New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Jon81uk

Also given there isn't a Six Flags park in Florida and Disney won't build big coasters, it helps SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Universal stand out from Disney by offering more thrill seeking options. Islands of Adventure opened as a park with a lot of coasters and currently by replacing Duelling Dragons (a lightly themed thrilling coaster) with the new Harry Potter coaster (a heavily themed slightly thrilling coaster) they are moving Islands of Adventure away from the "Six Flags" style coasters it opened with.

Disneyhead'71

Also given there isn't a Six Flags park in Florida and Disney won't build big coasters, it helps SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Universal stand out from Disney by offering more thrill seeking options. Islands of Adventure opened as a park with a lot of coasters and currently by replacing Duelling Dragons (a lightly themed thrilling coaster) with the new Harry Potter coaster (a heavily themed slightly thrilling coaster) they are moving Islands of Adventure away from the "Six Flags" style coasters it opened with.
Actually, the JP coaster will most likely be less themed than the Potter coaster. But the theming logic is "Jurassic Park" is a theme park and theme parks have roller coasters.

OG Runner

Actually, the JP coaster will most likely be less themed than the Potter coaster. But the theming logic is "Jurassic Park" is a theme park and theme parks have roller coasters.

It is funny, I have seen all of the "Jurassic Park" movies and I don't think they ever mentioned this "logic".
I think Universal should be more of a mind, if they are adding coasters, to add better themed coasters.
Otherwise, it does move more toward a Six Flags type of park. In my opinion they are much better than that
and should prove it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Can we please stop the back and forth of Disney vs. Uni? Its a tired arguement. I love both equally and my wife and I travel to both usually once a year. They both offer incredible experiences and I am REALLY excited about this new coaster.

Dragon Challenge wasn't my cup of tea but this looks like its going to have a solid mix of thrills and theming to match the current Potter rides. Can't wait!

GLaDOS

It is funny, I have seen all of the "Jurassic Park" movies and I don't think they ever mentioned this "logic".
I think Universal should be more of a mind, if they are adding coasters, to add better themed coasters.
Otherwise, it does move more toward a Six Flags type of park. In my opinion they are much better than that
and should prove it.

IoA has had "unthemed" coasters since Day 1. Every Universal park in the world except for Hollywood has them. There's nothing wrong with having a few in the park. People like them, they're fun, and they're an easy addition when the park is strapped for space.

matt9112

Terminator 2: 3D is being replaced by a Jason Bourne stunt show. Permits and work have also started for the new Jurassic Park coaster.

i have seen these rumors and the markings etc from mideay mayhem so i have two maybe dumb questions....do the flyers habe to go or is coaster going to snake around them? and do we have wny rough ride system idea?

matt9112

6-12 months.

Rumor is it's another launched Intamin...with loops. Maybe Universal got a BOGO.

bleh intamin and ve
If you love coasters go to Six Flags.

It's clear Universal are cost cutting when the raft of new attractions are either 1) screen based, and 2) a coaster.

its 2018.....what the heck else is there? coasters and screens are all thats getting built down the street too.

matt9112

I guess everything is relative, but I always considered the Dragons to be highly-themed by coaster standards, in both their incarnations. The only truly "unthemed" coaster Universal has had down there is Rip Ride.

it flys througg that facade....technically theming?

GLaDOS

i have seen these rumors and the markings etc from mideay mayhem so i have two maybe dumb questions....do the flyers habe to go or is coaster going to snake around them? and do we have wny rough ride system idea?

It's going to go over the water, won't affect the flyers.

JT3000

and should prove it.

Guess you never read the book.

Tom Morrow

Normally I don't have an issue with unthemed exposed coaster track. However, Rockit, like Dragons, is an ugly coaster. It throws off the forced perspective of the New York facades, it's in dire need of a paint job and a new banner, and it contributes to the trashy look of the entire front of USF. It also has an excessively loud lift motor so the entire front area of the park hears a constant motor noise. Oh and the playlist hasn't been updated since it opened in 2009, even though that would be the easiest thing to do. I would not mind if Rockit was removed for a better coaster.

Dragons was not a themed coaster, only the queue was themed. The coaster itself was a tangled mess of steel over a mucky pond and no landscaping. Compare this to Montu, which actually dives into themed trenches and tunnels.

Hulk, Manta, Kraken, and Mako, everything at Busch Gardens, and even Slinky are all examples of how to do an "unthemed" coaster that is still aesthetically pleasing and doesn't detract from the area it's in.

Last edited:

raven

Normally I don't have an issue with unthemed exposed coaster track. However, Rockit, like Dragons, is an ugly coaster. It throws off the forced perspective of the New York facades, it's in dire need of a paint job and a new banner, and it contributes to the trashy look of the entire front of USF. It also has an excessively loud lift motor so the entire front area of the park hears a constant motor noise. Oh and the playlist hasn't been updated since it opened in 2009, even though that would be the easiest thing to do. I would not mind if Rockit was removed for a better coaster.

Dragons was not a themed coaster, only the queue was themed. The coaster itself was a tangled mess of steel over a mucky pond and no landscaping. Compare this to Montu, which actually dives into themed trenches and tunnels.

Hulk, Manta, Kraken, and Mako, everything at Busch Gardens, and even Slinky are all examples of how to do an "unthemed" coaster that is still aesthetically pleasing and doesn't detract from the area it's in.
While on Montu you can really only see the theaming if you ride in the front row. The rest of the seats on the coaster block all views of pretty much everything. That’s why Dragons didn’t matter to me or Raptor or other inverted coasters. And to be honest, most people don’t ride Rocket for its theming.

21stamps

No, Universal needs more coasters.
Several more.
I want an indoor Gerstlauer Infinity for starters, some sort of RMC, hopefully a T-Rex, and maybe a par of Chance Morgan Hyper GT-Xes, just for balance.

RMC’s brilliance is what they do with existing wooden coasters. What do you want them to do at Universal?

21stamps

Anything, really. Alan Schilke is an artist.
It would be especially fitting if the long-rumored Jurassic Park coaster ends up being the first build of his long-expected "T-Rex" wide-gauge unirail.

I don’t think we’ll see a single rider attraction.. maybe though.
Personally, I’m hoping that a Cedar Fair Midwest park gets the first T-Rex. ;)

Disneyhead'71

I don’t think we’ll see a single rider attraction.. maybe though.
Personally, I’m hoping that a Cedar Fair Midwest park gets the first T-Rex. ;)
That's the thing, though- the Rex is twice as wide as Raptor/Railblazer. Last concept art I saw for a Rex-based ride showed 2 abreast, 6 riders per car, 4 cars per train for a total of 24 riders.
Yeah, the T Rex is 2 abreast. The Raptor is single file.

While the JP coaster won't be one. I would love a launched raptor rail in JP themed to...raptors. With duel load stations they could be in the same capacity range as Mummy.

Bairstow

Yeah, the T Rex is 2 abreast. The Raptor is single file.

While the JP coaster won't be one. I would love a launched raptor rail in JP themed to...raptors. With duel load stations they could be in the same capacity range as Mummy.
Racing Raptors?

After Lighting Rod, I don't know how excited the industry would be to pair up RMC with a launch anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom