News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jt04

its not about 'in a row' - its about keeping a minimum spacing because the example he was bringing up was simply when the timing required differs at the load vs unload. A cabin on the secondary line still must move out in time to make room for the incoming cabin when it arrives or the line must stop.

It would be difficult to keep those two timings in sync.. so you must combat that by making the transit time in the secondary loop even longer to allow for more stupid-human-trick time buffer.

And of course the slower the transit.. the lower the throughput of this secondary loop. It will be interesting to see its final operating setup

I don't think the load and unload will be in the same spot. That would allow several gondolas to stack up in the secondary loop. I think there will always be gondolas in the secondary loop for loading.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't think the load and unload will be in the same spot. That would allow several gondolas to stack up in the secondary loop. I think there will always be gondolas in the secondary loop for loading.

You can't really have cars stack up in the loop, because for one to leave the loop, it has to fill the gap from one that just entered the loop. This means there will always be a fixed number of cars on the loop. From what people observed it looks like there will always be three on the loop.

truecoat

People that use wheelchairs daily will load and unload very quickly. Of course there will be exceptions to this but in my experience, most users will load and unload as fast as everyone else. It’s really the people that aren’t experienced in using scooters that need the extra time.

Years ago, I worked in the medical equipment field and no matter how many times you told someone the handle on a scooter was just like a gas pedal, they’d just grab it and go flying into something.

note2001

Of which there are a great many at WDW.
If reverse is the problem people seem to have with the scooters, a future enhancement idea for the ECV carrying cars: put a door on both sides, when approaching a station it rotates the cabin 180 so the driver can pull straight out. (Idea from Disney's own Fort Wilderness where they had made many spots as pull through keeping the roads clear of vehicles having trouble.)

However... I've seen plenty of ecv drivers who can't even figure out stop and go.

joelkfla

If reverse is the problem people seem to have with the scooters, a future enhancement idea for the ECV carrying cars: put a door on both sides, when approaching a station it rotates the cabin 180 so the driver can pull straight out. (Idea from Disney's own Fort Wilderness where they had made many spots as pull through keeping the roads clear of vehicles having trouble.)

However... I've seen plenty of ecv drivers who can't even figure out stop and go.
I'm pretty sure that technology doesn't exist. You're looking at big bucks to design, test, and tool up for a whole new type of hanger-to-cabin connection.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wheelchairs and scooters have to be secured with tie downs in a bus. The gondola has no such requirements.

That was my point. There was a question of how long they would give people to load on the secondary loop. It takes a couple minutes to load an ECV on a bus, so even a 2 to 3 minute wait to load on the gondola would be an improvement, especially since it doesn't hold anyone else up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

It would probably be easier to do a car with doors on both sides and design a special loading area to accommodate that.

joelkfla

It would probably be easier to do a car with doors on both sides and design a special loading area to accommodate that.
People getting off in the middle of the loop would have no way out. You'd need a bridge at each station with elevators at both ends of the bridge, or you'd need to elevate each station with elevators both inside and outside the loop.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Has anyone seen any testing on the Epcot line? It seems that we haven't gotten any Skyliner updates anytime recently

Last we saw they were doing some testing that Boardwalk turn station. I don't believe anyone has cars doing the full loop yet.

I do wonder if there will need to be some special coordination for that testing since it passes over the Rat construction site which leads to the chance of a tall piece of construction equipment getting in the way.

nbdysreal

Has anyone seen any testing on the Epcot line? It seems that we haven't gotten any Skyliner updates anytime recently
A few pages back I popped up a pic of the boardwalk turn station with 1 cabin in it. Not as exciting as the multiple pushing through Art/Pop, but at least a start.

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

can anyone repost the loop maps??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom