News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

PiratesMansion

Yeah I was more commenting on the state of the discussion than anything else! I actually think they could make this look nice with a little effort. But they're track record is not good, especially when they've taken trees out of other areas.
I thought the concept art looked fine? But others are talking about this project as if it's proof positive that Disneyland suddenly hates all trees and is plotting a mass extermination of every tree that ever dared to be remotely near the Haunted Mansion.

And it just seems a little extra to me.

mickEblu

I know, I know, you hate everything they are doing with this project. So it doesn't matter what I say you've made up your mind its going to be bad.

Back from the park now. What you were insinuating in your first post was that I can’t or shouldn’t lament the loss of the atmosphere of one of my favorite places in the park. To answer your question, I’m not sure it was expected but it was what I predicted based on the language they’ve been using. I don’t think Disney ever came out and said they were going to be removing any old trees.

Today was about the shock of actually seeing them Chopped down after months of speculation.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Back from the park now. That’s not why I responded with a facepalm emoji. I’ve decided that’s what’s going to be my go to when you send me what I think is a pointless post. What you were insinuating was that I can’t or shouldn’t lament the loss of the atmosphere of one of my favorite places in the park. To answer your question, I’m not sure it was expected but it was what I predicted based on the language they’ve been using. I don’t think Disney ever came out and said they were going to be removing any old trees.

Not sure why you’d assume I’m even thinking about what it will look like in the future at this moment in time. Today was about the shock of actually seeing them Chopped down after months of speculation. However, I know you are a bright guy and know all of this but for whatever reason get pleasure out of making me type this all out. I think it’s because you get a kick out of starting debates where there are none.
You can lament about whatever you want. I know you're a big "park" within the park lover.

My post was commenting on how it came across that it seemed that you were somehow surprised this was occurring. As if this was new and wasn't already discussed for many pages in this thread and assumed to be happening. Disney never confirms much about their projects beyond what they release. But we all know by now what project construction will likely do to an area, such as trees being moved or cut down. Heck how many pages where it was discussed about the trees being lost around the banks of RoA prior to, during, and after its alteration.

Anyways, I like discussing things with you so why wouldn't I want you to post more than an emoji. I honestly didn't know you were in the park today, for all I knew you pulled those photos off some other site.

VicariousCorpse

Cast members apparently nicknamed it "the bullpen".

It was a totally improvised solution to the massive crowds months after the Mansion's opening. It was never meant to be everlasting.
Not improvised, the blueprints for the project were dated May of 1970. Construction on the queue did not start until at least 1972.

The original purpose of this area was to be the one of the dual walk-through version's 3 exits. You would "Find a way out" through 3 doorways that lead up from crypts and vaults into a small walled off graveyard. When it became a ride, they knocked out some walls and built the old family plot that went straight through it. Then it was revised to switchbacks. Only 1 original exit was kept which became the chicken exit.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah I was more commenting on the state of the discussion than anything else! I actually think they could make this look nice with a little effort. But they're track record is not good, especially when they've taken trees out of other areas.
Expanded roads, expanded walkways, expanded queues, expanded seating areas… it’s all resulted in the loss of trees, flower beds, and greenery in general.

They’ve done a good job for the most part but it feels like more and more of the park is becoming hardscaped every year.

mickEblu

Expanded roads, expanded walkways, expanded queues, expanded seating areas… it’s all resulted in the loss of trees, flower beds, and greenery in general.

They’ve done a good job for the most part but it feels like more and more of the park is becoming hardscaped every year.

Exactly. Loss of Park. Steadily over the last few years we’ve been losing more planters, real grass and now a few historic trees. That’s what I’m lamenting. Others (name rhymes with Shmirates Shmanshion) are getting worked up about a guys words on the internet that wasn’t even talking to them. But I guess we should be happy that WDW would have cut down more.

Last edited:

VJ

We don't even really know what the finished area with trees will look like, but there sure are a lot of people who are convincing themselves that they're going to bulldoze every tree so as to better work themselves up into a lather, because heaven knows there's not enough to talk about here without people also having something to be mad about at any given time.
just like the pearl clutching about "WALT'S RIVER!!!!" then it turned out to be a change pretty much everyone liked and then we all promptly moved onto the next thing to complain about

RescueTheDay

Very curious as to what areas you’re speaking about. Specific to DLR.

PiratesMansion

And this is a valid concern, for sure. But I stand by what I've said that I feel like for the most part they've done a good job trying to meet in the middle-add more space and address crowd flow issues, while also trying to preserve the atmosphere the best they can.

It also begs the question: what else were they supposed to do if they didn't take the current approach? The queue situation and handicapped unloading situation were undeniable issues.
Exactly. Loss of Park. Steadily over the last few years we’ve been losing more planters, real grass and now a few historic trees. That’s what I’m lamenting. Others (name rhymes with Shmirates Shmanshion) are getting worked up about a guys words on the internet that wasn’t even talking to them. But I guess we should be happy that WDW would have cut down more.
You can say my name, it's just easier that way! :) And I promise I'm not worked up, I just find it amusing that none of this is new information, but people are only just now acting like they've just heard for the first time what the scope of this project would be.

I'm just trying to provide some context with the WDW comparisons. DL & DLR are far from perfect, that is true, but things could be a lot worse (i.e. taking a more WDW-like approach to landscaping), and that's something that is seldom understood or considered when people proclaim that the sky is falling with each change. Perhaps it's not helpful without context, or not helpful because some people on this forum (not necessarily you) just don't want to hear it and only want confirmation that yes, this is the worst thing ever and all of their concerns are 100% valid, and that they have already predicted with 100% accuracy what will happen, but I inherently compare things. That's how I see the world, and that invariably colors how I see DLR-as one theme park complex in the context of six global resorts. Some people on here, in my view, have been to Disneyland so many times that all they can see are the flaws or the blemishes, and are unable to see or appreciate how much of the place still works, and how the powers that be can still get it right. Not every time, but much more than the most consistent doom and gloomers give them credit for. Hopefully that provides some sense of clarity of what my perspective is and why I comment as I do.
just like the pearl clutching about "WALT'S RIVER!!!!" then it turned out to be a change pretty much everyone liked and then we all promptly moved onto the next thing to complain about
That's a great example, although it has been claimed on here by a few since then that the old river was better and Disney shouldn't have messed with it (and it was longer, and was more of a true wilderness feeling, etc).

I also think of Project Stardust, which there was a lot of complaints about initially, both as it was happening and as the changes rolled out. Since then, the complaints have mysteriously vanished. It's magic!

Last edited:

mickEblu

And this is a valid concern, for sure. But I stand by what I've said that I feel like for the most part they've done a good job trying to meet in the middle-add more space and address crowd flow issues, while also trying to preserve the atmosphere the best they can.

It also begs the question: what else were they supposed to do if they didn't take the current approach? The queue situation and handicapped unloading situation were undeniable issues.

You can say my name, it's just easier that way! :) And I promise I'm not worked up, I just find it amusing that none of this is new information, but people are only just now acting like they've just heard for the first time what the scope of this project would be.

I'm just trying to provide some context with the WDW comparisons. DL & DLR are far from perfect, that is true, but things could be a lot worse (i.e. taking a more WDW-like approach to landscaping), and that's something that is seldom understood or considered when people proclaim that the sky is falling with each change. Perhaps it's not helpful without context, or not helpful because some people on this forum (not necessarily you) just don't want to hear it and only want confirmation that yes, this is the worst thing ever and all of their concerns are 100% valid, and that they have already predicted with 100% accuracy what will happen, but I inherently compare things. That's how I see the world, and that invariably colors how I see DLR-as one theme park complex in the context of six global resorts. Some people on here, in my view, have been to Disneyland so many times that all they can see are the flaws or the blemishes, and are unable to see or appreciate how much of the place still works, and how the powers that be can still get it right. Not every time, but much more than the most consistent doom and gloomers give them credit for. Hopefully that provides some sense of clarity of what my perspective is and why I comment as I do.

That's a great example, although it has been claimed on here by a few since then that the old river was better and Disney shouldn't have messed with it (and it was longer, and was more of a true wilderness feeling, etc).

I also think of Project Stardust, which there was a lot of complaints about initially, both as it was happening and as the changes rolled out. Since then, the complaints have mysteriously vanished. It's magic!

I’m not quite sure why you and Irish feel that way. I haven’t really made any commentary on what the project will end up looking like. I’m saddened by the loss of some beautiful historic trees and the loss of atmosphere in what used to be my favorite place at the park to sit, relax and people watch. I’m saddened that Disneyland keeps losing more planters, trees and real grass. I understand the need from an operations standpoint for some of it. I understand the need for the reworked queue but I don’t think Magnolia Park needed to be altered to this degree for the reworked queue alone. As I’ve said I think they could have kept it mostly in tact if they had the desire to and still accomplish their objectives. I think they view that as dead space at a park where land is at a premium and thought they could kill two birds with one stone and and add some tables there. At the very least they could have tried to design the space around the trees.

Disney never came out and said they were removing any trees although I did come to that prediction from the verbiage they did use. Still sad to see it happening. In my very first day back to the park nonetheless! Many people thought the trees were sticking around. Perhaps I’m a bit sensitive as they removed my favorite ride from Disneyland, my favorite ride from DCA and now my favorite place to sit and relax. I have receipts too. Many posts touching on my affinity for the rides/ places listed above before any announcement of their Demise was ever made.

The ROA is a good example actually of why things aren’t so black and white. Most people would agree that the new ROA looks nice. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t stuff we miss about the old ROA. The feeling of remoteness on that stretch while riding the Twain being the biggest one. Or just how the trees blocked the Mickey n Friends parking from structure from view. Or the lower level of Hungry Bear being right on the water.

Last edited:

Consumer

The ROA is a good example actually of why things aren’t so black and white. Most people would I agree that the new ROA looks nice. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t stuff we miss about the old ROA. The feeling of remoteness on that stretch while riding the Twain being the biggest one. Or just how the trees blocked the Mickey n Friends parking from structure from view. Or the lower level of Hungry Bear being right on the water.
Completely agree. The new waterfalls are wonderful, but so was the dense forest that once existed in that back stretch. Thankfully, in 25 years, I imagine that riverbend will once again be lush with tall trees, even if it isn't quite as remote as it once was.

Although this fountain area wasn't a personal favorite, it was a great example of classic Disneyland when things were simpler and more pleasant. I still find myself missing the Court of Angels, which to me was the pinnacle of Disneyland's intimate spots.

PiratesMansion

I’m not quite sure why you and Irish feel that way. I haven’t really made any commentary on what the project will end up looking like. I’m saddened by the loss of some beautiful historic trees and the loss of atmosphere in what used to be my favorite place at the park to sit, relax and people watch. I’m saddened that Disneyland keeps losing more planters, trees and real grass. I understand the need from an operations standpoint for some of it. I understand the need for the reworked queue but I don’t think Magnolia Park needed to be altered to this degree for the reworked queue alone. As I’ve said I think they could have kept it mostly in tact if they had the desire to and still accomplish their objectives. I think they view that as dead space at a park where land is at a premium and thought they could kill two birds with one stone and and add some tables there. At the very least they could have tried to design the space around the trees.

Disney never came out and said they were removing any trees although I did come to that prediction from the verbiage they did use. Still sad to see it happening. In my very first day back to the park nonetheless! Many people thought the trees were sticking around. Perhaps I’m a bit sensitive as they removed my favorite ride from Disneyland, my favorite ride from DCA and now my favorite place to sit and relax. I have receipts too. Many posts touching on my affinity for the rides/ places listed above before any announcement of their Demise was ever made.

The ROA is a good example actually of why things aren’t so black and white. Most people would agree that the new ROA looks nice. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t stuff we miss about the old ROA. The feeling of remoteness on that stretch while riding the Twain being the biggest one. Or just how the trees blocked the Mickey n Friends parking from structure from view. Or the lower level of Hungry Bear being right on the water.
I think that's all valid. And it's possible I'm misremembering the concept art or just interpreted it differently from other people, because it did not look as invasive to me as others are describing it. You also have seen the area in person and I haven't, though it's fair to note, I hope, that it probably looks quite far from the finished product at the moment.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll be the first to admit if I was wrong and they botched the area around my favorite ride.

People being sad about the switchback queue going, though? I will stand by the fact that I find the idea that it was an important or nice part of the queue, or something we should be sad is gone, to be a bit ridiculous, and that the good parts of that area are easily replaceable.

mickEblu

I think that's all valid. And it's possible I'm misremembering the concept art or just interpreted it differently from other people, because it did not look as invasive to me as others are describing it. You also have seen the area in person and I haven't, though it's fair to note, I hope, that it probably looks quite far from the finished product at the moment.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll be the first to admit if I was wrong and they botched the area around my favorite ride.

People being sad about the switchback queue going, though? I will stand by the fact that I find the idea that it was an important or nice part of the queue, or something we should be sad is gone, to be a bit ridiculous, and that the good parts of that area are easily replaceable.

I’m not sure what to make of the concept art anymore. At one point we thought we matched up most of the trees. That looks like it was false now.

Yeah can’t say I feel sad about the switchbacks. Haha.

mickEblu

Completely agree. The new waterfalls are wonderful, but so was the dense forest that once existed in that back stretch. Thankfully, in 25 years, I imagine that riverbend will once again be lush with tall trees, even if it isn't quite as remote as it once was.

Although this fountain area wasn't a personal favorite, it was a great example of classic Disneyland when things were simpler and more pleasant. I still find myself missing the Court of Angels, which to me was the pinnacle of Disneyland's intimate spots.

If it wasn’t for the capacity that came with GE and the ability to nearly circumnavigate the park Id wave a magic wand if I could and bring back Big Thunder BBQ, Ranch, the old ROA and Hungry Bear being on the water. Doesn’t mean I think GE and the changes came with it are terrible. Just means I preferred those other things. They felt more Disneyland to me. I didn’t step inside GE yesterday. That happens fairly often. There’s a lot of stuff to do at Disneyland, GE is a little off the beaten path and doesn’t offer much for the a family with kids under 38 inches.

Consumer

If it wasn’t for the capacity that came with GE and the ability to nearly circumnavigate the park Id wave a magic wand if I could and bring back Big Thunder BBQ, Ranch the old ROA and Hungry Bear being on the water. Doesn’t mean I think GE and the changes came with it out terrible. Just means I preferred those other things. They felt more Disneyland to me. I didn’t step inside GE yesterday. That happens fairly often. There’s a lot of stuff to do at Disneyland, GE is a little off the beaten path and doesn’t offer much for the a family with kids under 38 inches.
GE isn’t bad, but it’s a lot of underutilized land which makes me dislike it. I would much rather have an intertwined Western River Expedition and Mine Train in that space.

Touchdown

I didn’t visit DL until 2013, since then I’ve visited dozens of times at all times of year. I can’t remember a single day the HM line didn’t take over part of that park. The queue needed to be lengthened, period. This is a necessary change. Now if they could only find a way to lengthen PotCs line…

mickEblu

I didn’t visit DL until 2013, since then I’ve visited dozens of times at all times of year. I can’t remember a single day the HM line didn’t take over part of that park. The queue needed to be lengthened, period. This is a necessary change. Now if they could only find a way to lengthen PotCs line…

I’ve been a MK/ AP holder off and on (mostly on) for over 10 years and in my experience that usually only happened during the HMH overlay. If that was happening when I was at the park I wouldn’t have consistently chose to sit in that area and eat my beignets. Not the vibe I’m going for. With that said I’m also a seasoned vet with a knack for picking good days to go to the park.

Touchdown

I’ve been a MK/ AP holder off and on (mostly on) for over 10 years and in my experience that usually only happened during the HMH overlay. If that was happening when I was at the park I wouldn’t have consistently chose to sit in that area and eat my beignets. Not the vibe I’m going for. With that said I’m also a seasoned vet with a knack for picking good days to go to the park.
Even on Feb weekdays, midday, there was always a switchback or two in Magnolia Park.

mickEblu

Even on Feb weekdays, midday, there was always a switchback or two in Magnolia Park.

Do you mean when it would sometimes spill over into that 1/5 of Magnolia park closest to the Mansion? That was really no big deal and hardly changed the atmosphere of the area. I thought you were talking about the worst of days when guests would be circling the fountain etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom