News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Wrong on all counts
Really? It's cheaper (you don't have to pay people to mow it, water it, weed it), it doesn't impact your experience (you stand near it for maybe 5 minutes, how does that impact your experience), it doesn't impact your immersion (if your definition of immersion is "grass slightly too green to be real" you're doing it wrong), it reduces costs as already explained and it is better for the environment. How is any of that wrong? The only thing that's even debatable is it impacting your immersion

PiratesMansion

Really? It's cheaper (you don't have to pay people to mow it, water it, weed it), it doesn't impact your experience (you stand near it for maybe 5 minutes, how does that impact your experience), it doesn't impact your immersion (if your definition of immersion is "grass slightly too green to be real" you're doing it wrong), it reduces costs as already explained and it is better for the environment. How is any of that wrong? The only thing that's even debatable is it impacting your immersion
Do keep in mind that this forum is the land of "well it rained REAL HARD the last two years, so California's drought is now magically gone and fixed forever, and here are some very scientific looking charts that I, a non-scientist, have picked out that OBVIOUSLY prove this and how MONSTROUSLY cheap and lacking in show standards those current lazy DL execs can be..." 🧐

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Do keep in mind that this forum is the land of "well it rained REAL HARD the last two years, so California's drought is now magically gone and fixed forever, and here are some very scientific looking charts that I, a non-scientist, have picked out that OBVIOUSLY prove this and how MONSTROUSLY cheap and lacking in show standards those current lazy DL execs can be..." 🧐
Sounds about right

Vegas Disney Fan

They also replaced what was a big grass lawn with a flower planter (the old fountain) and other landscaping, it could be argued it’s far more interesting now than it was before. Of all the things Disney has downgraded in the last 5 years this wouldn’t make my top 1,000 list.

IMG_0427.jpeg
IMG_0426.jpeg

DarkMetroid567

They also replaced what was a big grass lawn with a flower planter (the old fountain) and other landscaping, it could be argued it’s far more interesting now than it was before. Of all the things Disney has downgraded in the last 5 years this wouldn’t make my top 1,000 list.

View attachment 817746View attachment 817747
Thank you for posting this because I spent the entire time reading this thread thinking “uhhhh, what grass?” and felt like an idiot.

mickEblu

Yes because running WOC but not watering a tiny patch of grass makes sense as does filling all your stores with plastic toys but forcing us to drink out of soggy paper straws.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Guests will notice when they think to themselves, "This looks like a mini-golf hole. Hmmm, maybe I should've just taken the family mini-golfing today. Would've been a whole lot cheaper."
Hmm, well its been this way for 2 years so any that did think that probably went mini-golfing and never returned and the rest never noticed in the first place and certainly won't now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Changing materials is often considered a design change, even if it’s supposed to match an established look.
Well that change happened 2 years ago, its just a continuation of that change, plus adding additional themed elements. So if it did need approval, they got it, 2 years ago.

dlr74

View attachment 817746View attachment 817747
Definitely an upgrade.

Next they will be defending this for the sake of nostalgia:
IMG_7049.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don’t be so sure that what goes back there is better. The berm with all the Ivy, trees and headstones I always thought made for some great and organic feeling placemaking. Looks like some huge wall is going up there now.
I'm not sure what wall you're talking about. Any wall that you see now that you think is replacing the berm is probably part of the ADA elevator. After that the berm appears to be still there and should be visible from the back queue, and I would expect all the headstones going back and visible as well.

dlr74

Don’t be so sure that what goes back there is better. The berm with all the Ivy, trees and headstones I always thought made for some great and organic feeling placemaking. Looks like some huge wall is going up there now.
and don't be so sure it won't be better. We haven't seen the finished product yet.

We've seen the old one, and it's also just a huge wall. 😉

mickEblu

and don't be so sure it won't be better. We haven't seen the finished product yet.

We've seen the old one, and it's also just a huge wall. 😉

Perhaps but most people seem to think it’s a slam dunk that area will be better. I’m saying hold your horses. Might be a lateral thing. Less switchbacky but also less organic feeling.

PiratesMansion

Yes because running WOC but not watering a tiny patch of grass makes sense as does filling all your stores with plastic toys but forcing us to drink out of soggy paper straws.
And obviously they have to make choices in how to respond to environmental situations. Such situations will almost necessarily be imperfect and will result in compromises.

Do you think most guests would rather have real grass they can't even walk on, sit on, relax on, or utilize in any way, or World of Color?

Last edited:

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
The difference there is WOC is where the water that's already there is being recycled, it's not using any additional water. Compare that to where water is soaking into the ground, not recyclable or reusable because it's in the dirt. Filling stores with plastic toys and paper straws doesn't have to do with water conservation in a drought-ridden state so that example is pointless. Also, reusable straws are cheap, easy to carry, and allowed in the parks, so you're not forced to drink from soggy paper straws. That's your choice not to do the quick, easy, and cheap solution.

jmuboy

The difference there is WOC is where the water that's already there is being recycled, it's not using any additional water. Compare that to where water is soaking into the ground, not recyclable or reusable because it's in the dirt. Filling stores with plastic toys and paper straws doesn't have to do with water conservation in a drought-ridden state so that example is pointless. Also, reusable straws are cheap, easy to carry, and allowed in the parks, so you're not forced to drink from soggy paper straws. That's your choice not to do the quick, easy, and cheap solution.
Stop with this logical talk!
No one wants to hear your fact based discussion! 😂😂😂

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Stop with this logical talk!
No one wants to hear your fact based discussion! 😂😂😂
Yeah I know talking to WDWMagic users really feels like this
Explaining Come On GIF

How is it that I (a sophomore in high school) know more about management and why they make the choices they do than a 42-year-old who's been on the forums since I was 5? It just doesn't make sense!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom