New Hotel to Join Swan & Dolphin

Creathir

IIRC there is a clause in the original Tishman swolphin contract for a third hotel that has to open before x date to be valid.
Interesting.

So I guess we need to start guessing which animal they use to theme it.

Panda maybe? Pretty sure they are not going to use an alligator...

I always associated the Dolphin and Swan with Fantasia for some reason, so maybe they go with a centaur or a bear...

MattyBear

I'm sorry man. I'm making a mess of things. I usually use the forums on my laptop and I'm using my phone today.

Part of our party will be staying at that resort at the end of September. Would love to see some pictures of the lobby and other construction.
Thank you

WDWFANSINCE81

Considering Swan is a Westin and Dolphin is a Sheraton, I can only hope the new one would be a W. I'll put money on The Pelican as the name...a boutique Miami Beach style resort...would fit in with The Swan and Dolphin quite well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Same vein, yes. Not necessarily Marriott, unless you are referring to the corporate brand as opposed to the hotel brand.

Yeah, I was referring to Marriott the corporate overlord and not Marriott the hotel brand.

The Westin and Sheraton branding of the Swolphin has become vanishing small online over the past few years. Do you know if the two resorts are really being operated by two different subsidiaries, or, is the brand distinction only one in name?

Robbiem

I wonder if Disney has a say over the architecture for the new hotel. I remember reading as part of the agreement for the swan & dolphin Michael Eisner chose the design

BrianLo

Yeah, I was referring to Marriott the corporate overlord and not Marriott the hotel brand.

The Westin and Sheraton branding of the Swolphin has become vanishing small online over the past few years. Do you know if the two resorts are really being operated by two different subsidiaries, or, is the brand distinction only one in name?

Westin and Sheraton as part of SPG really are the same thing these days. They frequently create complexes with a few of their different brands occupying the same space. It's simply to offer perceived options and each have brand standards to maintain to be flagged under each (bed lines and linens, shampoo products, Sheraton's always offer a club lounge, etc.). The lines are increasingly blurred these days as each brand have adapted things from the other (Westin bed standards have impacted over to Sheraton sweet sleeper beds). They both fall into the same price range and categorization as well, so I can see how it's not easy to really separate out the two.*

That said I think the Disney contract would be the loosest of them all in terms of requirements to be flagged as each brand thus it is probably not all that apparent.

The Dolphin redesign to me looks very in line with the Westin branding however.

If I had to guess though I would actually expect the third hotel to fall under the SPG flagship. If it is boutique I might even say a Luxury Collection property. If they are really going all in a St. Regis.

*In the US it's a bit easier to tell the difference, Westin runs higher end. Internationally, including Canada, Sheratons are consistently higher quality and equivalent to Westin.

Last edited:

Driver

There is construction going on outside but it looks to be more in the farther parking lot than the tennis court area that's why I'm doubtful what we are seeing is for the hotel. The source seems reputable and wasn't being secretive at all I just think he's off a little. I think they are also building convention space between the Dolphin and Yacht Club. I don t know if construction has started on that but what I'm seeing seems like it would be more that than a hotel. I've also seen similar construction when Gartner comes to town and practically builds their own exhibit hall in the lower lot. Who knows?? I'm trying to get more info but this could all just be bus driver talk.
Really ? Bus driver talk?...... gee thanks!

the.dreamfinder

I wonder if Disney has a say over the architecture for the new hotel. I remember reading as part of the agreement for the swan & dolphin Michael Eisner chose the design
Probably. My real concern is who will be designing this hotel and will it complement the Swolphin. The Swan and Dolphin were designed by postmodernist architect Michael Graves who sadly passed away a couple of years ago. When the first rumblings about a third hotel came up last January, I asked @marni1971 if his firm, still based in Princeton NJ, was involved with this project, he said no.

Gatorboy

Interesting.

So I guess we need to start guessing which animal they use to theme it.

Panda maybe? Pretty sure they are not going to use an alligator...

I always associated the Dolphin and Swan with Fantasia for some reason, so maybe they go with a centaur or a bear...
Hippo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom