1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Coaster Lover, Jul 24, 2017.

1. c-one

c-one Well-Known Member

100 percent agree. The thing I hate about inverts is that if you're not in the front row, you can't see a damn thing, which is extra important on a dueling one! I always liked the blue side as far as it goes, but it belongs in a Busch park. Universal has come so far in offering real themed storytelling experiences.

2. AndrewsJ

AndrewsJ Well-Known Member

I should say the best B&M I've ever ridden! I will definitely take your word for it because I know you'd never steer me wrong! I have never been to King's Island but now I must! Longest B&M ever built?! 4124 feet?! Wow how did I not know about this??

21stamps and PorterRedkey like this.
  3. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

4. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

It may be the longest but it's not the best. I actually found it to be quite painful. I enjoyed Alpengeist and Montu far more. Heck, even Top Gun(Flight Deck or whatever it's called now) in Carowinds was also more fun.

David2319 and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  5. Disneyhead'71

I think Top Gun, even though small, has a perfect layout. I'm not a big fan of cobra rolls on an inverted coaster. I always preferred the butterfly roll better. The cobra roll is such a head knocker.

cheezbat likes this.
  6. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Situational swearer Premium Member

Just adressing a small part of your post. In no way were children not interested in SW. Had you ever been to a SWW ? And the Jedi training academy started in 2007 and even before the new film came out was always well attended and tricky to get into. Starwars has bridged the generations extremely well.

andysol likes this.
  7. TheDad

TheDad Well-Known Member

You are right, but you are not going far enough back... I'm talking between post episode 3 and episode 4.
    I have a young cousin in his twenties now and I'm telling you that his generation didn't get the Starwars attention that I got as a kid and what is happening now. The 90's were not kind to Star Wars imo.
    talking post episode three to

8. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

If he's in his 20s, your cousin would have been a child when the prequels came out, as well as the theatrical re-release of the original trilogy only a few years earlier. As a 30-year-old, I remember the toy stores of the 90's being stockpiled with Star Wars items even before any of that. Its pop culture relevance never dwindled as much as you think. In fact, the hype reached a fever pitch prior to the release of Phantom Menace, much more so than for Force Awakens or anything else they've done recently. It was only tempered by negative reaction after the fact. Even after the prequels, they've ran several animated series based on them as well as numerous books. The new films are obviously a boon for the franchise, but they're hardly creating something out of nothing or reviving its golden age. Far from it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    andysol likes this.
  9. TheDad

TheDad Well-Known Member

Star Wars episode 6 came out in 1983 with episode 1 coming out in 1999. To my initial point there was a lull in popularity of star wars between the original series and the Lucas prequels. That was a 16 year gap. Yes, there was excitement for the prequel series but, that excitement came mostly from the people who grew up in the era of the original Star Wars. The quality of that film did nothing to gain a new fan base. Also, episode 2 & 3 were not children flicks. Yes the toy stores were stock piled with toys. I also remember it being news that the toys were not moving as anticipated. I don't remember anyone requesting Anakin or Jar Jar Binks toys and I had a large family of kids at that time.
    I would even argue that the prequels did more to harm its popularity than help it.

I'm not saying that Starwars was irrelevant. That would be assinine. I'm just saying it was not big with kids between the mid 80's- and episode1. It's popularity did not grow either with episode 2 & 3 and if Disney did not put renewed energy into the IP it is likely over time the IP would become less relevant to newer generations.
    Disney without a doubt renewed a lot energy back in the I.P. with quality programming, toys, and movies geared towards a new generation.

Back to my initial point. IP's need to be continually refreshed with quality behind it, and marketed throughout the years to continue their popularity with new generations. That was my only point, not that Starwars was dead on the vine.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. TheDad

TheDad Well-Known Member

Andy great info. Interesting...
    I may have picked the wrong IP. You are correct as merely it was an observation by myself. An incorrect one but an observation.
    When episode 6 came out in 83 it was all the rage but in that 16 year period between episode 6 and 1 it just felt like no one was into it...perhaps it was me... I was hitting puberty and more interested in other things at that point. I was a bit distracted! Lol!

andysol likes this.
  11. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

As someone who is exactly the demo being debated (87 baby), Star Wars didn't lose complete relevance. Mostly it was beloved and shared by parents during those intervening years. I had a few friends who were obsessed with it.

That said, I partially agree that Star Wars did not define my generational age group in the same sense that it did those who were kids and teens in the late 70's/early 80's. Or those born in the latter 90's to ride the prequel wave. There was an obvious lull in the films and that allowed a few other properties to capture the imagination.

We very much were the Disney Renaissance in our childhood, followed by Potter in our pre-teen years (87 is the extreme end of Potter, I find those who were in high school when the books first hit stride missed the the boat). I know it's anecdotal, but I cannot for the life of me find any friends born in 84/85 who like Potter. Potter book fans have their heaviest hitting demo between ~87-97. Of course the movies started hitting before the books let up meaning the Potter fanbase extends well beyond that, but we were the generation who first and foremost discovered it via the books.

Likewise, Nintendo dominated the generation dipping bit more into the early 80's for Mario. Pokemon's line in the sand falls later, the first craze swept when I was still in grade 6. Those 84/85 babies again would have been in high school.

There is a reason these properties are all collectively coming out of the woodwork, early millennials now have some buying power.

Princess Leia, JoeCamel and djlaosc like this.
  12. Figment82

Figment82 Well-Known Member

1984 baby here, and I absolutely adore the Harry Potter series. I got into the books right around the release of Chamber of Secrets, before the super craze hit. I love the books far more than the movies (which is partly why I put off going to see the Universal areas for so long). All my friends in high school were really into the books as well.

Just wanted to let you know that we're out there, even if we're the minority!

Princess Leia and BrianLo like this.
  13. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

I've always thought Rowling was just a "meh" writer. But I really like all the ancillary stuff - the movies and the park attractions. Those things bring the Potter world to life better than their source-creator ever did IMO.

Derrit likes this.
  14. Disneyhead'71

Rowling is an awesome "Storyteller" but not a great "author".

That's why it's so easy to read.

15. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

She constructs plots well, enough to keep you plodding on through all of the misfiring humor and trite depictions of magic, I'll admit.

But I think the real reason Harry defeated Voldemort in the last battle is because he monologued the guy to death. :D

Corey P and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  16. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been brought up, but should Universal really be retiring one (or 2) of it's biggie roller coasters, when Islands is known for thrill rides? If anything, I think they should be building more coasters. And not in the Mine Train vein.

17. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

While I'm sure there are people who appreciate the park's heavy leaning towards thrill rides, it also gets heavily stigmatized for it, with many in the Disney crowd even comparing it to a Six Flags. And that's with only three large coasters, mind you. What you're suggesting would only make that worse. I'm not sure removing thrill rides for the sake of something tamer is the optimal solution, but they needed to add some tamer rides if they want to appeal to the folks whom the park doesn't already appeal to. I don't believe that's why Dragons is closing, but they're going to take the opportunity and run with it.

Universal are also putting themselves in danger of competing for a more niche audience if they focus on large coasters, because that appears to be all SeaWorld knows how to build. Eventually the thrill seekers will all go there regardless of what Universal does... assuming they can stay in business.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Jon81uk likes this.
  18. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Something to consider is that currently, whenever it storms (so, you know, half of summer), more than half the attractions at IOA have to close, as opposed to Studios, where Rockit is the only major attraction that closes. I feel like this probably influenced the decision to both remove Dragons and not replace it with another outdoor coaster.

Corey P, Bairstow and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  19. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

Really? I feel like it's very smooth.
    Let me know anytime you visit.. I'll meet you at KI. I love that ride!
    I agree 100%. I'm against thrill rides at Disney.. but I want them at IoA. That's always been the "big kid" park to me.

20. Bairstow

Bairstow Well-Known Member

The situation at Islands is/was worse than the Studios, since in addition to the three coasters, the majority of the other "big" rides also had a heavy thrill component (flume, raft, dual space shot, another flume...).
    Not that there aren't attractions for younger kids at Islands, all of Seuss is for kids and Camp Jurassic is possibly the best kids' play area in the world, but other than two comparatively lame effect/stunt shows there was almost nothing at Islands for older guests that wasn't heavily thrill-based. It never bothered me personally, since I'm a huge fan of thrill rides and coasters in particular, but I know people with neck conditions and various fears that have visited Islands to see the Potter stuff and not been able to enjoy much there besides the Castle Tour, Spiderman and Cat in the Hat. I guess they have Kong there too, but it's basically a haunted house.

That said, I'm selfish enough to really want this new Dragon replacement to be thrill-based anyway.
    Indoor Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster, please.

JoeCamel likes this.