New Jim Hill article

tirian

I would say this horse is pretty much hamburger...

602__image_09.jpg

I would like extra cheese and no pickles.

yankspy

I guess we can be happy that at least one imagineer looks at our comments.:p Also it shouldn't matter if your a passholder or first time guest, the attraction should be designed to please both parties. Its kinda sad that Disney could care less about those who spend a lot of time and money at the parks. There really should be a frequent visitor program to reward those who spend a lot of time and money at Disney. Magic Kingdom club was a nice perk, but as usual that was yanked. Now I know why.:hammer:Maybe Disney should take a cue from Vegas and reward its big spenders. Most companies do, its good customer service. Truthfully I hope this twit gets fired for his cry baby comments. I know his comments have made me think less of Disney and thats never good for business. :mad:

PS
I bet this is the turd who designed Alien Encounter and The Tiki Room under Horrible Management.:kiss:
I do not think that disney could care less about the diehards. I just think that some of the comments made by them are a little self-centered. An example of this is soarin. I have heard many diehards say that soarin needs a new movie. Many do not realize that for a lot of people this is still a new attraction. It is unfair to hold all of disney for the comments of one person. As far as rewarding the big spenders. What about the perks for disney visa? What about the dining card for annual passholders? I am sure there are more that I am not thinking of. As far as your comments about Alien Encounter. There were a lot of people who loved that attraction(including me). You might want to consider that everyone has different tastes. :)

ryguy

2/10 - Your troll-fu is weak.
Nice use of the Urban Dictionary. Unfortunately I am not a kool aid drinker for everything Disney. As long as the critism is legit and well thought out, I think its fair game. Doesn't make the person saying it a hater of Disney. I believe everyone here loves Disney, thats why we visit this site. It wouldn't be a very entertaining place if we blew sunshine in every post and didn't have a honest discussion about our differences. Call me crazy but I still think its bad business to have comments coming from your employees saying negative things about your customers. Needless to say I would be ed if my employess were telling my best(and Loyal) customers that they are a pain in the rear. Just my opionion.:wave:

Enderikari

Nice use of the Urban Dictionary.
Wazzat? Its a fark-ism. I breed true.

Unfortunately I am not a kool aid drinker for everything Disney.
Ha! Now I know you're trolling, Disney doesn't even SELL Kool-Aid! :animwink:

As long as the critism is legit and well thought out, I think its fair game.
Agreed, but I have yet to see any legit and well thought-out criticism. I await with bated breath.

Doesn't make the person saying it a hater of Disney.
Nope, it makes them something, but I don't know what...
I believe everyone here loves Disney, thats why we visit this site.
To a point, but that's really not at issue here.
It wouldn't be a very entertaining place if we blew sunshine in every post and didn't have a honest discussion about our differences.
Right, let's talk about honest discussion from the man who starts name-calling the people responsible for the overlay to Enchanted Tiki Room, and the design of Alien Encounter (I thought that was a "much beloved attraction everyone was sad to see go?)
Call me crazy
OK
Needless to say I would be ed if my employess were telling my best(and Loyal) customers that they are a pain in the rear.
Right, up and to the point where those "loyal customers" are doing nothing but walking into your store, pointing, laughing, name-calling and just generally tormenting your employees on a daily basis. Something tells me that you may want to step in and do something to protect your employees from harassment (which, have no illusions, a lot of this internet stuff amounts to). Otherwise, I do have to call to task your management style/abilities. (You would, wouldn't you? I hope so)

Just my opionion.:wave:
Mine too, everyone is entitled to one.

nibblesandbits

Well, I'm always behind and usually kill these kinds of threads...so after I state my peace, this thread will essentially die...:lol:

What did the Imagineer say that was wrong?

Taking criticism is one thing...but when you constantly hear negative after negative...there comes a point where you don't even want to try...because you know, if you do your best...you're still going to get nothing but negatives.

I actually applaud the Imagineer for speaking his mind on the subject.

Sure, he singled out this forum...but look around the forums! Nothing but complaints and complaints and complaints! If there is a compliment, 9 times out of 10 it's followed up with a negative!

Bravo to that Imagineer.

Couldn't agree more with you! I know if I kept feeling like I put my heart and soul into something, only to get it beaten down constantly by people who had nothing to do with the project, I'd be upset too.

But ultimately it's a 3D video game with out a story, or the sense that you are in another world. A nice little C-TICKET. But so much has been spent, we all expect a major E-TICKET.

I think it should be reversed...I'm happy to have a C or D ticket attraction that has the budget of an E ticket. That means they can plus out certain things more...like the queue. We've all seen pics of the queue now...it's amazing. It's more than likely, if they hadn't had the E Ticket money...that queue (and the outside of the attraction as well) probably wouldn't be nearly as interesting as it is now. I mean for pete sake...there's a state of the art AA in the queue that you only get to see if you're waiting in stand by!

I don't expect an E ticket attraction every time Disney builds something new...no matter what the "budget" says the attraction should be. I think that's a problem a lot of people have lately. They expect everything built to be built to E ticket standards. I look at the concept of the ride and to me, this concept says solid D ticket attraction.

Personally it just sounds like the writer of the email has worked very, very hard on a ride that took years to produce only to hear negative reviews. Of course they're going to take it personally. Imagine creating something you put your heart into for years only to have it slammed...it would be heart breaking.

On the other note, that same imagineer will feel better once s/he sees the countless families who'll wait 2 hours to ride the ride TSM and see the children screaming for their fav character. Heck, they should even be happy to see the positive reviews on youtube for the Mr. Potato Head AA. It blew me away seeing the footage, let alone experience it in reality.

As you can see, I agreed with your first part...:D

The Potato Head comment...we did see some people who weren't impressed by Potato Head. (Some of those are no longer with us, however) I know I was impressed, but note, not everyone thought it was as cool as it really is. I still can't wait to see it in person!

If any Imagineers are reading this blog, we do appreciate everything you do, and we know that because of you, Disney parks are still the best theme parks on earth. We also understand that budget cuts and other interferences sometimes hinder you from realizing a project's full potential, and we hope that those incidents don't discourage you from fulfilling your dreams of being Imagineers.

I couldn't agree with this more either! Thank you Imagineers for all the hard work that you put into what you do. There are some of us around here who do appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears you put into what you do, despite anything that may hinder your process.

Since that time, I've done everything I can to prevent spoiling an attraction for myself by reading reviews or watching videos, so that for a brief moment, I can once again be a first time visitor with no expectations other than my own--and for that, I feel far more fulfilled as a Disney fan.

Whether or not the comments by the Imagineer were real (I know Jim enough to trust him), I do find a deeper message within the story that I've finally begun to understand over the past year. To me, Disney is about the magical experiences that are unlike any others. To be amazed by something new for the first time, is in my opinion, magic. It is for that kind of magic that I keep going back to the parks...

Just my two bits. :shrug:

I couldn't agree more. When I first started out on these forums and learning about new rides, I couldn't get enough of spoilers. I wanted to see all the videos of attractions. There was an attraction that had just been built (I can't for the life of me remember what it was right now...man how I wish I could.) and I looked up the ride video before I actually went on the ride.

Biggest mistake I could have made. I ended up feeling disappointed in the ride b/c I had already "exprienced" it through everything I saw and read.

Now, I go into refurbs and new attractions without trying to spoil as much. I always go into an attraction with an open mind, no matter what I may have heard about it previously. (It is hard to miss the praise or criticisms when you don't get to go down as often as people like you Adam who live down there). I may read some spoilers, but don't think real hard about where they are or how they play out. I only read them so I get an idea of what goes on. Last, I watch absolutely no video of these attractions. This way, I'm completely surprised.

This worked for me on my last trip. I wasn't nearly as disappointed as others were at MILF. I actually thought it was cute. Sure, it's only good one time per trip for me...but it was still cute. I saw HM without any previews, and we all know that turned out well. Finding Nemo at AK and The Seas With Nemo, I hadn't seen anything of...and I loved those too. I haven't seen SSE yet, but I will go into it with an open mind and not have the disappointment and intense criticism I've heard influence my opinion. Nor will I let anything I hear about TSMM effect what I think of the ride.

It is better going into it, as you said, with more of a first timer attitude. You seem to enjoy things more. Or at least I do.

I agree, to a point. The issues brought up in this thread go beyond "bean counters" or "creativity." I believe the crux of the article goes more to the judgment of that creativity. The difference brought out in the article is the different judgments passed by fanboys and those of the average guest. Can you imagine the outcry of "sloppy imagineering" today if someone placed a placard in front of a weed in the parks? The forums would be buzzing with calls for firing everyone involved... same reaction we saw in many of the SSE threads.

The judgment of the creativity is the problem...

Agreed.

We should all get something straight...when it comes to criticism WDI is kinda tender about it at the moment especially coming from the Disney Geeks and foamers. Do we all not understand that our whining caused a major uproar/rift at WDI over the IASW referb which got national attention and now we're attacking another attraction, a new attraction, an attraction designed for us? Come on, they have every right to hate us.

We all assume the Imagineers can take the "constructive criticism" from the fans? We all assume we know everything. But really how many of us actually work for an integrated matrix based entertainment corporation? I think most of us don't therefore how can we give constructive criticism?

We don't know the exact budgets, we don't know the real time frames, the constraints, we really don't know all the much when it comes to all the "hows and whys" when building an attraction. We all assume we could do better but it comes done to it, but really could we? We can't answer that question.

We should be grateful that WDI has talented people on hand to create experiences for us. Will I say everything by WDI is brilliant...no. But I will say that it's all FUN! I think that's the underlining point we're all missing.
So what if things don't match 100% especially dealing with cross properties such as recreating an animated feature which is flat on the screen into a 3 or 4 dimensional experience. Things will get lost. Period.

We need to stop being picky and be more grateful, appreciative, happy and delighted.

I'm one who supports Imagineers in all that they do. It's a tough act. Give em a break!

I agree with this statement too. The pickyness is getting really old. It's one thing to have maybe a legitimate criticism...but compaining for the sake of complaining...or even having a legitimate criticism, but then beating it to the ground over and over again...is REALLY really tiresome! And it happens way too often here.

t3techcom18

I honestly don't know what to make of the whole ordeal. While I agree that, if, someone insults you and bashes your work that you've been doing for the who knows how many, but even then, if you can't criticism, then, like the phrase goes, "If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

I"m involved with my school's theater program, and believe me, when it comes time for Tech Week (aka the last week before a show/during, with all final elements in place; our own version of Test and Adjust), our teacher is HARD on us, setting impossible deadlines, comments about movements or scenes that we hadn't heard before after countless times of watching it, even stuff that we had since day one and wants to change it, yeah, people WOULD be angry about that. But even then, with all that, you HAVE to keep in mind that stress does things to people, PLUS you just have to keep going if you have those types of comments going your way. Be constructive and use it to your own advantage. Exploit it, use it to see what other advantages you could use in the future, ie, what to do and what not to do.

Sure, theater has a LOT more flexibility than theme park rides. But even then, who's to say that they're good on their own account? The audience says if they're good or not. If this bites SSE's fiasco in the rear, look at what my teacher said in regards to our last production that we did: We were running behind, despite the accounts of having TONS of work that we did, installing, painting sets, etc. What did she say however, that got us all riled up and, at the same time, drew a parallel to the SSE fiasco? "If I'm not comfortorable with it, or if it's unfinished, I won't show this to people." If SHE said that bout our show, then WHY couldn't WDI do the same thing?

That brings me to my other nitpick about this. It almost seems as if this Imagineer is covering their A$$ with saying what they said. Yes, I understand that budgets happen and it cuts stuff, or execs wanting to change things cause they want it differently, and I understand, that's a HUGE pain to have on top of your shoulders, 24/7; but with this Imagineer saying that they build rides for one-timers and people who visit every so once in a while, yet a good chunk of populous that keeps the people going throughout the year are locals who happen to be Passholders or just come all the time. How are THEY gunna feel about that? Sure, it's nice to entice and have new reasons for one-timers and people who don't visit often to go the parks, but what are you going to do about the people who visit all the time, see everything over and over again, and have nothing new to go to? Therefore, if that stays the way it is, they will lose money, more so, lose interest in the parks, as people will then think that it's boring. That would be a MAJOR loss. Disney isn't a new company; they don't need to establish a connection with an audience; they've had one for nearly the past 60 or 70 so years. They just need to have more for those who regulary go instead of creating reasons for new people to go.

Annnd lastly, my last nitpick is with people saying that JH's letter is forgery. I want to know why many think this, cause I like his columns honestly. Is there some days where it's just plain crappy? Sure, all writers have their bad days. Does he have bad grammar sometimes? Definitely so, but I don't let it get to me. Is he negative lots of times? Yes, however, when your speaking truth, it may not be pretty. There's more than just good news in the world today folks. You need to see both sides of the news, both good AND bad, even if it's with your favorite stuff. I'm gunna do something I usually do in my Debate class honestly, and they mention on here so much for these types of news: Source? Where's the source saying this info is false? I don't want to turn this into a firestorm, I just want to know why you guys are saying this. :wave:

blm07

Say's who? You?

If that is your opinion you are welcome to it, but I'm not sure that is in a rule book anywhere.

Additionally, you realize how many attractions that would exclude? Here are 10 off the top of my head:

Soarin'
Muppetvision
Philharmagic
It's Tough to be a Bug
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
O Canada
Wonder of China (name?)
Monster's Inc
Toy Story Mania (assumption, I have not ridden it or read any previews)
Star Tours

It doesn't bother me if the attraction is originally film based. What bothers me is when they replace props or animatronics with screens.

SDav10495

Aacck, there's too much to talk about in this thread...but I would like to quickly (and politely) respond to this:

Annnd lastly, my last nitpick is with people saying that JH's letter is forgery. I want to know why many think this, cause I like his columns honestly. Is there some days where it's just plain crappy? Sure, all writers have their bad days. Does he have bad grammar sometimes? Definitely so, but I don't let it get to me. Is he negative lots of times? Yes, however, when your speaking truth, it may not be pretty. There's more than just good news in the world today folks. You need to see both sides of the news, both good AND bad, even if it's with your favorite stuff. I'm gunna do something I usually do in my Debate class honestly, and they mention on here so much for these types of news: Source? Where's the source saying this info is false? I don't want to turn this into a firestorm, I just want to know why you guys are saying this. :wave:

As one of the people who made what amounted to a forgery claim (on page 6 of this thread), let me just explain again here: I am not anti-JHM. I read Jim's columns all the time and usually find something informative in them, even if they haven't been especially...exciting of late. I raised suspicion about the e-mails used in this column only after I realized (remember, I'm a frequent JHM reader) that the writing style of both e-mails was extremely similar to Jim's own. It's not as if I decided I didn't like what the e-mails had to say and went off crying "forgery" to discredit them somehow (and I don't think that's what most others did, either). The questions of authenticity arose because of a legitimate similarity in style.

Others have been defending Jim by saying that he's probably just paraphrasing what his sources said, and so his own unique voice worked its way into the writing. As I said in my previous post, that would be absolutely fine--but since he hasn't revealed that that's the case, there is still reason to doubt. He should really let his readers know if he is going to do that.

MousDad

The celebrity poster over at LP claims to know who the Imagineer is, and he is dropping strong hints to his identity. I don't know enough about WDI to know who he's talking about, but I'm sure alot of you do. Check out the last page of their thread on the subject.

SDav10495

The celebrity poster over at LP claims to know who the Imagineer is, and he is dropping strong hints to his identity. I don't know enough about WDI to know who he's talking about, but I'm sure alot of you do. Check out the last page of their thread on the subject.

Hmm...interesting. I'm no WDI expert, so I have no clue whether or not the idea I have (based on the hints) is correct...

tirian

Aack! My eyes! Steve, thank you for operating a visually pleasing website!

As for Spirit's posts on LP...he has fairly good sources, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. Like I said earlier, WDI is not as tight-lipped as Disney wants us to believe, but most of the rumors that make it online are 100% false.

T-1MILLION

I dont think the imagineers should get the criticism. I think the accountants who have final say on a project and cut the funding out of these attractions is the real reason some of them appear to have less imagination in them than in past years.

This I could not agree with more.

I don't think anyone ever really slams Imagineering for lack of creativity. We know the teams are full of it and when Imagineers such as Joe Rhode, and Tony Baxter are let out of their cages (given a good buget) great things happen. As I feel they would with anything. It is just sad to be that we have to see budget cuts at any theme park attraction from Disney.

The Imagineers always seem to do their best with what they are given. I am sure even some of them hate some directions the parks take (personally Toy Story Mania is not my cup of tea, but that is fine, others will enjoy it)

I just personally think that the executive level is lacking some creativity in certain areas, soley my opinion here. Always respect for Imagineers who do their best with that they have.....

but I see a problem with the upper level creaivity when we have another Toy Story based attraction that has the same general premise of scoring high points by targeting things virtual or real set in a dark ride. I don't blame the Imagineers for that though, I perosnally blame the constant synergy that is being forced on them. Synergy is great at times and as many know Walt Disney's original design was mostly based off of his tv and movies, but it became so much more that even Walt oversaw original concepts, now I feel that Toy Story Mania was a good idea to launch on the exectuve whim just because Toy Story 3 is going in the works.

I may get bashed for all of this, but that is just my opinion in some areas of the company.

Imagineers, keep up the good work where the big shots let you!

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom