News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lensman

Im not really sure about how the circulator bus will run, like if it will include CBR and Riviera, but there is a chance that somebody with that much issue would be dropped at or directed to the CBR station. I see the Riviera station being more of a convenience station than a fully equipped one. For people staying in Aruba and the remainder of Martinique, its likely going to be easier for them to get to the Riviera station...In addition, it would be easier for these people to get to the Studios if they just cut out the half gondola leg for the transfer.

Again, this is all a "what if" based on lack of knowledge if the CBR resort bus will include Riviera, which would actually make sense.
This is a fascinating idea and also raises the question of whether the Riviera will have its own bus routes or whether it will share with CBR. I'll bring that up over in the Riviera thread. Though I do understand that all they would really need is for the CBR circulator bus to make a stop at the Riviera.

Bender123

This is a fascinating idea and also raises the question of whether the Riviera will have its own bus routes or whether it will share with CBR. I'll bring that up over in the Riviera thread. Though I do understand that all they would really need is for the CBR circulator bus to make a stop at the Riviera.

I definitely see it as having its own busses, but I also see it as still being "CBR in spirit"...It would be a shame to cut it off. I see that Riviera station much the same way as I see the TTC for the Polynesian for some people...Its just faster to go there than to wait for a circulator or walk to the CBR station, but being connected offers a full service station for those that need special assistance in boarding.

The sane part of me says its a logical step to take and makes perfect sense from an operational standpoint...the bus is going to have to drive past the entrance of the Riviera to complete the loop, unless they are planning on doing Y turns with the bus. It just makes sense to just stop the bus there for a minute so Riviera passengers can use either station or utilize the amenities of OPR. It doesn't make sense to have a second bike rental, second boat rental (if it comes back), etc...There is a ton of natural synergy between these two.

Lets just wait and see how TDO manages to screw this one up, though...

joelkfla

.the bus is going to have to drive past the entrance of the Riviera to complete the loop, unless they are planning on doing Y turns with the bus.
Disney buses make no "Y"-turns. Turnaround loops have been built at both ends of the current route. They could continue the current route configuration, or they could go back to a full loop including Riviera.

MickeyMinnieMom

I definitely see it as having its own busses, but I also see it as still being "CBR in spirit"...It would be a shame to cut it off.
Do you think most buyers there would see it this way -- that it is "CBR in spirit" -- and at this price point? Doesn't seem to me like Disney is trying to link them in ANY way at all. They're billing DRR as luxury and standalone in important ways. I don't think it says luxury to have much overlap there at all...

Bender123

Do you think most buyers there would see it this way -- that it is "CBR in spirit" -- and at this price point? Doesn't seem to me like Disney is trying to link them in ANY way at all. They're billing DRR as luxury and standalone in important ways. I don't think it says luxury to have much overlap there at all...

Except this is a fairly unique situation...its not like the hotels on Bay Lake and Seven Seas. This is a situation where the nearest moderate rooms are about two minute walk to the left or right. The lake area they surround is also insanely small.

Im not talking about making them the same, but there isn't much reason to duplicate services on such a small parcel of land. I don't know who first timers to WDW are not going to see other options and be drawn to them...

I guess the test of this is if there is any planned construction for the hotel that would include beach side amenities for out door activities. As for the bus circulator, Im not really understanding why this would not be a part of a "deluxe" service...Unless we are talking something completely new to WDW and disallowing use of individual transport options based on hotel status. I get having pools locked down, but to cut off a viable transport option just seems weird, clunky and destined to make guests angry.

OG Runner

I think you are correct. Disney is making an effort to separate "groups", with more benefits to those who spend more to stay.
I mean look at the bus parking at the Magic Kingdom. The bus stops are set-up where the bus stops for the higher priced
resorts unload closer to the park.

Doug Means

I think you are correct. Disney is making an effort to separate "groups", with more benefits to those who spend more to stay.
I mean look at the bus parking at the Magic Kingdom. The bus stops are set-up where the bus stops for the higher priced
THEY ARE???

ABQ

Unloading is not the same as loading. Buses unload at the first available berth, normally. And if you think pickups locations are based on cost, you've never stayed at Wilderness Lodge and left Epcot by bus. Or the WL has been overcharging me?

MickeyMinnieMom

Unloading is not the same as loading. Buses unload at the first available berth, normally. And if you think pickups locations are based on cost, you've never stayed at Wilderness Lodge and left Epcot by bus. Or the WL has been overcharging me?
I assume they match bus frequency with expected demand given relative resort sizes -- which makes sense.

MickeyMinnieMom

Except this is a fairly unique situation...its not like the hotels on Bay Lake and Seven Seas. This is a situation where the nearest moderate rooms are about two minute walk to the left or right. The lake area they surround is also insanely small.

Im not talking about making them the same, but there isn't much reason to duplicate services on such a small parcel of land. I don't know who first timers to WDW are not going to see other options and be drawn to them...

I guess the test of this is if there is any planned construction for the hotel that would include beach side amenities for out door activities. As for the bus circulator, Im not really understanding why this would not be a part of a "deluxe" service...Unless we are talking something completely new to WDW and disallowing use of individual transport options based on hotel status. I get having pools locked down, but to cut off a viable transport option just seems weird, clunky and destined to make guests angry.
I guess I just see Disney marketing DRR BY ITSELF -- they are NOT selling proximity to CBR or shared amenities of any sort at all, unless I've missed it. That would make it seem less luxe, and they are charging near BLT/VGF prices for this thing.

Whether they share bus service at all ultimately I have no idea. Obviously the gondola system is shared. But to your comment about DRR being in some way "CBR in spirit", my point was just that I doubt it's a selling point for a deluxe-priced resort that you share amenities with CBR. Not to most buyers, or they'd market it that way.

Bender123

I guess I just see Disney marketing DRR BY ITSLEF -- they are NOT selling proximity to CBR or shared amenities of any sort at all, unless I've missed it. That would make it seem less luxe, and they are charging neat BLT/VGF prices for this thing.

Whether they share bus service at all ultimately I have no idea. Obviously the gondola system is shared. But to your comment about DRR being in some way "CBR in spirit", my point was just that I doubt it's a selling point for a deluxe-priced resort that you share amenities with CBR. Not to most buyers, or they'd market it that way.

Yes...we know this. What isn't known is the low hanging fruit of non-necessary extras. Do you seriously think that people at Aruba will be forced to make a go around on a bus to get on a gondola that then leads back through the station they could have walked to in under a minute? Would you seriously think they will stop the whole system to load a person when they have a fully functional stop?

Yeah...we know its marketed as a deluxe resort, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that there will be some level of shared (or at a minimal AVAILABLE) services available that it just doesn't make sense to duplicate across two WDW resorts within such a small area.

MickeyMinnieMom

Yes...we know this. What isn't known is the low hanging fruit of non-necessary extras. Do you seriously think that people at Aruba will be forced to make a go around on a bus to get on a gondola that then leads back through the station they could have walked to in under a minute? Would you seriously think they will stop the whole system to load a person when they have a fully functional stop?

Yeah...we know its marketed as a deluxe resort, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that there will be some level of shared (or at a minimal AVAILABLE) services available that it just doesn't make sense to duplicate across two WDW resorts within such a small area.
In that case, I can't wait for the threads filled with Riviera owners complaining about the droves invading and using THEIR station that THEY paid so much for (and they ARE paying via VERY high maintenance fees, particularly wrt "transportation")! 👍

nickys

Premium Member
In that case, I can't wait for the threads filled with Riviera owners complaining about the droves invading and using THEIR station that THEY paid so much for (and they ARE paying via VERY high maintenance fees, particularly wrt "transportation")! 👍

There have already been posts about how their IG will be ruined by the arrival of hordes of plebs from POP and AoA when the Skyliner opens. :oops:

To be clear, I’m not getting at anyone who is simply worried about it being a lot busier. There are some though who have either called it their own entrance or actually referenced the value resort guests as somehow devaluing their experience at the Epcot resorts.

joelkfla

The bus stops are set-up where the bus stops for the higher priced
A common misconception. Actually, load zones for value resorts are usually furthest because the value resorts are largest, and so are assigned to load zones with the largest queues, which are usually furthest. That also prevents queue overflow from interfering with access to other load zones.

At AK, Pop & AoA are at the closest load zones, because the ones with the extended queues were built most recently, and it was easier to add them between the existing load zones and the park entrance.

Bender123

There have already been posts about how their IG will be ruined by the arrival of hordes of plebs from POP and AoA when the Skyliner opens. :oops:

To be clear, I’m not getting at anyone who is simply worried about it being a lot busier. There are some though who have either called it their own entrance or actually referenced the value resort guests as somehow devaluing their experience at the Epcot resorts.

The issue with any of these thoughts is that the number of people this would apply to is maybe half of Aruba and the remaining half of Martinique that would find any value to using the station over just going to CBR station...more if they find the time advantage of just walking further to avoid backtracking on the gondola.

I just do not see a situation where "Deluxe" implies that that they get their own private station...That makes zero sense. Like Riviera staff are going to start blocking people from Aruba 55 and 56 from walking less than a minute to a station in order to force a class war directive from Riviera guests. We aren't talking about a situation like a Four Seasons parked next to Motel 6, here...

My other issue is that, if there is a circulator anyway, why would you spend extra money on a secondary load platform at Riviera if you can just direct people to the sunk cost of a bus and tell them to go to the station that was literally custom designed to handle this sort of thing?

nickys

Premium Member
;) True but the misinformation infuriates me...:mad:

Mama always said, “You can’t fix stupid...but you can numb it with a 2x4” LOL

I realise there is no excuse by now for the misinformation floating around. And it infuriates me too.

However, I do think that sometimes it’s easy to forget how lucky we are on these forums. We get a lot of extra information, thanks to those who have “insider knowledge” who are willing to share some of it. :)

I know I’m forever telling people “if you want to know what’s happening, go to the WDWMagic forums”. But they could be forgiven for wondering why it would be any different to other sites. And when they do come and start reading, they’ll wonder who to listen to. Of course, when they see that certain people get about 75 “likes” every time they post, they can probably begin to work it out!

So although to us, these things have been known for ages, I can understand why it took other sites longer to catch up. That said, I’m surprised they would print an article with that level of ignorance.

nickys

Premium Member
The issue with any of these thoughts is that the number of people this would apply to is maybe half of Aruba and the remaining half of Martinique that would find any value to using the station over just going to CBR station...more if they find the time advantage of just walking further to avoid backtracking on the gondola.

I just do not see a situation where "Deluxe" implies that that they get their own private station...That makes zero sense. Like Riviera staff are going to start blocking people from Aruba 55 and 56 from walking less than a minute to a station in order to force a class war directive from Riviera guests. We aren't talking about a situation like a Four Seasons parked next to Motel 6, here...

My other issue is that, if there is a circulator anyway, why would you spend extra money on a secondary load platform at Riviera if you can just direct people to the sunk cost of a bus and tell them to go to the station that was literally custom designed to handle this sort of thing?

Oh no. I agree with you, I think it makes total sense. I’m sure right at the start it was pointed out the Riviera station would be nearer to parts of CBR than the CBR Hub.

And the idea of ECV users being encouraged to go to the Hub for easier boarding is a good one. It would make things much easier all round.

MickeyMinnieMom

Not surprised. IMO there are legitimate concerns about how crowded something will be when you're paying deluxe prices (again, DRR is priced near BLT and VGF).

The other comments are just not ok, but at the same time are not surprising to me.

OG Runner

I did mention the bus stops at the Magic Kingdom, not Epcot. I am really not sure if Epcot has a rhyme or reason to their bus stops.

From my observations, that is time dependent and is driven by whether the bus is returning to the same resort. During the morning surge, buses deadhead back to a resort and presumably are routed to where they are needed. Once you hit 10:00 or 10:30 AM, you see buses that are returning to the resort they just travelled from and they unload at the resort load point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom