New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

wogwog

A friend who works MK tells me he was back in the bypass area yesterday and saw a bit of construction. More utility work. Trenching for underground work has been on and off for months. Another area is fenced off behind Chapeau and has several rebar towers about 15 inch square by 10 feet high. He could not figure out what they were building yet. The construction area is a bit north and east of the gate north of Tony's Restaurant. They are also ripping out the paper fast pass machines that were for the Mickey meet and great between Chapeau and the gate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A friend who works MK tells me he was back in the bypass area yesterday and saw a bit of construction. More utility work. Trenching for underground work has been on and off for months. Another area is fenced off behind Chapeau and has several rebar towers about 15 inch square by 10 feet high. He could not figure out what they were building yet. The construction area is a bit north and east of the gate north of Tony's Restaurant. They are also ripping out the paper fast pass machines that were for the Mickey meet and great between Chapeau and the gate.

I wonder if those towers could be related to this:

"Some interesting permits today. These four Buena Vista Cosntruction permits all say "Investigate Location of Holiday Arch". I wonder if this is going to be something to replace the garlands over Main Street which they won't be able to use due to the height of the FOF floats.

Investigate Location Of Holiday Arch, 1365 Monorail Way (MO7 - MK Admin) - BVCC
Investigate Location Of Holiday Arch, 1375 Monorail Way (Emporium) - BVCC
Investigate Location Of Holiday Arch, 4710 Caribbean Way (Casery's Corner) - BVCC
Investigate Locaiton of Holiday Arch, 4720 Caribbean Way (Emporium) - BVCC"

Tom

Beta Return
What is a bypass and for what purpose they are building it?

To allow guests to exit the park behind the east set of Main Street shops on extremely busy nights. They've always allowed this, but now they're making it look a little more magical back there, so you're not just walking through a sea of dumpsters and helium tanks and cars.

They're also adding a second "ring" of sidewalks around the hub - sort of like when very large cities will have two interstate bypass loops around the city, instead of just one. It will vastly improve the flow of traffic in and around the hub.

Jose

To allow guests to exit the park behind the east set of Main Street shops on extremely busy nights. They've always allowed this, but now they're making it look a little more magical back there, so you're not just walking through a sea of dumpsters and helium tanks and cars.

They're also adding a second "ring" of sidewalks around the hub - sort of like when very large cities will have two interstate bypass loops around the city, instead of just one. It will vastly improve the flow of traffic in and around the hub.
This bypass will be like the arcade at Disneyland Paris?

Tom

Beta Return

I have no idea. I don't know anything about the overseas parks at all. I remember someone saying the word "arcade", but at the time I assumed they were talking about a room full of video games, which I knew was not the case.

Over time, I've come to realize that "arcade" must mean something else in Europe. I'm still not sure what, but it obviously doesn't mean a room full of video games :hilarious:

Jose

I have no idea. I don't know anything about the overseas parks at all. I remember someone saying the word "arcade", but at the time I assumed they were talking about a room full of video games, which I knew was not the case.

Over time, I've come to realize that "arcade" must mean something else in Europe. I'm still not sure what, but it obviously doesn't mean a room full of video games :hilarious:

Attachments

• liberty-et-discovery-arcades_1438010-L.jpg
    liberty-et-discovery-arcades_1438010-L.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 177

Tom

Beta Return

If that's an arcade, then no. These will all be outdoor paths. More red concrete, grass, and landscaping.

hpyhnt 1000

As others have stated, it will be entirely outdoor with some walls, landscaping and a bit of theming. Nothing at all along the lines of the Paris arcades.

I'm expecting it will look something like an upgraded version of the temporary entrance that was installed in Anaheim when the entrance for Disney California Adventure was being rebuilt.

P01-0004.JPG

P02-0002.JPG

mm121

Interesting way to bump this thread. Was wondering what happened to with this project. With all of the talk with the The Hub refurb, discussion of this disappeared. This is still happening, right?

an update would be great, though I wonder if maybe they are delaying this, in order to use the new gate they installed for access during the hub reconstruction.

as it would seem the most logical to use the parking lot behind mainstreet/tommorrowland for some of the staging for the hub construction

danlb_2000

Premium Member
an update would be great, though I wonder if maybe they are delaying this, in order to use the new gate they installed for access during the hub reconstruction.

as it would seem the most logical to use the parking lot behind mainstreet/tommorrowland for some of the staging for the hub construction

This makes sense. There really isn't a better way to get material and equipment into the hub.

aladdin2007

its becoming the new LA freeways of the east, unreal crowds levels in this park anymore.

dstrawn9889

What is a bypass and for what purpose they are building it?
Douglas Adams > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to wonder what's so great about point A that so many people from point B are so keen to get there, and what's so great about point B that so many people from point A are so keen to get there. They often wish that people would just once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be.”

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

wogwog

The location of this portion of the construction will not prevent equipment and materials from moving in and out of the park for the Hub work. The sketch drawn for me by a cast friend that saw it looks like it could be the start of columns sunk in the parking lot to support........your guess is as good as mine. Could be supports for a wall facade like the pictures above of DCA or something as simple as a relocation of a back area bus stop for employees. It does not have foundation as would be expected for a building. Anyone taking the bypass as it is now will be able to see it and maybe post a picture.

wogwog

All I can say? We went thru the area on our April-May 2014 trip. It worked, it looked like it's ALWAYS looked, it's an alley in the backlot.
It functions, it's ugly, and nothing of substance has been accomplished.
They accomplished ripping out backstage trees to join all the other trees ripped out on stage.;)

Unplugged

They accomplished ripping out backstage trees to join all the other trees ripped out on stage.;)

Yup. They did indeed fool Trotsky! He's so used to seeing no trees, had they left them in the ally, it would have appeared like a completely different area, not like the hub or Tomorrowland area he was leaving. So perhaps Disney accomplished their mission?

Bairstow

Does anyone yet know whether the bypass, when completed, will be normally open, or will it only be accessible to guests when it's necessary to alleviate the exit crush?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom