News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's on their Twitter linking to the original article they posted. As usual, no credit to Dan or even WDWMagic.

I spoke to him when that article was originally posted and he was willing to put my name on it, but since it was a group effort we settled on "Our thanks to the group of Disney World fans who pieced together this information!". It's not much but it's something.

nickys

Premium Member
I spoke to him when that article was originally posted and he was willing to put my name on it, but since it was a group effort we settled on "Our thanks to the group of Disney World fans who pieced together this information!". It's not much but it's something.

Well it's better than nothing, I guess ;)

Without having seen the actual wording, it seems they're still effectively claiming it as their success - so I'm glad some have put them right at least in the comments.

But I still say you are too modest, @danlb_2000. :)

nickys

Premium Member
Anyone see the news Sunday about the ski lift in France breaking down?

I hope Reedy Creek has a fleet of helicopters standing by...

Not necessary. If ours break down mid flight, the proximity to the sun will kill them before those helicopters could even arrive. ;)

Only if the A/C breaks down at the same time :p

No, no. Disney if far more forward thinking than using helicopters. Instead each cabin will come equipped with an escape hatch with rope ladder.

And for those too afraid to climb down there will be an emergency handle to detach the cabin and plunge to the ground / water. The air vents will cool the cabin as it falls.

trainplane3

Oh good. I'm glad he was willing to work with you on the credit situation! I hate not seeing people credited for their works.

Incomudro

Anyone see the news Sunday about the ski lift in France breaking down?

I hope Reedy Creek has a fleet of helicopters standing by...

In all fairness, although the WDW gondola system will be the same as used in many ski locations, it's implementation and use will be quite different.
It'll be much closer to the ground, and obviously it does not travel across remote and inaccessible locations.

matt9112

If WDW was going to make gondolas a full park-wide transportation system, then I would expect the central hub to be something spectacular, like Grand Central Station or the old Penn Station. But even with a grand architectural central hub, all the other stations in NYC are rather basic with a bare minimum of decoration. The CBR hub looks a bit impressive. I wouldn't expect each terminus to be grand. But, that's my opinion.

please dont compare a public transit system to something that is used by people paying over 100 dollars a day to use. and to be clear most guests likely spend far more when you include the room rates. so sorry if I don't want WDW to be like a NYC subway station.

matt9112

The truth really is hard for people to understand these days isn't it? It will be fun to ride and it is "in reality" just another mode of public transportation. A fun method of getting people from point A to point B. Why must everyone insist on making it an attraction. It is not one, but, it will be different and for many, like myself, a fun thing to ride on. At least much more fun then a bus... but, lets make it into a story.

you consider transportation at a privately owned and operated complex public transit? no public transit is what happens when you give the government trains and boats. this is not that.

Creathir

please dont compare a public transit system to something that is used by people paying over 100 dollars a day to use. and to be clear most guests likely spend far more when you include the room rates. so sorry if I don't want WDW to be like a NYC subway station.
Not sure if you’ve been in Grand Central before or not, but I agree with Mister Penguin, that level of detail and decor should be what is expected of Disney for a central hub.

Grand Central is not some smelly run down subway station, it’s one of the most iconic forms of architecture found within any transportation system, a VERY high bar to live up to.

matt9112

Not sure if you’ve been in Grand Central before or not, but I agree with Mister Penguin, that level of detail and decor should be what is expected of Disney for a central hub.

Grand Central is not some smelly run down subway station, it’s one of the most iconic forms of architecture found within any transportation system, a VERY high bar to live up to.

but that's the hubs I wasn't arguing the level of detail but all the regular stops on a subway line in NYC or Boston are bland. very utilitarian. my point was that our standards should be even higher than public transportation that has far greater price and market constraints.

Goofyernmost

you consider transportation at a privately owned and operated complex public transit? no public transit is what happens when you give the government trains and boats. this is not that.
If you are going to define Public Transportation as a put down to the government then you should probably write your own dictionary because you have just created a new definition. Public Transportation refers to the riders not the operator. If you ride on something that is not exclusively for your use and allows people you have never seen before to ride with you.. That is what Public Transportation is whether it is run by the Government or Privately. It is a system the manages to transport as many people, as a group, from location to location. It is not set up based on the whims of an individual, but, primarily for what broadly works in the best interest of meeting the needs of the "general public" be they on public property or private. It's a system not an ideology. It has certain rules that are meant to be good for most people admitting that occasionally a few are inconvenienced.

matt9112

If you are going to define Public Transportation as a put down to the government then you should probably write your own dictionary because you have just created a new definition. Public Transportation refers to the riders not the operator. If you ride on something that is not exclusively for your use and allows people you have never seen before to ride with you.. That is what Public Transportation is whether it is run by the Government or Privately. It is a system the manages to transport as many people, as a group, from location to location. It is not set up based on the whims of an individual, but, primarily for what broadly works in the best interest of meeting the needs of the "general public" be they on public property or private. It's a system not an ideology. It has certain rules that are meant to be good for most people admitting that occasionally a few are inconvenienced.

i think the definition is flawed yes. a ski resort to me also wouldn't be public transportation. you are at a private location with the "generally speaking" sole intent of paying for use of facility's and or accommodations and this ia mode of transport provided as a convenience for again "generally speaking" paying customers. a traditional public transportation again IMHO is one built in such a way that most people have access to and reason for using. Something i dont think fits the definition of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom