New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Bairstow

I wonder if they've gotten more cautious after they got egg on their face from the debacle that is Fast and Furious and the major negative reaction it's gotten, especially on social media...

-Rob
I'm guessing it's just a matter of timing the announcement to either coincide with family budgeting time for 2019 vacations (which would be before Christmas shopping starts in earnest(?)) or to better counter the upcoming Disney ad blitzes for Star Wars, Runaway Railroad, and/or Guardians, depending when exactly the Potterblitz is expected to come online. I think Universal is wary not of the Potter ride not being well-received when it opens, but of hype for its release getting overshadowed by Disney OR potential guests deferring their visits in the next 3 quarters to wait for it to open.

raven

Disney has been releasing complete i for on their new attractions two full years before they even open. I can see their attempt to try and hype future guests but this also tends to make the construction feel like it takes even longer. Universal prefers to wait until closer of the actual opening season before they hype it. They have absolutely no issues in getting guests to visit the Harry Potter sections of their parks. The moment park gates open each morning, guests make a beeline to these areas and they are jammed until the park closes.

DisneyDodo

Disney has been releasing complete i for on their new attractions two full years before they even open. I can see their attempt to try and hype future guests but this also tends to make the construction feel like it takes even longer. Universal prefers to wait until closer of the actual opening season before they hype it. They have absolutely no issues in getting guests to visit the Harry Potter sections of their parks. The moment park gates open each morning, guests make a beeline to these areas and they are jammed until the park closes.
I'm sure Universal also doesn't want guests holding off on visiting the parks until the new attractions open

OG Runner

I'm sure Universal also doesn't want guests holding off on visiting the parks until the new attractions open

Yeah, that is a good idea. Why advertise at all? Let us just hope, eventually, that people figure out they are making some
changes worth coming to see. I'm sure that is going to stop people from coming to the parks in the meantime. Honestly,
from a straight business standpoint, do you know how wrong these opinions sound?

Disneyhead'71

Yeah, that is a good idea. Why advertise at all? Let us just hope, eventually, that people figure out they are making some
changes worth coming to see. I'm sure that is going to stop people from coming to the parks in the meantime. Honestly,
from a straight business standpoint, do you know how wrong these opinions sound?
Universal had a bad 2009 because a lot of people postponed their vacation until Potter opened in 2010. Ever since then they haven't started the PR push for new attractions until they are in the window that people are booking vacations for the period when it opens. So for the Potter Coaster, I would expect marketing to crank up after the Holidays this year. Until then we will get HHN and Holiday marketing. After the first of the year it will be Mardi Gras and Potter.

Disney is feeling this effect now with SW:GE. And it will be even worse next Summer.

And as far as, "Why advertise at all?" Universal has found that advertising something already open or about to open is productive. Advertising something that opens next year makes people wait until next year.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Universal had a bad 2009 because a lot of people postponed their vacation until Potter opened in 2010. Ever since then they haven't started the PR push for new attractions until they are in the window that people are booking vacations for the period when it opens. Disney is feeling this effect now with SW:GE. And it will be even worse next Summer.

And as far as, "Why advertise at all?" Universal has found that advertising something already open or about to open is productive. Advertising something that opens next year makes people wait until next year.

Yeah, I could tell Disney was suffering this affect, but the length of the lines when Toy Story Land opened.

Disneyhead'71

Yeah, I could tell Disney was suffering this affect, but the length of the lines when Toy Story Land opened.
They also dropped the blackout days for lower level passes until June 30th. Invented a pass add on for Silver Pass holders that for $89 you could remove all the Summer blackout days except for DHS. And dumped a bunch of hotel rooms on Priceline.

Regardless of how long the line was for the new kiddie coaster, it is a soft Summer for WDW.

Disneyhead'71

How did you determine that? Disney always does Summer specials.
Disney dropping blackout dates is a good sign as to where their occupancy load is. Last Summer they dropped the blackout dates on July 27th. Not in June, and throughout the Summer for $89. And last Summer was soft.

This is not to say that attendance is down overall. It is mostly the success of surge pricing in summer and the popularity of the Fall and Holiday festivals/parties and Marathon Weekends.

Summer, for the past 2 years, has been down but Feb. is insanely crowded. They have just been too successful at encouraging folks to visit at other times of the year than Summer.

BrianLo

Universal had a bad 2009 because a lot of people postponed their vacation until Potter opened in 2010. Ever since then they haven't started the PR push for new attractions until they are in the window that people are booking vacations for the period when it opens. So for the Potter Coaster, I would expect marketing to crank up after the Holidays this year. Until then we will get HHN and Holiday marketing. After the first of the year it will be Mardi Gras and Potter.

Disney is feeling this effect now with SW:GE. And it will be even worse next Summer.

I think both companies have something to be learned, and there is a much happier middle ground. However the middle ground is further away from Universal.

Universal has been in the model of annual attractions, if you have something big every year, you don't need to worry about people postponing. Unfortunately they remain hyper focused on an experience in 2009, when they were a completely different resort and company. If the flow is steady, the guests will be steady and your marketing can be steady.

However, there are also different forms of marketing, the actual global marketing push and the marketing to your fans push. Disney overdoes both. But Disney is infinitely better at the second even if they milk their fans aggressively. Universal severely underplays to their fanbase to the point of near discontent. They don't need to announce on Good Morning America their 2023 projects, but they could certainly let fans know something will actually happen in 2020/21. Let alone more than two words about 2019. Somewhere there is a compromise.

Universal has a very bright slate, but they almost don't seem to want anyone to be aware of it and that is starting to affect perception. Disney has barely even opened anything yet... but they've been strutting around on the back of their future and that has instead sowed confidence (?overconfidence) into their consumer.

My personal perception is that they don't actually seem to be able to make decisions recently. They are overanalyzing and getting cold fit with everything they do.

lazyboy97o

I don't think it's a bad business move not to announce attractions years from being completed. I know the fanbase likes to know ahead of time and the fan base is pretty good at knowing what is coming up attraction wise.

The problem I have with Universal right now is the new property and what to do with it. Seems like everything has seized up attraction wise because Universal can't figure out what is going where. The two original parks need more attractions. Some new gate that is going to be five years out at least should not slow down new attractions in the older parks. A bunch of new hotel rooms have come online with many many more coming. New water park. I assume attendance should increase and Universal has dead areas in their parks. Not like they have all the room in the world to build. The dead areas should be addressed. The original parks should be filled all the way up with working attractions. Attractions are closing but I'm not hearing any of the insider crowd saying anything about what is replacing these attractions?

Universal has been adding attractions for years now so a once a year visitor is seeing something new everytime they come to Universal and Universal should keep that going till they run out of room.
How is at least three new attractions between 2019 and 2020 slowing down from one new attraction per year?

OG Runner

How is at least three new attractions between 2019 and 2020 slowing down from one new attraction per year?

Consider me uninformed, not challenging, what are the three new attractions. I know about the Potter coaster, that has me jazzed.
What other attractions have been announced?

JoeCamel

Cool. Thank you! I had actually heard about Jurassic Park, (had forgotten), but had not heard about the new stunt show.
They may have a surprise or two up their sleeves, that is how Universal rolls. Nobody knew what was happening when they started building the fountain show, it just sprang up out of no where and took no time to build

OG Runner

They may have a surprise or two up their sleeves, that is how Universal rolls. Nobody knew what was happening when they started building the fountain show, it just sprang up out of no where and took no time to build

As long as the surprise is not another Fast & Furious. Sorry, too soon? :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom