New Living Character Meet and Greets being tested at DL

hrcollectibles

littlecricket from MiceChat (who is usually pretty reliable with her info regarding the Entertainment Dept.) had this to say:

If this is a test run perhaps the girls names were pre recorded... I wonder who is doing the voice of Mickey sense we Lost the most current voice actor not too Long ago

FigmentJedi

I'm impressed by this one little thing more then I am about the Fantasyland Expansion and the bulk of California Adventure's makeover.
I'm amazed, incredibly impressed and a little weirded out at the same time. Well played Disney.

MarkTwain

I'm not entirely convinced Mickey's friend is controlling everything. It appeared Mickey's movements became more specific when he spoke about the princess posses. Those line felt scripted and might have been practiced with those movements.

The main reason I have for believing it is a two person operation is, how can Mickey's friend talk into a microphone without the guest hearing a second voice? Because not only would the costume need to be slightly sound proof from the inside out but it would also have to allow Mickey's friend to breath, hear the guest, and see.

If this is a two person job, then I don't see a major expansion of this technology beyond select Meet and Greets. The cost of having two performers would be too great for Disney to implement this. Not only would you need two friends per character but also character interactions will be longer and more teams of friends would be needed to meet guest demand.

I'm reasonably sure that whoever is inside Mickey is doing all the talking. I feel there's no way two people could collaborate that well to create spontaneous conversation.

Ever watch the Reluctant Dragon? That old obscure movie where Robert Bencheley takes a tour of the Disney studios? Well, in the movie they demonstrated a voice-changing device that allowed a woman to provide a voice to the Casey Train in Dumbo... without actually talking. She merely placed a recording device to her neck, starting lip-synching/whispering, and the voice of the train came out the speaker. And that was in 1941. I'm sure they could implement a similar technology today that worked with Mickey's voice.

And I disagree with those that say this makes Mickey look creepy. You wanna see creepy?

2-62MickeyScout1.jpg

(Disneyland, 1962, if I'm not mistaken)

I think that as costume technology improves, they actually become less unnatural-feeling. I think that 10 years from now, it'll be the static, unblinking heads that we consider creepy.

Testtrack321

How's Disney going to combat Potter. It's right infront of you.

Personal, customized, encounters between guests and characters. Not long lines for thrill rides. Well played.

My guess for the tech is that it's a modified version of the living character initiative that they use with Crush. There is little lag and some vocal shifts that make him sound a little off. The character performer hears from the outside audio, says words, goes to an off character computer, it's analyzed to sound like mickey and how to move his mouth, and voila, Mickey talks!

Wilt Dasney

And I disagree with those that say this makes Mickey look creepy. You wanna see creepy?

2-62MickeyScout1.jpg

(Disneyland, 1962, if I'm not mistaken)

I think that as costume technology improves, they actually become less unnatural-feeling. I think that 10 years from now, it'll be the static, unblinking heads that we consider creepy.
Oy. I absolutely agree that when you look at old character photos, some of those designs were just nightmare-inducing. The Mickey and Minnie heads sitting on top of stick thin human bodies with no padding at the Snow White premiere come to mind...as well as the weird as heck Pooh walkaround who had the honey pot on his head.

I think a lot of the "creepy" reactions from people are based on how this just defies all our long held ideas about what to expect from a character...what they "can" and "can't" do.

TP2000

Perhaps this is the kind of interaction we will be seeing if the RFID technology.. Perhaps thats how Mickey knew the names of the girls

I had to watch the video twice to catch it, but the girls tell Mickey their names.

But that's what makes it even more impressive; one was a very little girl with a very unclear voice, and the second young lady had Downs syndrome and when she told Mickey her name was Margaret it also wasn't very clear. But Mickey heard both their names accurately and instantly repeated them back to them! That makes me think the person inside the suit is doing all the work here, and there isn't a second person speaking by watching through hidden cameras.

Wow, is that impressive. Bravo Disneyland! You just know Walt is looking down from above and smiling over this one. :sohappy:

And I'll see your 1962 Disneyland Creepy Mickey, and raise you a 1959 Disneyland Creepy Mickey and Minnie! SCARY!

esther40.jpg

rodserling27

I have long dreamed of this happening, and having a conversation with the mouse himself. Can't wait for it to be implemented on a full-time basis!!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not entirely convinced Mickey's friend is controlling everything. It appeared Mickey's movements became more specific when he spoke about the princess posses. Those line felt scripted and might have been practiced with those movements.

The main reason I have for believing it is a two person operation is, how can Mickey's friend talk into a microphone without the guest hearing a second voice? Because not only would the costume need to be slightly sound proof from the inside out but it would also have to allow Mickey's friend to breath, hear the guest, and see.

I agree with this. It looks to me like it's a 2 person operation. Like you say, hearing Mickey's friends voice would be a real issue. It makes much more sense for a spotter to be listening-in with a Mickey head mounted mic, and then doing the audio remotely. This leaves Mickey's friend with just the job of animating.

PhilharMagician

I agree with this. It looks to me like it's a 2 person operation. Like you say, hearing Mickey's friends voice would be a real issue. It makes much more sense for a spotter to be listening-in with a Mickey head mounted mic, and then doing the audio remotely. This leaves Mickey's friend with just the job of animating.

This is increadible.

After watching these videos many times the timing between the actions of the character and the audible voice is spot on. The actions and reactions to comments are perfect. Unless this whole thing was staged, I find it hard to believe that one person back stage is voicing and the person in the costume is acting/animating. I have to believe that the percon in the costume is speaking into a mic that is synthesizing the voice. The easiest problem to solve would be muting the actors voice.

dreamfinder

Thats not unbelieveable. That happens with all the current characters. It stands to reason that they characters do have a set of scripted poses and routines so that they can have some sort of interaction with people who don't reply. The same way that mickey stood with his arm crooked in front of him for the picture. Enough to make the guest seem special, while still staying in character. It allows for something other than the normal, "Everyone smile!" pose.

Once again, completely within the realm of reason. I am fairly certain that special ops teams have mics that allow them to communicate making minimal noise. Not sure if they are actual mics, or induction tech, or something completely different, but it does exist.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I just do not see this being a two person operation. What is the benefit of using two separate people? The tech is there, the funding to integrate the tech is there. I really believe this is a 1 person job.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just do not see this being a two person operation. What is the benefit of using two separate people? The tech is there, the funding to integrate the tech is there. I really believe this is a 1 person job.

A couple of benefits of using 2 separate performers are:

1. There is no risk of the primary performer's original voice being heard by guests.
2. The computer/audio processing can be handled in a much more convenient remote location.
3. The secondary performer has a view of the whole environment and can therefore better interact with the group.
4. The secondary performer skill-set is talking, and the primary performer skill-set is animation.
5. The primary performer's animation tasks are very physical. It would be difficult for the primary to be able to do all of these tasks simulatenously, particulary in 95F in Florida.

We have certainly seen in previous living characters that the remote location is a preferred option. I don't know that this is done in this case, but it would certainly seem a very viable option.

Buried20KLeague

A couple of benefits of using 2 separate performers are:

1. There is no risk of the primary performer's original voice being heard by guests.
2. The computer/audio processing can be handled in a much more convenient remote location.
3. The secondary performer has a view of the whole environment and can therefore better interact with the group.
4. The secondary performer skill-set is talking, and the primary performer skill-set is animation.
5. The primary performer's animation tasks are very physical. It would be difficult for the primary to be able to do all of these tasks simulatenously, particulary in 95F in Florida.

We have certainly seen in previous living characters that the remote location is a preferred option. I don't know that this is done in this case, but it would certainly seem a very viable option.

The patent that was linked to earlier certainly seems to show this is a one-man job... The patent seems to be EXACTLY what we're seeing here.

I thought it was two people at first as well... But that patent is pretty much proof that's not the case.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The patent that was linked to earlier certainly seems to show this is a one-man job... The patent seems to be EXACTLY what we're seeing here.

I thought it was two people at first as well... But that patent is pretty much proof that's not the case.

Yep indeed. If we are seeing that patent executed, it is a one man job. The question is whether that patent from 1994 is what we are seeing.

It's one of these times when I imagine that the people who have developed this are busting to reveal how great the tech is and how it works, but the application is sensitive so it will never become public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom