News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Nubs70

Haha! :p

@Magic Feather’s reply seemed to suggest that although the Epcot line may not be open by May, that the DHS line might be (with or without the POP/AoA link). I was trying to get clarification as to whether that is what he meant. Or not.
I would think the whole thing would open at once from a pure logistics perspective. Opening the entire system will be chaotic enough let alone a "this segment but not that segment" approach.

Glad you caught my initial sarcasm

OG Runner

I would think the whole thing would open at once from a pure logistics perspective. Opening the entire system will be chaotic enough let alone a "this segment but not that segment" approach.

Glad you caught my initial sarcasm

I am thinking it may open in segments. They started testing in segments and then expanded to other sections. I would imagine
they would open the system the same way.

nickys

Premium Member
I am thinking it may open in segments. They started testing in segments and then expanded to other sections. I would imagine
they would open the system the same way.

But they need to the all important capacity testing at CBR to see how things work with all three lines running at the same time. How do they do that if one or two lines are already carrying passengers? Especially with the mid-line Riviera station on the line that was last to start testing. Once they’ve opened one line, they can’t very easily shut them all down in order to go back and test.

Therefore, once they’ve done that CBR Hub testing, I would think they’re good to go with all of it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But they need to the all important capacity testing at CBR to see how things work with all three lines running at the same time. How do they do that if one or two lines are already carrying passengers? Especially with the mid-line Riviera station on the line that was last to start testing. Once they’ve opened one line, they can’t very easily shut them all down in order to go back and test.

Therefore, once they’ve done that CBR Hub testing, I would think they’re good to go with all of it.

You can't do real capacity "testing" until the lines are open to the public, so it really shouldn't matter if the Epcot line opens later then the other two.

nickys

Premium Member
You can't do real capacity "testing" until the lines are open to the public, so it really shouldn't matter if the Epcot line opens later then the other two.

Wouldn’t they just do it with CMs first though?

It seems like Riviera could pose a few problems in addition to those at the terminals. Wouldn’t they be testing loading of strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs at Riviera before it gets anywhere close to being opened to the public?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wouldn’t they just do it with CMs first though?

It seems like Riviera could pose a few problems in addition to those at the terminals. Wouldn’t they be testing loading of strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs at Riviera before it gets anywhere close to being opened to the public?

It would take a lot of cast members to come close to what real world conditions would be, and even then, they are not going to behave like actual guests. Yes, I assume they will use CM's to do some testing, but when it comes to crowd flow I don't think they will know how well everything goes until the system starts carrying guests.

iowamomof4

It really shouldn't be hard to tell guests at CBR and Pop/AoA that they can ride the gondola to DHS. If the guests are wanting to go to Epcot, they would be directed to the bus stops at their resort.

joelkfla

Won't all this black asphalt add to the easy bake oven affect? 🔥🥵

It's not asphalt. If you zoom in, you can see it's some form of lattice mat, probably rubber.

Missing20K

It's not asphalt. If you zoom in, you can see it's some form of lattice mat, probably rubber.
View attachment 363421
Looks like this (EZ-Roll Grass Pavers) or a similar product. Allows one to drive vehicles (in this case, I assume emergency access and maintenance vehicles) over planted grass. Looks nearly like a regular lawn, except you can drive a car on it and not damage the grass.

As an added advantage, it also usually qualifies as a permeable surface and one is granted a better "category" in regards to water management.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems like Disney will have very little direct participation in the operation beyond loading and unloading.

It doesn’t have to be quite that stark. They could be contractors to Disney.... or simply back of house positions working as vendors. Disney can be running ops with their own staff, and contracting out facilities, maint, etc. Being a new discipline for Disney, maybe they are doing this for the initial 2-3 yrs to build up their own program and will roll it into their own responsibilities over time.

Disney already relies on tons of vendors and contractors elsewhere... we are just giving it lots of scrutiny here because of the microscope.

Patcheslee

Looks like this (EZ-Roll Grass Pavers) or a similar product. Allows one to drive vehicles (in this case, I assume emergency access and maintenance vehicles) over planted grass. Looks nearly like a regular lawn, except you can drive a car on it and not damage the grass.

As an added advantage, it also usually qualifies as a permeable surface and one is granted a better "category" in regards to water management.
DH was just talking about pouring concrete for our gravel drive....
Too bad they couldn't have done a yellow brick road type of deal to HS lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom