News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We have seen plans to build a boat dock on Hourglass Lake specifically to handle this scenario.

Indeed. The pontoons that helped build the Hourglass Lake line had cranes and other heavy construction equipment floating out on the lake. The pontoons that will be permanently docked at the lake can easily handle a scissor lift especially with the cabins so low.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There are now photos of WDW on Google Earth dated 12/17/2018. You can see all the gondola stations and follow the routes easily.

There are more recent aerials on the county appraisers website:

Click off parcel lines in layers and in Base Map, chose 2019. It's from January.

This will eventually hit Google Earth and Maps.

halltd

Watched the DHS station testing this evening. The accessible loop appears to be fully automated. It was hard to time because the line was stopping semi-frequently as well. But, it was fascinating to watch. Everything was gliding along like clockwork. Basically one cabin exits the main line while one from the rear loop takes its exact spot, with a third cabin stationary and loading passengers. It also looks like there’s at least a minute and a half to unload and the same or more to load on that loop (all stationary while loading/unloading passengers). Also, since one leaves and the other takes its exact spot, I don’t see why this couldn’t happen whenever the cast wanted it to. So, if someone needs five minutes to load, no big deal.

Like I said, fascinating. I can’t wait for this to open!

Last edited:

iowamomof4

Watched the DHS station testing this evening. The accessible loop appears to be fully automated. It was hard to time because the line was stopping semi-frequently as well. But, it was fascinating to watch. Everything was gliding along like clockwork. Basically one cabin exits the main line while one from the rear loop takes its exact spot, with a third cabin stationary and loading passengers. It also looks like there’s at least a minute and a half to unload and the same or more to load on that loop (all stationary while loading/unloading passengers).

Like I said, fascinating. I can’t wait for this to open!
I assume you didn't see anyone actually entering or exiting the cabins though?

halltd

What if the next gondola comes in sooner than that? I think they'll leave a relatively fixed interval that will leave plenty of time to get things done.

PS: Thanks for that report. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works (at least via video) for myself.
I’m assuming the CM needs to say the emptying cabin is clear and the loading cabin is clear, then it moves those two around the curve and the next incoming one joins the offshoot curve. As soon as it enters, the exiting one joins the main rope in what looked to be the exact same location. If the secondary spur is not ready to advance, the main line just keeps moving. I’d guess that if no wheeled vehicles were in the queue, no cabins would be dispatched back there.

If someone were to video the process, it’d be very simple for everyone to see how it works.

Like I said, they all move together in this amazingly efficient little dance. I stood there for a good hour and a half just watching.

joelkfla

I’m assuming the CM needs to say the emptying cabin is clear and the loading cabin is clear, then it moves those two around the curve and the next incoming one joins the offshoot curve. As soon as it enters, the exiting one joins the main rope in what looked to be the exact same location. If the secondary spur is not ready to advance, the main line just keeps moving. I’d guess that if no wheeled vehicles were in the queue, no cabins would be dispatched back there.

If someone were to video the process, it’d be very simple for everyone to see how it works.

Like I said, they all move together in this amazingly efficient little dance. I stood there for a good hour and a half just watching.
We've been thru this discussion before, but ...

The issue is: What happens when the next cabin containing a wheelchair to be unloaded arrives at the station when cast is still in the process of loading a wheelchair in the secondary loop? Where does the arriving cabin with the wheelchair go, since there is no cabin available to take its place?

But we'll probably just have to wait until the system's taking Guests to find out.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
We've been thru this discussion before, but ...

The issue is: What happens when the next cabin containing a wheelchair to be unloaded arrives at the station when cast is still in the process of loading a wheelchair in the secondary loop? Where does the arriving cabin with the wheelchair go, since there is no cabin available to take its place?

But we'll probably just have to wait until the system's taking Guests to find out.

A station wouldn't be sending out two wheelchair cabins in a row. Thus, you wouldn't have two wheelchair cabins arriving in a row. That gives you time to unload and reload. Besides, the pull-out wheel looks like it can put up to four cabins on 'hold' at one time. And if that is not enough, this is when they slow down or stop the rope for the extra minute it takes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A station wouldn't be sending out two wheelchair cabins in a row. Thus, you wouldn't have two wheelchair cabins arriving in a row. That gives you time to unload and reload. Besides, the pull-out wheel looks like it can put up to four cabins on 'hold' at one time. And if that is not enough, this is when they slow down or stop the rope for the extra minute it takes.

its not about 'in a row' - its about keeping a minimum spacing because the example he was bringing up was simply when the timing required differs at the load vs unload. A cabin on the secondary line still must move out in time to make room for the incoming cabin when it arrives or the line must stop.

It would be difficult to keep those two timings in sync.. so you must combat that by making the transit time in the secondary loop even longer to allow for more stupid-human-trick time buffer.

And of course the slower the transit.. the lower the throughput of this secondary loop. It will be interesting to see its final operating setup

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
its not about 'in a row' - its about keeping a minimum spacing because the example he was bringing up was simply when the timing required differs at the load vs unload. A cabin on the secondary line still must move out in time to make room for the incoming cabin when it arrives or the line must stop.

It would be difficult to keep those two timings in sync.. so you must combat that by making the transit time in the secondary loop even longer to allow for more stupid-human-trick time buffer.

And of course the slower the transit.. the lower the throughput of this secondary loop. It will be interesting to see its final operating setup

Considering how long it takes to load an ECV on a bus, even 2 to 3 minutes load time on the secondary loop would still be an improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom