New Jim Hill article

SSE

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...di-complains-about-all-those-complainers.aspx

In this new article Jim Hill shows an e-mail from an imagineer, who says that Disney fans should basically shut up and stop complaining about what they are creating.

I don't agree with it at all. If the fans don't challenge the imagineers to create the best attractions then they will become complacent and just put in the minimum amount of effort. Also the average guest that books a trip to Walt Disney World is probably not aware of the kind of experience that Walt Disney wanted to give families. Many go because of the Disney name and to allow their children to say we took a Disney trip, not because they feel a connection to the parks or Walt Disney's dream.

I also understand that Walt Disney is long gone and that we shouldn't always ask what he would do, but I think the Walt Disney Company has a responsibility to carry out his legacy and build the best quality attractions they can and listen to the criticism of others. If all we do is tell them what they are doing right what is there for them to work on.

imagineer boy

Wow, that imagineer slammed our forums.:mad:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...di-complains-about-all-those-complainers.aspx

In this new article Jim Hill shows an e-mail from an imagineer, who says that Disney fans should basically shut up and stop complaining about what they are creating.

I don't agree with it at all. If the fans don't challenge the imagineers to create the best attractions then they will become complacent and just put in the minimum amount of effort. Also the average guest that books a trip to Walt Disney World is probably not aware of the kind of experience that Walt Disney wanted to give families. Many go because of the Disney name and to allow their children to say we took a Disney trip, not because they feel a connection to the parks or Walt Disney's dream.

I also understand that Walt Disney is long gone and that we shouldn't always ask what he would do, but I think the Walt Disney Company has a responsibility to carry out his legacy and build the best quality attractions they can and listen to the criticism of others. If all we do is tell them what they are doing right what is there for them to work on.

I agree with everything you said. What do the imagineers expect us to do? Bow down and worship everything they do and call it perfect?

hemloc

That's what I think your readers need to understand. When it comes to Walt Disney World, we're not out to please the annual passholders. Our goal here is service the tens of millions of other guests for whom a Disney World vacation is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

As a Premium Annual Passholder, I have no problems with this statement. I always try to bring people with me who haven't been to Disney in years, or have NEVER been there(Especially friends with kids!). The reactions from them make it all worthwhile as they always have a good time and are just in awe of everything. And seeing it through a kids eyes is just priceless...

Captain Hank

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with a few points you made in your post.

It is not the responsibility of the Disney Guests to challenge the Imagineers to put forth their best effort. That comes from within the company. Those in places of leadership within the company get their information from guest satisfaction surveys and other avenues in order to judge the quality of the attraction, and respond back to Imagineering accordingly. The point of view of the die-hard Disney fan doesn't always line up with this, but such is life. Of course, Guests who are dissatisfied with some aspect of their trip to a Disney Park are always welcome to send a letter to the company outlining their concerns. Just, please keep criticism constructive and realistic.

Regarding the Imagineer who wrote the e-mail in the article, he/she has a valid point. There's a difference between constructive criticism and complaining for the sake of complaining. While it seems that the responses to Toy Story Midway Mania on WDWMagic have been overwhelmingly positive, keep the Spaceship Earth fiasco in mind. In my opinion, most of that was an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction against change, regardless of whether it was good or bad. It's got to be rough, having spent months or years working on a project only to hear dozens of anonymous people on the Internet denouncing a ride that they haven't even ridden yet.

Finally, I believe that in most cases the parks have met or exceeded Walt's desire for quality family entertainment. Guests, both online and in real life, are holding the Disney parks to an impossibly high standard and, for the most part, the parks have been able to keep up. Sure, there have been missteps along the way (see: Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management), but overall things are doing quite well. At times, I wonder if some of the most outspoken critics of the parks' management (see: Micechat) would be satisfied if they were taken back in time to when Walt (or, more accurately, managers working more-or-less under Walt) was in charge of things. I'd guess that they'd find far more things to complain about.

To the OP: I really don't mean to single you out at all. This turned into more of a general comment on Disney fandom.

SSE

Original Poster
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with a few points you made in your post.

It is not the responsibility of the Disney Guests to challenge the Imagineers to put forth their best effort. That comes from within the company. Those in places of leadership within the company get their information from guest satisfaction surveys and other avenues in order to judge the quality of the attraction, and respond back to Imagineering accordingly. The point of view of the die-hard Disney fan doesn't always line up with this, but such is life. Of course, Guests who are dissatisfied with some aspect of their trip to a Disney Park are always welcome to send a letter to the company outlining their concerns. Just, please keep criticism constructive and realistic.

Regarding the Imagineer who wrote the e-mail in the article, he/she has a valid point. There's a difference between constructive criticism and complaining for the sake of complaining. While it seems that the responses to Toy Story Midway Mania on WDWMagic have been overwhelmingly positive, keep the Spaceship Earth fiasco in mind. In my opinion, most of that was an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction against change, regardless of whether it was good or bad. It's got to be rough, having spent months or years working on a project only to hear dozens of anonymous people on the Internet denouncing a ride that they haven't even ridden yet.

Finally, I believe that in most cases the parks have met or exceeded Walt's desire for quality family entertainment. Guests, both online and in real life, are holding the Disney parks to an impossibly high standard and, for the most part, the parks have been able to keep up. Sure, there have been missteps along the way (see: Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management), but overall things are doing quite well. At times, I wonder if some of the most outspoken critics of the parks' management (see: Micechat) would be satisfied if they were taken back in time to when Walt (or, more accurately, managers working more-or-less under Walt) was in charge of things. I'd guess that they'd find far more things to complain about.

To the OP: I really don't mean to single you out at all. This turned into more of a general comment on Disney fandom.

Don't worry I don't feel singled out, you do have valid points and I do believe that there are people out there that do complain just to complain. I just feel sometimes the average guest doesn't realize what the parks are suppose to signify and could care less if the company added a character to every attraction on property. In reference to the whole SSE issue I'm sure many people can tell it is one of my favorite attractions just by my username, but I have yet to take a side one way or the other on the refurbishment. I will be going down to WDW in two weeks and once I get to experience for myself I will make an opinion.

tirian

I just read the article.

Wow.

If the story is authentic (no offense to Hill, just to his writing style), the Imagineer has serious confidence issues. Part of being in the creative industry means accepting that nobody will ever like 100% of what you've done. You have to know when to listen to complaints as "constructive criticism" and when to ignore them as "somebody's unique opinion."

People get online and complain because they can, not because what they say is particularly important. Sometimes, the comments are absolutely true. For example, SSE's reopening WAS a fiasco, whether Disney wants to admit it or not. I rode SSE countless times during its soft-opening phase, and saw ladders, buckets, and other materials that workers forgot to clean up before the attraction opened. Even now, animatronics have already required maintenance because the original job was rushed. But online comments are also frequently immature rants from narrow-minded people with nothing else to do with their time. And you know what? Those people are easy to spot and to ignore.

Although I understand where she's coming from, this Imagineer's letter seems unnecessarily whiny to me, because she should ignore immature comments instead of wringing her hands over them. She should also have enough wisdom to know when the complaints are constructive critiques that should be considered. (To paraphrase a quote: "We KNOW there's an acoustic problem! Stop telling us!" Okay, do the best you can and ignore the constant complaints.)

Specifically naming this site shows bad form too, because it's one of the most pro-Disney boards online. A handful of consistently negative members shouldn't make her hate an online community that consists of thousands.

tirian

Yes, she does make valid points; but it's her responsibility to ignore those who complain for the heck of it. I agree with her message, but not her whining method of delivery. ;)

hemloc

For example, SSE's reopening WAS a fiasco, whether Disney wants to admit it or not. I rode SSE countless times during its soft-opening phase, and saw ladders, buckets, and other materials that workers forgot to clean up before the attraction opened.

A fiasco according to who, exactly(Well, other than the diehards, that is..)?? And as for the unfinished part, that is to be expected during a soft opening. The attraction is not technically open at that point, so I dunno what you expected, but apparently, it was far too much??

tirian

A fiasco according to who, exactly(Well, other than the diehards, that is..)?? And as for the unfinished part, that is to be expected during a soft opening. The attraction is not technically open at that point, so I dunno what you expected, but apparently, it was far too much??

A fiasco in that it was rushed and opened unfinished, not that online "foamers" complained. A suddenly shortened deadline causes a lot of stress. And no, there is never a good excuse for leaving work tools visible in an attraction. There were WAY too many things visible--paintbrushes, hammers, buckets, ladders, step stools, etc. I was shocked, but I understood that it was an accident. I didn't run to Guest Relations crying that my experience was ruined! :lol:

I should mention that I work for Disney, too, which is why my post probably sounds harsher than I intend.

DisneyAnole

To me "soft opening" isn't synonymous with "not finished." I always thought of soft openings as technical rehearsals, implying that all the parts are there and everything might or might not work according to plan. But with SSE things are still being added months after the official reopening...

hemloc

To me "soft opening" isn't synonymous with "not finished."

Well, sorry to say... That's pretty much what you get at a soft opening(And I have seen the signs that point out as much at various theme parks).

SSE

Original Poster
Well, sorry to say... That's pretty much what you get at a soft opening(And I have seen the signs that point out as much at various theme parks).

What is wrong with expecting them to clean the area and at least make it look presentable. I'm sure no one here is stating that they expect a soft opening to have absolutely no problems and everything going off without a hitch. But to be able to see construction equipment as some people state shouldn't be allowed.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think that these forums practiclly exist for people to whine. But at the same time, we can't ignore the positive. When's the last time you heard unaminously positive review for a ride? I'm going to go with "never." And I can certainly understand the Imagineer's frustration. To open the doors expecting to hear thunderous applause and instead hear "the acoustics suck" would not be fun. I do, however, bet that that Imagineer is now regretting writing that e-mail. As he/she is human, they (just like all of us) use the internet to vent and let out all of the negativity stored up. Now that that's of their chest, I'm sure they still agree with the major points state, but wish that they could re-write the e-mail. Overall, I agree with the Imagineer. I'm sure that they do the job for the people as well as just the pay, and nowadays when most of the feedback they get is people pouting on forums instead of actually seeing kids being amazed by their creation, I can see how they could, indeed get their feelings hurt.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have a hard time believing an Imagineer wrote an e-mail like that.

Disney is known for 'frowning on' CMs commenting outside the company and no-one, 'friend' of not of JH, would risk writing him such an e-mail. The writing style of the purported e-mail is quite similar to JH's.

:shrug:

DisneyAnole

I think that these forums practiclly exist for people to whine. But at the same time, we can't ignore the positive. When's the last time you heard unaminously positive review for a ride? I'm going to go with "never."

HM upgrade, Everest, Nemo Musical...

All of those were almost unanimously praised online.

tirian

I do, however, bet that that Imagineer is now regretting writing that e-mail. As he/she is human, they (just like all of us) use the internet to vent and let out all of the negativity stored up. Now that that's of their chest, I'm sure they still agree with the major points state, but wish that they could re-write the e-mail.

Very considerate comment. I don't think any of us thought about that.

DisneyAnole

Perhaps I should've worded it differently. Soft openings are clearly a time to adjust certain aspects of an attraction, but I would suspect that most soft openings showcase attractions that aren't egregious examples of "bad show." At the very least, most of the props are there. Everest's soft opening wasn't missing the Yeti, for instance. Soft openings are technical rehearsals which means that technically everything is in place...even if things aren't going to work flawlessly. SSE was a fiasco by most measures.

tirian

Disney is known for 'frowning on' CMs commenting outside the company and no-one, 'friend' of not of JH, would risk writing him such an e-mail. The writing style of the purported e-mail is quite similar to JH's.

:shrug:

You're absolutely right. But because I know that many in WDI do talk when they shouldn't, I personally think he's paraphrasing a real letter. Of course, I also don't want to admit that anybody else could have a writing style as terrible as Jim Hill's! :lol:

The comments definitely match the general attitude throughout much of WDI. Nobody likes to have everything they do ripped apart. But like I said earlier, criticism is an unfortunate aspect of the creative industry that members just have to "deal with." Movie directors, movie stars, artists, web developers, Imagineers--everybody has to accept that it will happen, even if they don't agree with the actual comments. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom