News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

kthomas105

I'm not familiar with gondolas, but can cars be added to the cable at a whim? I know that the capacity of the express beam is 5 trains and it takes 5 minutes to add a train. I'm not seeing what logic you are not understanding.
Yes there are systems where gondola vehicles can be added or removed from a line without stopping or slowing down the rest of the vehicles. It requires a more complicated and expensive system but it does exist. Here is an article that gives some more detail.
Increasing the Capacities of Cable Cars for Use in Public ...

Josh Harris

Is there currently any construction work going on at Art of Animation? If not, this email that I got may indicate that construction on what I can only presume will be the Gondola station should be starting soon... (we are staying at Art of Animation July 29th through August 6th)

I got the same email today. I'll be at AofA in two weeks. I'll do some scouting and report back.

chiefs11

I think a gondola would be a great solution for the AKL<->AK transportation as well. It is a straight line from AKL (near the main building's bus stop or maybe the main pool area) to the AK transportation area. It would run along the side of the Savanah and have some pretty cool views. If that line were extended to Blizzard beach it would fit in the theme pretty well too. Maybe if this project goes well ?

kthomas105

...without slowing down the throughput of gondolas at all, unlike buses.
With a station setup like the photos attached, groups with mobility scooters and strollers could be directed to one platform and all other guest to a separate platform similar to security checks where there are separate lines for individuals with bags and those without. The platform without strollers and scooters will obviously load faster and keep the capacity higher per hour.

Attachments

• System of Two Gondola Platforms.PNG
    System of Two Gondola Platforms.PNG
    314 KB · Views: 76
  • System of Two Story Gondola Platforms.PNG
    System of Two Story Gondola Platforms.PNG
    117.5 KB · Views: 69

Grimley1968

Yes there are systems where gondola vehicles can be added or removed from a line without stopping or slowing down the rest of the vehicles. It requires a more complicated and expensive system but it does exist. Here is an article that gives some more detail.

Great article, and full of information. I never knew there were so many different types of aerial vehicles on lines! :)

Bairstow

...without slowing down the throughput of gondolas at all, unlike buses.

How do you figure?
Wouldn't this be completely dependent on the number of gondolas in service on the line?

With a bus, the time between vehicle arrivals is such that loading an accessability device makes no difference to the overall capacity or speed of the service. A gondola system would likely be the opposite, as is often seen in many rides.

ABQ

How do you figure?
Wouldn't this be completely dependent on the number of gondolas in service on the line?

With a bus, the time between vehicle arrivals is such that loading an accessability device makes no difference to the overall capacity or speed of the service. A gondola system would likely be the opposite, as is often seen in many rides.
You are correct about the impact on rides, I assume that's due to the necessity for the accessibility device user to transfer. Crossing fingers that the gondola will be more like the monorail and just simply drive on with little issue.

kthomas105

How do you figure?

Your statement is correct if assuming the gondola system would use a singular platform design. If a duel platform design is used (which is feasible with gondola transportation) then accessibility vehicles would not slow down capacity. In ride terms think of It's a Small World at MK but with one load platform designed to handle only those requiring a slower load speed (wheelchairs, scooters or strollers) or even stopping momentarily to allow boarding. While at the same time the other load platform is continually loading all other individuals at a faster pace. Capacity remains constant because the platforms even one another out.

chiefs11

The issues of loading scooters and wheelchairs, the throughput numbers, and the detachable gondolas have all been covered multiple times in this thread. There's even a video of a wheelchair loading into an existing gondola.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for multiple loading platforms, that would increase the complexity (and cost) of the system more then it really needs. Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be pretty cool and would prevent an occasional slow down or stop, but I just don't expect it to happen. And I don't think the building footprints look large enough to have multiple platforms in them.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Your statement is correct if assuming the gondola system would use a singular platform design. If a duel platform design is used (which is feasible with gondola transportation) then accessibility vehicles would not slow down capacity. In ride terms think of It's a Small World at MK but with one load platform designed to handle only those requiring a slower load speed (wheelchairs, scooters or strollers) or even stopping momentarily to allow boarding. While at the same time the other load platform is continually loading all other individuals at a faster pace. Capacity remains constant because the platforms even one another out.
But this also assumes that both boarding loops will be sufficient to address the demands of incoming/outgoing passenger vehicles, because if it isn't, the main line will necessarily have to be halted until the backlog is cleared, IF the backlog is cleared. Continuing with Small World as an example, the delays at load are almost always such that boats waiting to unload are backed up clear across the final two rooms. Granted, the total number of vehicles in circulation on the loop is also a factor of this condition.

EdC

Very neat paper you posted. I thought this intermediary station was interesting as it could serve some purposes shown in previous conversation.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.PNG
    IMG_2800.PNG
    252.7 KB · Views: 89

kthomas105

But this also assumes that both boarding loops will be sufficient to address the demands of incoming/outgoing passenger vehicles, because if it isn't, the main line will necessarily have to be halted until the backlog is cleared, IF the backlog is cleared. Continuing with Small World as an example, the delays at load are almost always such that boats waiting to unload are backed up clear across the final two rooms. Granted, the total number of vehicles in circulation on the loop is also a factor of this condition.
I agree with that but a two platform system would at least decrease that disruption in service. I don't think a gondola should replace the monorail I just wanted to show what Gondolas could do in a specific situation.

jt04

If you wanted to travel east - west, say from Disney Springs to DAK with stops in between and also with monorail and gondola interchanges, what system would you use?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

Electric Trolley/Light rail loop since you asked. :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom