New line etiquette?

Pepper's Ghost

You’re a better human than I.

Meh. I just know that roughly 20% of folks on these boards are dying to get into the parks immediately regardless of C-19, so I don't see the point of insulting anyone. Personally, I don't want to be dubbed as some kind of freak who's going to shutter themselves endlessly, because I'm not that guy. I'm just being cautious like most.

rct247

It does raise a very good question about when the parks will reopen. We will see other businesses open before we see Disney reopen. A restaurant or store can easily limit its capacity and have fewer patrons. The nature of a theme park is drawing upon crowds to be entertained in which groups of people attending shows or lining up is inevitable.

The parks can easily do away with character meet & greets, parades, fireworks, checking temps at the gate, and limiting the capacity of restaurants, stores, and shows, but how do you solve the crowds and lines? Limit park capacity too much that becomes an issue. Got to a VQ system and everyone is out on the pathways. Do you skip ever other row on Mine Train? Do you wipe down every vehicle after you play Buzz Lightyear?

Disney had a big puzzle to solve. Keep guests safe, keep their Cast Members safe, keep people employed, make money, but also make sure it doesn't turn into a PR nightmare.

RobWDW1971

It does raise a very good question about when the parks will reopen. We will see other businesses open before we see Disney reopen. A restaurant or store can easily limit its capacity and have fewer patrons. The nature of a theme park is drawing upon crowds to be entertained in which groups of people attending shows or lining up is inevitable.

The parks can easily do away with character meet & greets, parades, fireworks, checking temps at the gate, and limiting the capacity of restaurants, stores, and shows, but how do you solve the crowds and lines? Limit park capacity too much that becomes an issue. Got to a VQ system and everyone is out on the pathways. Do you skip ever other row on Mine Train? Do you wipe down every vehicle after you play Buzz Lightyear?

Disney had a big puzzle to solve. Keep guests safe, keep their Cast Members safe, keep people employed, make money, but also make sure it doesn't turn into a PR nightmare.
But it's not a PR nightmare if the world is back open and the virus is among us - it's no different than any other business.

Jon81uk

Morning all
We have a trip fully paid for beginning of July, for the reasons about my wife does not want to return to the parks so soon if they are open and if flight are available, the problem we have is if open and flights are going from the uk l dont think our insurance will cover us for cancelling just because we dont want to go ?

I think the UK government will extend the travel ban but it probably will be on a rolling 30 days (current ban is until April 15th, so it will extend to May 15th soon I expect and so on), as soon as the travel ban covers your dates you can claim on insurance (but you will need to try to get refunds from who you booked with first and then claim on insurance). Personally I would be very surprised if the UK government allows international travel in July so I expect your trip will be cancelled.

Pepper's Ghost

But it's not a PR nightmare if the world is back open and the virus is among us - it's no different than any other business.

I see your point, but Disney by the nature of the Parks business is at greater risk, even more so than professional sports teams. Pro sports crams tons of people into tight spaces as Disney does, but attending Disney parks requires you to touch things so many other people have touched seconds or minutes before you. You can't possibly wash your hands every time you would "need to" in order to stay safe from the virus. At a sporting event, maybe a couple people have touched your seat, or that railing, but not a different person every 5 minutes or less like at a Disney park. Also, pro sports can open back up without allowing crowds and still draw their TV revenues. Unless I'm missing something that probably won't work for Disney parks.

With that said if a major re-occurrence of the outbreak happens in the U.S., I'm sure within a few months they'll be able to trace it back to the source. IF a single major source ends up being a Disney park, you better bet it will be a PR nightmare.

ppet

I can see the monorail now. With 6' feet between passengers, there will be about 8 people to a car. Maybe everyone can just be in their own inflatable rolling bubble. Just pay extra for character prints. Disney can sell them with the ponchos. ;)

Pepper's Ghost

I can see the monorail now. With 6' feet between passengers, there will be about 8 people to a car. Maybe everyone can just be in their own inflatable rolling bubble. Just pay extra for character prints. Disney can sell them with the ponchos. ;)

That'd be a cool new way to experience Main St... rolling end over end down the street in your own bubble. I'll take the one with the Haunted Mansion wallpaper print on it!

Edit: cleaning up typos. My admin assistant is on vacation and I can't type intelligibly. lol

Last edited:

The Mighty Tim

I think the UK government will extend the travel ban but it probably will be on a rolling 30 days (current ban is until April 15th, so it will extend to May 15th soon I expect and so on), as soon as the travel ban covers your dates you can claim on insurance (but you will need to try to get refunds from who you booked with first and then claim on insurance). Personally I would be very surprised if the UK government allows international travel in July so I expect your trip will be cancelled.

Plus, even if the UK does allow international travel, who knows what state the airlines will be in or what restrictions the US will still have in place.

Quite what that means from an insurance point of view means is anyone's guess at this point.

I'm still thinking that my September trip id no better than 50/50 at this point.

NelleBelle

Once the parks reopen they should have a ride attendant at the exit passing out sanitizing wipes like they do on the DCL (supposedly better than hand sanitizer?) Or for rides like Buzz Lightyear, hand you the wipe to wipe your laser down as you enter the ride (I always wanted to bathe in bleach after touching those things)!!!

HongKongFooy

The Sombrero trick works best if we bar NBA players or those Ben Affleck, Tim Ribbons, Tyler Perry, Vince Vaughn, Maria Sherapova types out there.

Simba’s Mom

That first time in a packed line...using all available space in front of me......then someone behind me sneezes or coughs on me uncovered ...yeah.

Going to be noticing that more I’m sure.

That's exactly my fear also. As someone mentioned here previously, I can't help but wonder if WDW will institute the "every other seat" rule, modify or even eliminate buffets for a while in restaurants, during the first weeks it's reopened.

Nottamus

That's exactly my fear also. As someone mentioned here previously, I can't help but wonder if WDW will institute the "every other seat" rule, modify or even eliminate buffets for a while in restaurants, during the first weeks it's reopened.

especially when it first opens. No none is going to want to get close to anyone for awhile. There will be space invaders...maybe by accident...heck, I might walk to close to someone unknowingly and get yelled at.

my little pocket sized hand sanitizer with probably get upgraded to soda can size..

drizgirl

A virtual queue is fine, but eventually you have so many people hanging around not waiting in line that they're going to have nowhere to go. At any given time in the parks, there has always been a huge percentage of the day's attendance in a line somewhere. Abolish the lines and you have a lot more people milling about.

Djsfantasi

I bet when they reopen they just have people continuously walk through to the loading area until sometime in the future.

Except, in one of the parks (can’t remember which one), the loading area is at a different level. The stretching room is a giant elevator, bringing guests from the entrance level to the loading room level.

Djsfantasi

I see your point, but Disney by the nature of the Parks business is at greater risk, even more so than professional sports teams. Pro sports crams tons of people into tight spaces as Disney does, but attending Disney parks requires you to touch things so many other people have touched seconds or minutes before you. You can't possibly wash your hands every time you would "need to" in order to stay safe from the virus. At a sporting event, maybe a couple people have touched your seat, or that railing, but not a different person every 5 minutes or less like at a Disney park. Also, pro sports can open back up without allowing crowds and still draw their TV revenues. Unless I'm missing something that probably won't work for Disney parks.

With that said if a major re-occurrence of the outbreak happens in the U.S., I'm sure within a few months they'll be able to trace it back to the source. IF a single major source ends up being a Disney park, you better bet it will be a PR nightmare.

The ONLY time I contracted the flu was after a Disney trip. I have no direct proof, but the evidence suggests...

HongKongFooy

Bypassing stretch room, Rod Serling parlor/library, music recording studio, Dr Marsh and Grant Seekerish holding tanks ruin attractions.

Those tanks, as tired and long in the tooth as some are, serve a very real purpose: storytelling. I want the whole story, not some edited rendition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom