New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Corey P

Isn't this a little bit of Potter overkill? I'd love it at a 3rd park and i'm sure it would/will be breathtaking, but just seems like Potter is getting a lot of attention for a story that has already been told (Deathly Hallows pt 2. came out in 2011 and closed off that portion of the universe which all of the current HP rides are based).
I was thinking more Potter was over kill in the present parks but I have changed my mind. Potter is very popular and DD going for a new Potter ride will fit right in that space. DD just wasn't very popular, last time the kids and I rode it 4 times in a day. There was no wait to get on, the only wait was for the front row seats. FF? That place can go and Potter would fit nicely in there. In my mind it's basically nothing to something. For the Potter fans it's a huge thing. I see a bunch of Potter robes. wands and all that in the parks. It's a large percentage of people who are there for Potter I think. Can't prove it but over all numbers point to that being true.

Still more room for new attractions and some tear downs of old ones, no need to to send it all to a new park. I'm not waiting 10 years for a new park, that time frame does me no good.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Potter is evergreen. Its aesthetic is essentially just standard Gothic combined with basic European folklore and creatures. Like Indiana Jones the viability of the Potter theme persists independently of knowledge of the books and films because much of the look is archetypal, if not historical. As long as they don't lean too heavily on specific characters or events from the films, themed areas based on the look and concept of the Potter films can be relevant and popular indefinitely.

Last edited:

Corey P

Are there more Potter attractions planned beside this coaster? Never been to Universal but the Potter stuff looks fun.
It is and Universal is ramping up the Potter stuff in general. I'm not that big of a potter fan but I'm surprised by how many people are walking around in full robes. LOL. Also it seems at least some of the stuff sold is Universal park specific, in other words you can't just order it on line.

I'm looking forward to Nintendo but I'm afraid it will take a decade to ramp that up. First a small land and see how it does then another attraction etc. etc. What's been happening with Potter and Potter is starting to become big. I'm fine with that. Wasn't sure if Potter over load was coming but so far so good.

Darkbeer1

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201801/5889/

>>That track placement would support the chatter that the new Harry Potter coaster will be North America's first Mack Rides Inverted Powered Coaster, the same model as the Arthur coaster at Europa Park and Dragon Gliders at Motiongate Dubai.
I have not been yet on either of those coasters (the Dreamworks Animation indoor land where the "How to Train Your Dragon"-themed Dragon Gliders is located was not open when I visited Motiongate, and I haven't been to Europa Park yet), but both provide an excellent platform for a more narrative-driven experience than your typical roller coaster ride. <<

Bairstow

>>That track placement would support the chatter that the new Harry Potter coaster will be North America's first Mack Rides Inverted Powered Coaster, the same model as the Arthur coaster at Europa Park and Dragon Gliders at Motiongate Dubai.
I have not been yet on either of those coasters (the Dreamworks Animation indoor land where the "How to Train Your Dragon"-themed Dragon Gliders is located was not open when I visited Motiongate, and I haven't been to Europa Park yet), but both provide an excellent platform for a more narrative-driven experience than your typical roller coaster ride. <<
Wow. That How to Train your Dragon ride looks kind of great.
Shame they can't just port that wholesale and plop it down in the Poseidon's Fury building and build a "Berk" mini-land.

bhg469

This is what I want in the states. This, to me is so much more exciting than any trackless dark ride. It doesn't even have to be that trilling, I just feel like this technology can deliver a much more fun ride.

imperius

It is and Universal is ramping up the Potter stuff in general. I'm not that big of a potter fan but I'm surprised by how many people are walking around in full robes. LOL. Also it seems at least some of the stuff sold is Universal park specific, in other words you can't just order it on line.

I'm looking forward to Nintendo but I'm afraid it will take a decade to ramp that up. First a small land and see how it does then another attraction etc. etc. What's been happening with Potter and Potter is starting to become big. I'm fine with that. Wasn't sure if Potter over load was coming but so far so good.
Wouldn’t call SNW with two E tickets and a C a small land. Also will be way less than a decade.

Corey P

Wouldn’t call SNW with two E tickets and a C a small land. Also will be way less than a decade.
After the first build there will be more I bet, Nintendo has a lot to offer in characters etc. Potter is going on 10 years by the time the replacement for Dueling Dragons is open. Rumors about FF becoming a Potter attraction as well. Same thing will happen to Nintendo.

imperius

After the first build there will be more I bet, Nintendo has a lot to offer in characters etc. Potter is going on 10 years by the time the replacement for Dueling Dragons is open. Rumors about FF becoming a Potter attraction as well. Same thing will happen to Nintendo.
Of course, but SNW itself will be large and have top tier rides. It will just take a little for the expansions just as it did for Diagon.

Top Bottom