News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What type are you speaking of? There are all kinds of "people" movers being discussed on this thread.
I'm pretty hard pressed to define it any other way. It is indeed designed and put into practice to be a large scale people mover. So a smaller version to get to the bigger version. Curious though, what else, other then entertainment, could the Skyliner be called.
On a Disney forum it’s pretty obvious that when someone says people mover they mean “The PeopleMover” as in TTA.

976 pages in I guess there isn’t much to do but argue silly semantics around words like people mover or window vs vent.

joelkfla

On a Disney forum it’s pretty obvious that when someone says people mover they mean “The PeopleMover” as in TTA.

976 pages in I guess there isn’t much to do but argue silly semantics around words like people mover or window vs vent.
I've said this before: a detachable gondola lift and the WEDway People Mover are essentially variations on the same concept: continuously moving discrete vehicles which slow down and reduce spacing between vehicles for continuous loading. The major differences are guideway and propulsion.

Grimley1968

Passport to the Parks posted a video showing fencing up around roughly this area at Carribean Beach. There is a also a new sign nearby saying "Pardon out Pixie dust as we enhance this area for Disney's Innovative Transportation System" which leads him to believe this is somehow related to the Skyliner. Personally I think the sign is just a co-incidence but I am still wondering what is being done here.

View attachment 384632

This is only my speculation, but I'm guessing that space is being restricted so they can use it as a staging area and some pathway for merely the addition of a sidewalk along the south side of that bridge to match the one already on the north side of it. Considering all the structural components needed to add to a bridge, that amount of space seems reasonable for a staging area, in addition to part of the pathway. Like others have said, I can't imagine it would save that much time for pedestrians there versus going under the bridge and then getting on the north sidewalk, but it's kind of odd to me that they didn't put sidewalks on both sides of that bridge originally.

I agree the sign is a coincidence. It was a perfect place to put one where people could see the station in its entirety.

ETA: whoops! I see others have speculated the same before.

begood524

Safety signs are now visible at the stations...

"For your safety remain seated, supervise children, Maximum 10 guests, Maximum 6 (with a wheelchair or ECCV)"

Mobility aids and strollers must fit within a 30" x 48" area.

Operating hours "vary depending on weather"

I know that the site that shall not be named posted a mediocre picture of one, but do we have any pictures of one where all of the text is visible?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Passport to the Parks posted a video showing fencing up around roughly this area at Carribean Beach. There is a also a new sign nearby saying "Pardon out Pixie dust as we enhance this area for Disney's Innovative Transportation System" which leads him to believe this is somehow related to the Skyliner. Personally I think the sign is just a co-incidence but I am still wondering what is being done here.

View attachment 384632

They have some small construction equipment in there today ripping up the concrete paths. This further leads be to believe this is just improvements to the walking paths.

Goofyernmost

Maybe, but, it is a concept not a single defining process. No matter what system is used, if it moves people from one spot to another non-stop then by definition, it's a people mover. Like the smaller one it is continuous moving and only slows up to board or disembark.

joelkfla

They have some small construction equipment in there today ripping up the concrete paths. This further leads be to believe this is just improvements to the walking paths.
View attachment 384900
Rob posted another video this evening, where he walked across the bridge, and spotted a row of stakes that appear to mark a path from the west end of the bridge to the walkway to the station. So it looks like adding a walkway to the south side of the bridge is the plan.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom