New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Tom Morrow

Sorry, but like the ride name states, this is an Adventure. Off hand there will be the ride stopping and then going backwards. The Devil's Snare, drop track. Yeah, this isn't going to be a straight nature ride.
No I’m fine with running into snags, I wasn't expecting a gentle Sunday cruise. I just don’t want there to be a secret mission or ulterior motive to the cruise or whatever. An attack by Voldemort would be ridiculous and shows a serious lack of restraint and a lack of faith in the source material and world they created to stand on its own. Lack of restraint being Uni Creative's biggest pitfall in terms of attraction storytelling.

lazyboy97o

I'm curious what coasters operate in the manner you describe, where standard operation doesn't stop the train every time. (My knowledge of non-US coasters isn't as broad as my US coasters)

-Rob
Hollywood Rip Ride Rock It. The only way you get multiple trains on a track is to have a brake between the trains. Lifts and launches can function as brakes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The same technology has been implemented for a few other coasters around the world as well. This LSM’s can stop the train as it heads backwards if the switch fails. But I also believe the switch will happen behind the train as it’s sitting still for a possible show scene before it launches forward.

Problem with LSM brakes is they require power... in a power failure what happens?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually, LIMs need power to work, but LSM are always magnetized because they are natural magnets and would stop the train rather suddenly in the event of a power failure.

But magnetic brakes won't hold a train - they are used only for slowing as they require movement to generate the opposing fields. I don't know if an idle LSM 'motor' portion works well enough as a magnetic brake when idle.. but still seems like they'd have to have some physical brake. Just speculating..

Rob562

Hollywood Rip Ride Rock It. The only way you get multiple trains on a track is to have a brake between the trains. Lifts and launches can function as brakes.

I'm well aware of how block brakes work. That wasn't what I was asking.

My question was specifically that @raven implied there exist coasters where standard operating procedure is that a train is moving in the vicinity of a switch while the switch is in motion, and the brakes are only used if, and only if, the switch isn't in place yet.

Because that's what some are saying will/could happen with Hagrid: that the train will roll through the switch while going forward, and while it's going up the spike and back down, the switch will move positions allowing for free movement of the train backwards through the switch without the train ever coming to a stop.

As I have never heard of such a setup on a coaster (and cannot even imagine a coaster manufacturer designing such a setup) I was asking for an example of a coaster that does that, or something similar.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

I’m guessing the track switch will be completed before you launch up the spike. It could be done afterward but that means coming to a hard stop if the switch isn’t ready yet vs just holding for longer before the launch.

Rob562

I’m guessing the track switch will be completed before you launch up the spike. It could be done afterward but that means coming to a hard stop if the switch isn’t ready yet vs just holding for longer before the launch.

My other thought is that the train may go through the switch, up the spike, stall, fall back and come to a full stop with that trusty "Arresto Momentum" as part of the storyline. Then a launch backwards after the switch has moved.

-Rob

BrianLo

I am disappointed the spike is not enclosed. It's one of those 90% of the way there type things. Even just a partially hollow tree trunk would do.

I'm still presuming this will be one of favourite Universal ride this decade, but I was hoping they'd go all the way for once.

OG Runner

The enclosed spike was never part of the plan, it's just rumor mongers trying to save face.

Watching a few YouTube videos, my impression, from concept art, was that the spike would be enclosed.
I suppose is could have been a cost cutting measure, but wonder how much would really be saved by not
enclosing it. You are looking at a ride that will be written off, (accounting-wise), over a good number of years.

raven

Watching a few YouTube videos, my impression, from concept art, was that the spike would be enclosed.
I suppose is could have been a cost cutting measure, but wonder how much would really be saved by not
enclosing it. You are looking at a ride that will be written off, (accounting-wise), over a good number of years.
The show scene directly before the spike is outdoors. So it kind of makes sense not to enclose it. Also, the vehicles are only on the spike for a few seconds anyway. And being able to see a ride vehicle in that section of track from a distance could be a diliberate “weenie” anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom