1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Hotel to Join Swan & Dolphin

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by AndrewsJ, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Would a third building for Tishman/Marriott necessarily be another "Disney Resort as operated by Marriott" in the same vein as the Swolphin?

2. creathir

creathir Well-Known Member

Interesting.

So I guess we need to start guessing which animal they use to theme it.

Panda maybe? Pretty sure they are not going to use an alligator...

I always associated the Dolphin and Swan with Fantasia for some reason, so maybe they go with a centaur or a bear...

3. MattyBear

MattyBear Member

Part of our party will be staying at that resort at the end of September. Would love to see some pictures of the lobby and other construction.
    Thank you

4. WDWFANSINCE81

WDWFANSINCE81 Member

Considering Swan is a Westin and Dolphin is a Sheraton, I can only hope the new one would be a W. I'll put money on The Pelican as the name...a boutique Miami Beach style resort...would fit in with The Swan and Dolphin quite well.

creathir and WDWdream97 like this.
  5. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Well-Known Member

manatee?

disneylandcm and creathir like this.
  6. articos

articos Well-Known Member

Same vein, yes. Not necessarily Marriott, unless you are referring to the corporate brand as opposed to the hotel brand.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  7. articos

articos Well-Known Member

Not necessarily about the date as much as it is about the economics and Disney/RCID being in the midst of a major infrastructure upgrade, plus the 50th coming up.

the.dreamfinder likes this.
  8. MisterPenguin

Yeah, I was referring to Marriott the corporate overlord and not Marriott the hotel brand.

The Westin and Sheraton branding of the Swolphin has become vanishing small online over the past few years. Do you know if the two resorts are really being operated by two different subsidiaries, or, is the brand distinction only one in name?

9. MisterPenguin

PorterRedkey likes this.
  10. Robbiem

Robbiem Active Member

I wonder if Disney has a say over the architecture for the new hotel. I remember reading as part of the agreement for the swan & dolphin Michael Eisner chose the design

11. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

Westin and Sheraton as part of SPG really are the same thing these days. They frequently create complexes with a few of their different brands occupying the same space. It's simply to offer perceived options and each have brand standards to maintain to be flagged under each (bed lines and linens, shampoo products, Sheraton's always offer a club lounge, etc.). The lines are increasingly blurred these days as each brand have adapted things from the other (Westin bed standards have impacted over to Sheraton sweet sleeper beds). They both fall into the same price range and categorization as well, so I can see how it's not easy to really separate out the two.*

That said I think the Disney contract would be the loosest of them all in terms of requirements to be flagged as each brand thus it is probably not all that apparent.

The Dolphin redesign to me looks very in line with the Westin branding however.

If I had to guess though I would actually expect the third hotel to fall under the SPG flagship. If it is boutique I might even say a Luxury Collection property. If they are really going all in a St. Regis.

*In the US it's a bit easier to tell the difference, Westin runs higher end. Internationally, including Canada, Sheratons are consistently higher quality and equivalent to Westin.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    MinnieM123 and MisterPenguin like this.
  12. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

Really ? Bus driver talk?...... gee thanks!

13. themonkeyisthesultan

themonkeyisthesultan Well-Known Member

They should name the new hotel the Porpoise.

disneylandcm likes this.
  14. the.dreamfinder

the.dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Probably. My real concern is who will be designing this hotel and will it complement the Swolphin. The Swan and Dolphin were designed by postmodernist architect Michael Graves who sadly passed away a couple of years ago. When the first rumblings about a third hotel came up last January, I asked @marni1971 if his firm, still based in Princeton NJ, was involved with this project, he said no.

MarkTwain and teruterubouzu like this.
  15. disneylandcm

disneylandcm Member

The Albatross.

SteveAZee, creathir and TeriofTerror like this.
  16. Gatorboy

Gatorboy Premium Member

Hippo

creathir likes this.
  17. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

pelican is slick....nice.