News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Brad Bishop

I recall differently. See the Skyway wasn't a very high-capacity attraction and it was also a slow loading attraction. So except for maybe the first half hour or hour from Park opening, it would could easily have a 20, 40 or even 60 minutes wait in line. For argument's sake let's just say it's 10 or 15 minutes plus another 5 minutes to transport from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland or vice versa. Would it take you that long to walk from Space Mountain to It's a small world? Or in the case of Disneyland from the Tomorrowland train station to the Casey jr. Circus train. No it would not. It was almost always faster just to walk. The Skyway , to me, was just an attraction.

That's how I remember it. At least a 45min wait but much more likely 60min+ to where we'd normally just skip it.

The other thing: It killed the "magic". If you were riding the Skyway you saw that everything is just a bunch of warehouses with faux fronts. I remember being 7 or 8yo and seeing that and kind of being let down by it.

Brad Bishop

Funny you picked the photo showing the park basically at opening... back before Disney had even mastered their techniques.. I mean we can even still see the undeveloped TL power lines and parking lots!

Why not instead show what the attraction came to be... with a wooded fantasyland chalet at one end... passing THROUGH the matterhorn... and a TL station that was integrated with the TL that came to be once it was built out in the 60s?

And yes, the turn station in MK was all practical... and ugly.

One of the neatest things about DL's Tomorrowland is how the rides, forms of transportation, weave around each other. With time it's slowly eroding with the removal of the Skyway and then the Rocket Rods nonsense.

Re: MK turn station: Yeah, it's not the best but, in retrospect, I hardly noticed it as a kid. I think it being painted go-away green plus everything else happening around it really helped.

lazyboy97o

Once again, I invite you to provide me with a clear cut example of what a stock VR101 station looks like. From my research I see that all the stations feature the same look and feel. Set machinery with a plain floor and walls with minimal support columns featuring open windows and depending on the building a different canopy tacked on. This is no different then the new stations which have the same base machinery (which includes the protective housing/canopy for the equipment) and the decorative "architectural" touches Disney is adding as the station structure.
I don’t know if Von Roll offered a stock station building nor is it a point I need to prove because I’m not asserting that the old stations were stock designs nor do I think any shortcomings with the Skyway stations would justify shortcomings with the Skyliner stations. Doppelmayr clearly has two stock station designs and images of the design being used at the parks have already been posted in this thread.

disnyfan89

I don’t know if Von Roll offered a stock station building nor is it a point I need to prove because I’m not asserting that the old stations were stock designs nor do I think any shortcomings with the Skyway stations would justify shortcomings with the Skyliner stations. Doppelmayr clearly has two stock station designs and images of the design being used at the parks have already been posted in this thread.

Well I'm glad we can agree on one thing, and that's that you don't know making your argument irrelevant.

lazyboy97o

Well I'm glad we can agree on one thing, and that's that you don't know making your argument irrelevant.
You, not me, claimed a Skyway station was a stock VR101 design.
Also, for what it's worth, as near as I can tell I would 100% classify this as a stock station with a "Themed Canopy Tacked on".
latest

disnyfan89

You, not me, claimed a Skyway station was a stock VR101 design.

I said "as near as I could tell". I stated an opinion and my best guest based on the research I had done and my personal experiences having ridden several VR101 skyways. I also asked for clarification from you on what a stock station would look like to which you've admitted you have no knowledge of which makes all of this and your argument/request irrelevant.

lazyboy97o

I said "as near as I could tell". I stated an opinion and my best guest based on the research I had done and my personal experiences having ridden several VR101 skyways. I also asked for clarification from you on what a stock station would look like to which you've admitted you have no knowledge of which makes all of this and your argument/request irrelevant.
Once again, yare the one who made the assertion that it is a stock design. You are the one who should be able to validate your opinion. My argument is that you have no evidence to back up your point that the image you posted is a stock design most of all because it does not show any architecture.

disnyfan89

Once again, yare the one who made the assertion that it is a stock design. You are the one who should be able to validate your opinion. My argument is that you have no evidence to back up your point that the image you posted is a stock design most of all because it does not show any architecture.
:rolleyes:

Princess Leia

Okay, there’s no way I’m going to go back and read 300+ pages in here, but this my 2 cents about Disney transportation based on my recent trip.

While the buses were okay, and I had no issues with the monorail, I’m looking forward to the gondolas as a new form of transportation. My friends and I stayed at Pop, which meant we were strictly at the mercy of the buses. Getting to the parks or Disney Springs wasn’t an issue (definitely took the bus to Epcot to ride the monorail on a couple situations though, since the MK buses were late or packed on almost every occasion we needed them). Getting back, however, took a lot of time.

I really think that bus wait times need to be placed at all pick up locations, and not just at the hotels. I saw a lot of frustrated people in line, because waits could be anywhere from 5-20 minutes. I’m in no way defending the way some of these people acted, but additional information, whether on tv screens or on MDE, would be a massive help for the buses.

Getting to and from Animal Kingdom looks like it will still be bus only, but having that extra option at resorts like Pop and Animation will be very welcome.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Because he can't cite a source to counter your made up claim... you're believe your claim has more merit? That's rich...

No Name

The DHS station has been bothering me. The queue area tries to reflect the architectural style of the entrance, but does so poorly. That style involves curves followed by straight and usually perpendicular or parallel sides, but the queue looks like it has ovular supports and funky-shaped roofs. Like they just came off of doing Alien Swirling Saucers. That bothers me, because it has little to do with budget.

Granted, there's been worse.

lazyboy97o

The DHS station has been bothering me. The queue area tries to reflect the architectural style of the entrance, but does so poorly. That style involves curves followed by straight and usually perpendicular or parallel sides, but the queue looks like it has ovular supports and funky-shaped roofs. Like they just came off of doing Alien Swirling Saucers. That bothers me, because it has little to do with budget.

Granted, there's been worse.
It’s a clear example of sort of copying an element but not understanding its context. As a style, Streamline Moderne emphasizes the horizontal and not the vertical. Vertical ornamentation emphasizes a point of significance, usually the entrance, by contrasting with this horizontal composition. The towers of the Pan Pacific Auditorium are amongst the most iconic works of Streamline Moderne but they are part of a larger horizontal entrance design that is itself part of an even more horizontal auditorium.

The Disney’s Hollywood Studios Skyliner station takes design cues from the Pan Pacific Auditorium towers but applies them to the columns of the structure and not a point of significance. Even in vertical structures like towers, Streamline Moderne does not demonstrate the more Modern celebration of the column. The silhouette of a typical Streamline Moderne building is a vertical mass possibly with a contrasting vertical accent to mark significance. The silhouette of the Sklyliner station is nothing like this, instead it is multiple large columns connected by a horizontal.

This is why the bus stops, despite being simpler, are better themed. They follow the style of their context. Most Walt Disney World bus stops are simple post and beam structures with columns at all four corners and additional ones added along the edge inline with the corners. The Disney’s Hollywood Studios bus stops don’t use such a scheme which creates heavy vertical edges that define the composition. Instead they use a cantilever to remove the columns from the edges, reduce their number from four to two and make them as small as possible. The result is a simple shelter in which the horizontal now defines the composition. The stops also don’t feature a vertical ornament because they lack the mass to create contrasting accent and such a marking of significance would confuse the heirarchy of the Park entry.

Bocabear

It’s a clear example of sort of copying an element but not understanding its context. As a style, Streamline Moderne emphasizes the horizontal and not the vertical. Vertical ornamentation emphasizes a point of significance, usually the entrance, by contrasting with this horizontal composition. The towers of the Pan Pacific Auditorium are amongst the most iconic works of Streamline Moderne but they are part of a larger horizontal entrance design that is itself part of an even more horizontal auditorium.

The Disney’s Hollywood Studios Skyliner station takes design cues from the Pan Pacific Auditorium towers but applies them to the columns of the structure and not a point of significance. Even in vertical structures like towers, Streamline Moderne does not demonstrate the more Modern celebration of the column. The silhouette of a typical Streamline Moderne building is a vertical mass possibly with a contrasting vertical accent to mark significance. The silhouette of the Sklyliner station is nothing like this, instead it is multiple large columns connected by a horizontal.

This is why the bus stops, despite being simpler, are better themed. They follow the style of their context. Most Walt Disney World bus stops are simple post and beam structures with columns at all four corners and additional ones added along the edge inline with the corners. The Disney’s Hollywood Studios bus stops don’t use such a scheme which creates heavy vertical edges that define the composition. Instead they use a cantilever to remove the columns from the edges, reduce their number from four to two and make them as small as possible. The result is a simple shelter in which the horizontal now defines the composition. The stops also don’t feature a vertical ornament because they lack the mass to create contrasting accent and such a marking of significance would confuse the heirarchy of the Park entry.
Oy....
But stylistically does it work is the question....lol

disnyfan89

Because he can't cite a source to counter your made up claim... you're believe your claim has more merit? That's rich...

I don't claim any merit which is why I continuously asked for a point of reference and presented the research and examples I could find. As stated, I find the argument to be irrelevant. I stated an opinion, lazyboy countered my opinion but didn't provide any contextual support or clarification of his view point and when I tried to ask for more context and an example he said he didn't know.

Next Big Thing

it's also alright to think some decisions (regarding either) were hot garbage
Agreed.

It's stupid to overreact to them, though. What happens with these things happens, we as fans can't change it. If i'm underwhelmed - whether by a movie or a theme park ride - I'll likely be disappointed for a bit in the immediate aftermath, but throwing hissy fits doesn't change anything.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom