll put a stroller/Wheel Chair turn in area on the alternate path too. From what I've seen that tends to be a source of a lot of the Mainstreet traffic issues people who have to cross to be on the left (Exiting the park) side of the road to turn in their stuff.

After fireworks everyone is also asked to stay on their right hand side with cast normally setup roughly 1/3 of the way across Main street to separate the folks going in vs. going out. More room for those going out.
No they don't. Foot traffic goes down the street. Sidewalks are standing room for people waiting for the fireworks until a few minutes before the show where they finally let you stand on the road and all traffic control stops. It's chaos. DL will actually move their benches to the street side to make a physical barrier between the foot traffic on the sidewalks and the ppl waiting around on the street.

NowInc

I mean obviously there is going to have to be a give somewhere because of the traffic problem that the park experiences, and the idea of a second exit seems like a pretty good idea, but why take people backstage? i feel like it would be an even better idea, and don't have me for this because I'm just saying, to make a second exit/entance through maybe tomorrowland or adventureland? okay i know i am going to get so much criticism for that but i'm just throwing ideas out

But with the new design..it won't be "backstage" anymore.

Huh? By that reasoning, no one should ever be allowed anywhere that used to not
be show-ready? That plot of land they're going to build Avatar on? Used to be backstage!

If they build it correctly, it's an expansion, not a backstage area.

Right NOW, it's bad show. They are planning to correct that.
understood

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom