New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Marc Gil

I am so happy to hear about this. I don't know how many times I have gotten stuck trying to go the opposite way of traffic for 10-15 mins.
When I was doing a scavenger hunt at MK at night, we attempted to visit Main Street first. My goodness, the worst decision of my life. We entered the park during MSEP and it took us 15 minutes to just enter MS!

After MSEP, everyone was leaving the park, so we dashed to City Hall (our sanctuary) to resume our hunt, and to avoid the terror of the crowds. After 20 minutes, we were able to walk on Main Street again, then BOOM, Celebrate the Magic began, and it became a madhouse. We couldn't move again! After 20 minutes the chaos resumed as more people tried to exit the park, while we were attempting to travel deeper.

It was CRAZY! I support Disney's decision to add this passageway 100% after the experiences I've had.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
From the plans I spied, DLP style arcade (singular-on the east side)....and for those DL fans arguing that crowd control CM's are the answer, I believe that you'll be getting a similar treatment in your neck of the woods.

And it's about time....should have been done 20 years ago when they realized how successful the Paris arcades were.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know how crowded it gets, and I've never even been during peak times, but the only thing that has stopped Main Street being closed off for FP holders and VIPs to have an exclusive front-and-centre view of the fireworks is the fact that it can't be closed off due to access issues. Once guests have an alternative exit the velvet rope can go up.

Yep - all about the benjamins

Marc Gil

42 years of operation.

give them another 40 years and the Seven Seas Lagoon will be completely filled in because it was deemed too time consuming and impractical to have to shuttle everyone to the parking lots via monorail/ferry.
42 years ago, the crowds weren't half as bad as they are now. It was a much quieter and peaceful time. Times are changing, MK is a lot crazier that it was 42 years ago. I don't see the negative in this "expansion". It really benefits the crowd issue, and it'll add a much needed addition to the park.

montyz81

Finally! A fifth gate! Hahaha. Anyway, I just finished Marty Sklar's book. Things like this would never have been done in his time because it disrupts the idea of "show". You do not get to see the opening credits if you bypass Main Street. It is a lot like starting a movie 10 minutes in. Where is the attention to detail, attention to quality, and a focus on Show? Marty's book "Dream it, Do it!" really opened my eyes to the fact that what was Walt's priority is no longer a priority in the current version of his company.

Last edited:

NowInc

This x1000000!!
I honestly don't get it... Well, I guess people won't be happy about everything. That's what I like about this site. We're a diverse bunch of people.

No. Its just some people like to troll. In their minds they feel the "complaints" will get noticed by disney and miraculously things will change. However, does anyone REALLY think that stupid comments are read and then are taken seriously? of course not. Its just flat out forum trolling.

There is a difference between expressing disappointment or pointing out valid negatives...but lately this forum has become nothing but hate mongering against everything...and its why lots of members leave. Its filled to the brim with childish, uneducated comments that sometimes are passed off as "facts" and creates a conflict and unnecessary arguments on every..single..thread. You defend anything, and you are accused of "snorting pixie dust".

TheDisneyMagic

Finally! A fifth gate! Hahaha. Anyway, I just finished Marty Sklar's book. Things like this would never have been done in his time because it disrupts the idea of "show". You do not get to see the opening credits if you bypass Main Street. It is a lot like starting a movie 10 minutes in. Where is the attention to detail, attention to quality, and a focus on Show? Marty's book "Dream it, Do it!" really opened my eyes to the fact that what was Walt's priority is no longer a priority in the current version of his company.
Definitely take a look at Disneyland Paris's Arcades http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=disneyland+paris+arcade&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=disneyland+paris+arcade&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

If
it turns out like this then I thin it will enhance what you are talking about not detract.

Now if they just make the current back stage area a little prettier then you have a point.

Atomicmickey

Well, it's not an attraction, but it's a win. How about that. Let's see if
they do it right, fully themed and all.

Makes me wonder about the lack of attractions, and instead we get MagicBands,
Curb refurbs, bathrooms, and now this. Do you think the
conversation goes something like:

"Until we address the overall guest experience, we'd better not add any new
attractions, because all that's going to do is increase attendance and make the
overall experience worse for the average guest."

I know I have had more than a few 'non-fan' friends take their families down to
Disney and when they come back they say things like "I know you love it down there,
but the lines, and the people, and we didnt get on this, and we couldn't do that, etc. . . "

So, I guess that's what this is all about, in an overarching sense. Once this infrastructure
is in place, then they can add stuff--because they'll be confident that they can handle
the additional traffic that it would generate.

So, that's my morning revelation about all of that. And why we're not getting new
attractions right now.

Make any sense?

doctornick

annd once again...disney is doing something to make things easier for GUESTS (and not just using planters)..and yet somehow..people complain.

Right. As long as this is themed and "onstage" (sounds like it will be) then the biggest negative is that it would not be funneling guests past the shops to make purchases on the way out. Which ironically, is completely opposite the "every decision Disney makes is to seperate you from your money" idea that is often bandied about here. I'm glad they are apparently putting guest comfort and crowd control above selling trinkets...

That said, I do wonder if this will provide backdoor access to the shops from the overflow path for people leaving to still be able to shop.

Last edited:

Marc Gil

This x1000000
No. Its just some people like to troll. In their minds they feel the "complaints" will get noticed by disney and miraculously things will change. However, does anyone REALLY think that stupid comments are read and then are taken seriously? of course not. Its just flat out forum trolling.

There is a difference between expressing disappointment or pointing out valid negatives...but lately this forum has become nothing but hate mongering against everything...and its why lots of members leave. Its filled to the brim with childish, uneducated comments that sometimes are passed off as "facts" and creates a conflict and unnecessary arguments on every..single..thread. You defend anything, and you are accused of "snorting pixie dust".
or that LOL! I honestly was just sugar-coating my real thoughts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom