News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

peter11435

Disagree. Drastic decrease is different than removal, and I think is a viable possibility. Again -- they will be shutting this thing down for weather routinely if insiders are right. In any case, not worth debating. We'll see soon enough where it all lands.
You can’t disagree because it’s a fact. One of the primary reasons this was approved was to remove bus service to lower those expenses and to remove traffic on the BVD corridor. If the executives who approved it thought bus service would continue as is it would not have been approved.

People often talk about decreasing bus service. How do you expect that to work? A bus every hour? People already flip out about 20 minutes.

MickeyMinnieMom

You can’t disagree because it’s a fact. One of the primary reasons this was approved was to remove bus service to lower those expenses and to remove traffic on the BVD corridor. If the executives who approved it thought bus service would continue as is it would not have been approved.

People often talk about decreasing bus service. How do you expect that to work? A bus every hour? People already flip out about 20 minutes.
Like I said, I'll wait to see what they do in practice -- including with all the system downtime. :)

jrhwdw

TDO would have to have Buses at the ready for long Thunderstorms correct? What if it Thunders all day???? On the other hand, IDK how many people would go to Epcot/DHS if it's thunders all day.

Lift Blog

The gondola system in La Paz broke its own ridership record again yesterday. 583,841 people on 10 lines in 17 hours. That's more than Boston's average weekday subway ridership. The equivalent for WDW's three lines would be 175,000 riders in a day. I don't think the duplicate buses will be around long.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

The gondolas in La Paz broke their own ridership record again yesterday. 583,841 people on 10 lines in 17 hours. The equivalent for WDW's three lines would be 175,000 riders in a day. I don't think the duplicate buses will be around long.

Do they shut down every time there is "lightning in the area" that reaches a certain threshold (whatever Disney determines this to be)?

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.54.39 AM.png

Kamikaze

While I don't think they will run any buses once the system is operational and any problems are ironed out, they could "decrease" service by using one bus to stop at both Epcot and DHS from the Skyliner resorts.

peter11435

While I don't think they will run any buses once the system is operational and any problems are ironed out, they could "decrease" service by using one bus to stop at both Epcot and DHS from the Skyliner resorts.
But that leads to my second question, how long between busses is acceptable? People already have issues with 20 minutes. You can’t reduce service without increasing that time.

MickeyMinnieMom

The system is not expected to experience too many downtimes. Waiting and seeing is always a good plan, but I wouldn’t count on having a bus option next year from those resorts if I were you.
Waiting to see what this means in practice... particularly in August weather...
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.54.39 AM.png

And I could definitely see infrequent buses -- longer than 20min -- to at least have an option for those who either are afraid to take the gondolas or don't want to risk the system downtime in iffy weather. The main method offered would be gondola, so ok for it to be infrequent.

It's of no consequence to me personally. We rent a car anyway and would just take that if the weather was iffy.

Kamikaze

But that leads to my second question, how long between busses is acceptable? People already have issues with 20 minutes. You can’t reduce service without increasing that time.

Right, but this is 'alternate' service via bus. The main service is the Skyliner and thats constant and an upgrade from the 20 minute buses. The theoretical once an hour bus would be an addon, the Skyliner would be the comparative service to the existing buses.

MickeyMinnieMom

Right, but this is 'alternate' service via bus. The main service is the Skyliner and thats constant and an upgrade from the 20 minute buses. The theoretical once an hour bus would be an addon, the Skyliner would be the comparative service to the existing buses.
Exactly my thinking. We'll see... :)

joelkfla

Stating that something "never would have happened" is a fact is ridiculous. It's clearly an opinion, You have no way of knowing with certainty what could have or could not have happened, and you have no way of knowing the minds of the decision makers in question.

Kamikaze

Stating that something "never would have happened" is a fact is ridiculous. It's clearly an opinion, You have no way of knowing with certainty what could have or could not have happened, and you have no way of knowing the minds of the decision makers in question.

Thats not true. Whats the point of this system if bus service wasn't going to change? If its going to continue to run, the Skyliner doesn't need to exist.

MickeyMinnieMom

To be clear - my thinking is that there will be ZERO buses between the Skyliner resorts and Epcot/DHS.
Gotcha' -- you're listing theoretical possibilities that you don't think will materialize. I think they may well.

Thats not true. Whats the point of this system if bus service wasn't going to change? If its going to continue to run, the Skyliner doesn't need to exist.
Change is different than be eliminated entirely.

peter11435

It’s not ridiculous when you consider why the skyliner was proposed in the first place. I’m not stating my opinion. Removing bus service and reducing traffic was the exact reason an alternate transport method was pursued and approved. They didn’t do this so they could market something new. In this case I actually very much do know what was on the minds of the decision makers.

MickeyMinnieMom

Knowing the modus of TWDC and TDO especially, its not a far leap to say that they wouldn't spend money on 'alternative' service and still offer the existing one.
This logic was also used to suggest Disney would never build a GF-MK walkway. No ROI and people already have monorail/boat options. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom