1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Coaster Lover, Jul 24, 2017.

1. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

That honestly wouldn't be impressive. People are just used to watching Disney setting new records for how slow they can be. Entire parks can, and have been built in a two year time span.

brb1006 and UpAllNight like this.
  2. AndyMagic

AndyMagic Well-Known Member

Very interesting. What about SLoP? Is that being fast-tracked as well in light of Iron Legion being stuck?

3. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

I know they're decent over at IU but until these things are announced they're still rumour in my eyes. SLoP has allegedly been on the cards for years now and still no sign. I agree that we're in exciting times but I'd like to see more in terms of actual announcements from Universal...Volcano Bay was due to have an expansion announced "possibly within the next 3 weeks" according to the CEO when it opened...and still nothing. Nintendo has been announced for Japan, we know it's coming to Orlando...but details are none existent so far.

I'm guessing a lot is in the air at the moment, and they're revising plans partially down to D23 but maybe also their own surveys which are hopefully reflecting the mess the Studios park is in, or the lukewarm (within the community anyway) receptions to Hulk and Kong.

All I know is 2018 is going to turn some tides in perception with F&F...I'm already at that point, I expect this to be the catalyst that turns many others. Maybe delays are down to revisions to account for the bad direction over the past 3 or 4 years.

4. JustInTime

JustInTime Well-Known Member

Where are the putting ministry of magic???

5. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

It is replacing Fear Factor Live.

6. JustInTime

Awesome. Thanks!

7. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

Shocked people are not commenting how much better the Hogwarts area is looking as the coaster tracks disappear. Uni has an amazing opportunity to create something as immersive as SWL.

This is no time for Uni to go cheap.

8. c-one

c-one Well-Known Member

What's the Ministry of Magic ride rumored to be like? My kingdom for a relatively chill dark ride.

9. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Could be and the replacement for DC (subject of this thread) may be more of the same.

10. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

DC was pretty much hidden after they built the Potter stuff. If I didn't know it was there I might not even notice it. Finding the entrance wasn't easy. I had to look for it.

Seems to be a good amount of land there and I'm sure the whole area will be improved by getting rid of a left over ride. What exactly will be there I don't know but if nothing else theming will be better. The pixie dust bunch is always complaining about that. From the Jurassic area you will still be able to see snow on roofs but the rest of the land will come together.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  11. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

You're right, when Dragon Challenge ceases to exist, it will be equally as immersive as SWL. For a while anyway. :D

On a more serious note, I didn't think the track being there made much of a difference, at least once you were past the Hogwarts Express entrance and inside the original confines of the land. They should've added more trees around the station, but it wasn't one of the more consequential sight line issues I've seen.

Universal couldn't go cheap with Potter even if they wanted to, so I'm not sure why you're worried about that. They have more than just guests to impress.

12. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

I'm not one that believes that exposed coaster track is ugly, but it has to be implemented right. Manta at SeaWorld Orlando, for example, is integrated into the park beautifully. Hulk looks aesthetically pleasing over the lagoon. Dragon Challenge, on the other hand, was not an aesthetically pleasing coaster. While it didn't interrupt the immersion of Hogsemeade too badly, anywhere inside the exterior queue was a view of a massive entanglement of steal over a gross, murky retention pond with weeds all around it. Riding it and looking around also completely killed any possible immersion as you could look down and see that Hogsmeade Station is just a box or ample views of ugly backstage and the surrounding non-Universal property area.

brb1006, jt04, JoeCamel and 2 others like this.
  13. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Getting off the HE and having DC in your face was a real fail. I understand why but it will be great to not have a coaster in the potterworld.

brb1006 and jt04 like this.
  14. egg

egg Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

It'll be a step in the right direction though.

15. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Are you referring to Hippogriff or the Dr. Phillips High School stadium lights?

HauntedMansionFLA and egg like this.
  16. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dragon Challenge won't exist, just like SWL currently doesn't. Hence they'll offer the same amount of immersion.

If anyone thinks our Hogsmeade is worth nitpicking, go have a look at the other two and then get back to me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. c-one

c-one Well-Known Member

Screamscape claims the castle queue building will stick around. You know you've built a good queue when it lasts for three different attractions. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a castle structure that existed in the Forbidden Forest in the books/movies and can't think of one though? Maybe that too is nitpicking.

JustInTime likes this.
  18. imperius

imperius Well-Known Member

There is none, but screamscape is right about 1% of the time.

19. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

well there is the shrieking shack outside hogsmeade

20. JustInTime

They could make it kind of like the bridge that leads to the forest. That’s about it.