News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

TP2000

And yes, this will cost a lot of money. Likely at least ten million, perhaps upwards of 25 or 50 million dollars if they need to build and install an entirely new Omnimover system for the entire ride (which they probably should after 55 years).

But let's also remember that Disney just set ablaze $160 Million in cash on the losses they accrued from the massive box office flop that was the Haunted Mansion movie. :eek:If Disney can afford to lose $160 Million on a Haunted Mansion movie (their fourth money losing movie of the summer), then they can certainly afford to spend $25 Million to upgrade and improve the actual Haunted Mansion ride that is far more popular than their movies.

The Loading area would need to be redone into a new loading area showroom scene for this. Maybe something like a vaulted ceiling reception room (Downtown Abbey springs to mind). It would make more sense than just that blank, dusty black wall with green lights, and would provide them a place for more storytelling and show scenes. A win-win.

04-1.jpg

Plus, they should probably also do something with the walls that lead from the Unload area back to the wheelchair turntable in the Loading area. In 1969 they never imagined so many people per day would be riding the full route of the Omnimover because they were in a wheelchair. Nothing fancy on the loop back to the Loading area, just some classic wallpaper and maybe a hat rack or spooky pictures on the wall with some music, or else the able bodied people will want to see it too.

Just don't make the people in wheelchairs feel like they are getting a second-class show of blank walls because they happen to be disabled.

It's long past time to realize that Nixon is no longer in the White House and that many people in the 21st century go to Disneyland in wheelchairs. Fix this old ride and get it ready for the 21st century, like they should have done 20 years ago already. But better late than never, TDA.

After.jpg

Last edited:

FerretAfros

No it’s my fault I didn’t share my detailed map but what I mean is
View attachment 740902
Just like how irl that bottom green area is completely different from blueprints, that top red area irl also does not match any blueprint online. After some sleuthing I’ve come to a window that this whole area changed at probably somewhere between 2002 -2008 .

My map is missing a whole area around the X spot because no one ever goes all the way down the hall to look around that little corner where the “emergency exit” is

Ps neat behind the scenes of those busts!
I seem to recall the area outside the windows was reduced during the same refurbishment that revised the changing portraits from slowly transitioning between multiple images in increasing states of 'decay' to synching up with the lightning flashes outside the windows across the hall. At the time, nobody seemed to know why the scene space was reduced, but it makes sense that it was done to provide an accessible emergency exit. Presumably the exit path was the driver for the change, and WDI was able to add the portraits in to the project as an upgrade for guests.

I can't find definitive proof, but based on some second-hand sources (the original fan websites from that era appear to have archived their older content or are gone entirely) it seems that this was done either in 2005 or 2006. From what I remember it was part of the usual post-holiday refurbishment, when these sorts of tweaks are often made.

If Darkbeer were still around, I suspect he may know, or at least have the photo archive to figure it out, but it appears he's deactivated his account here.

ParkPeeker

I seem to recall the area outside the windows was reduced during the same refurbishment that revised the changing portraits from slowly transitioning between multiple images in increasing states of 'decay' to synching up with the lightning flashes outside the windows across the hall. At the time, nobody seemed to know why the scene space was reduced, but it makes sense that it was done to provide an accessible emergency exit. Presumably the exit path was the driver for the change, and WDI was able to add the portraits in to the project as an upgrade for guests.

I can't find definitive proof, but based on some second-hand sources (the original fan websites from that era appear to have archived their older content or are gone entirely) it seems that this was done either in 2005 or 2006. From what I remember it was part of the usual post-holiday refurbishment, when these sorts of tweaks are often made.

If Darkbeer were still around, I suspect he may know, or at least have the photo archive to figure it out, but it appears he's deactivated his account here.
Wow thanks for replying, this is very interesting to me! It would be great to have a confirmation and/or more photos to figure out when. And yea it sucks that some older content is deleted, I came across a 3d modeler whose content has either been deleted or privated across all of his different platforms, his blog,YouTube, flickr, etc his content is just gone except for a 3d model of the switchback queue that’s been saved and shared on another blog.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I seem to recall the area outside the windows was reduced during the same refurbishment that revised the changing portraits from slowly transitioning between multiple images in increasing states of 'decay' to synching up with the lightning flashes outside the windows across the hall.
I am also fairly certain this was in 2005.

MichRX7

Premium Member
I tried to skim 12 pages, but could not see if anyone had mentioned if HM will stay open during the refurbishment? Thinking of taking our oldest child (who is the only one of 4 not to visit Disneyland yet) and our grandkids for spring break last week of March/1st week of April and it would be disheartening if it was closed. I mean, it happens, my oldest son missed Matterhorn on our last visit because it was closed.

PiratesMansion

I tried to skim 12 pages, but could not see if anyone had mentioned if HM will stay open during the refurbishment? Thinking of taking our oldest child (who is the only one of 4 not to visit Disneyland yet) and our grandkids for spring break last week of March/1st week of April and it would be disheartening if it was closed. I mean, it happens, my oldest son missed Matterhorn on our last visit because it was closed.
I would assume the ride will stay closed until everything is finished.

VicariousCorpse

I keep coming back to the concept art and blueprints and trying to make sense of it all. This is my speculation on the layout.
oie_rTDfuVWK7037.png

The green is the greenhouse in the concept art. The orange is a side path that already exists. I think it will connect the greenhouse to the already existing chicken exit crypt as it fits perfectly.
pa.png

In the concept art for the greenhouse you can actually see its angling up from the crypt towards the exit.
kfkf.png

My best guess for the elevator is at the end of the hallway in blue just before the load area.

Attachments

• oie_rTDfuVWK7037.png
    oie_rTDfuVWK7037.png
    1 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:

DrAlice

After watching David & Brickey's videos, I think (as @mickEblu said earlier) the brick wall with the fountain in the garden is the same as the brick wall in the bandstand area image. David points out the two people sitting on the bricks with a selfie stick in that image. If you look carefully, there is a fountain behind them. I think both fountains are at the same place on opposite sides of the wall. After watching Brickey's video, my sad guess is that these fountains are in the position of the current fountain in Magnolia park.

If I'm correct, then my biggest concern is what happens to crowd flow going from the main walkway to the train station. If they literally cut Magnolia park in half at the fountain, flip the bandstand around and add tables, include a semi-permanent popcorn cart toward the train station, how in heck will there be room to navigate through here to the train station and bathroom?! The concept art makes the area look more spacious than it actually is.

See @mickEblu 's post for images:
No I think they re eating a little bit into Magnolia Park on the Mansion side only but perhaps a little bit more than 6-8 feet like I said yesterday. Not sure how much. Maybe something like 12 -15 feet? I don’t remember the old FP machine area being very wide

I’m still confused on how you think Micechat could be right? Haha. There are tables all over Magnolia Park in the concept art. How could that be part of the extended Haunted Mansion queue? Am I missing something? I’m really trying to understand what you’re saying. The gazebo looks like it’s replacing the fountain.

On another note it looks like both of the area circled in yellow in the pics below are the same wall…

View attachment 739986

View attachment 739987

Perhaps you already knew this but that first piece of concept art (the extended queue) had me really disoriented yesterday.

mickEblu

After watching David & Brickey's videos, I think (as @mickEblu said earlier) the brick wall with the fountain in the garden is the same as the brick wall in the bandstand area image. David points out the two people sitting on the bricks with a selfie stick in that image. If you look carefully, there is a fountain behind them. I think both fountains are at the same place on opposite sides of the wall. After watching Brickey's video, my sad guess is that these fountains are in the position of the current fountain in Magnolia park.

If I'm correct, then my biggest concern is what happens to crowd flow going from the main walkway to the train station. If they literally cut Magnolia park in half at the fountain, flip the bandstand around and add tables, include a semi-permanent popcorn cart toward the train station, how in heck will there be room to navigate through here to the train station and bathroom?! The concept art makes the area look more spacious than it actually is.

I don’t think the fountain in the concept art is in the same location as the current fountain in Magnolia Park. Not sure how far along you are in catching up on this thread but I believe we were able to identify some of the trees to the right of the current fountain still present in the concept art.

Disney Analyst

I think it's close to that area, but not quite as far in.

Then with the planters reduced to just surrounding the trees, they should be able to free up enough space to have walking room, plus some scattered tables and chairs.

I mean, right now it's a mess with the extended queue anyway, so how do they make it work when Magnolia Park is full of queuing guests?

Disney Analyst

Rumour I’ve heard floating about:

No Haunted Mansion next year. Due to construction timeline, the mansion will be closed, I had heard until at least July, and it doesn’t make sense for them to remove the overlay, to install shortly after again.

Even though I’d prefer they just skip the overlay for the year then…

Now with confirmation that Halloween Time starts August 23rd next year, could this rumour be materializing?

Could they keep the mansion closed until August 23rd?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

No Haunted Mansion next year. Due to construction timeline, the mansion will be closed, I had heard until at least July, and it doesn’t make sense for them to remove the overlay, to install shortly after again.

Now with confirmation that Halloween Time starts August 23rd next year, could this rumour be materializing?

Didn't they reopen HM back in 2021 for like 2 months only for it to be closed again for HMH overlay? So yeah I don't think they have any issues reopening for a short period of time just to have it close again for the overlay. But if they did keep it shutdown to go right into HMH it would make sense from a cost savings perspective.

VJ

by "floating about" do you mean on this site, in the WDW board's hatbox ghost thread? 😅

AJFireman

I am pretty sure its not the same people doing construction that are removing the overlay so they could remove the overlay at its normal time in January ready for when it reopens. It would not be done within a couple of months of each other.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Jim Hill has been suggesting this for a couple months. If true, what a bummer! With both Mansion and Splash out of commission, that stretch along the ROA will be lifeless.

mickEblu

Now with confirmation that Halloween Time starts August 23rd next year, could this rumour be O

Or they just do the right thing and start HMH in November this year. I know, not happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom