News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Possible, but unproven. To my knowledge, the most complex out of the 3 or so existing PRT systems is the Heathrow Pods, which is a simple "T" configuration with 3 stations. None of the complexities, like route optimization, network balancing, vehicle availability, etc., have been addressed in a real-world complex PRT implementation. IMHO, Disney, being beholden to Wall St., is not likely to invest big bucks in an unproven technology.

Personally, I've been hoping for years that someone would take the plunge and build a genuine, large-scale PRT. But I'm afraid that autonomous vehicles have obsoleted them before they've gotten off the ground.
There’s a system at West Virginia University that’s been around forever. It’s sometjing like 5 stations and maybe 100 cars. Not as big as what they would need at WDW but they could build a system with a handful of stops serving 3 or 4 resorts and several parks (similar to the gondolas) and expand from there.

joelkfla

There’s a system at West Virginia University that’s been around forever. It’s sometjing like 5 stations and maybe 100 cars. Not as big as what they would need at WDW but they could build a system with a handful of stops serving 3 or 4 resorts and several parks (similar to the gondolas) and expand from there.
There is, but it's a single line. It runs like conventional transit during heavy ridership periods using minibus sized vehicles (I've seen it called "Group Rapid Transit"). It runs in PRT mode only during less busy times. There are no routing decisions for the system to make, other than bypassing intermediate stations.

Sure, Disney could build something like that, but I don't think anyone is marketing it. I believe the companies who are trying to sell PRT's and who have actually installed one are focused on 4-passenger or smaller vehicles, which probably would not be able to keep up with a park exit. And as soon as Disney branched onto a 2nd line, they'd be breaking new ground.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is, but it's a single line. It runs like conventional transit during heavy ridership periods using minibus sized vehicles (I've seen it called "Group Rapid Transit"). It runs in PRT mode only during less busy times. There are no routing decisions for the system to make, other than bypassing intermediate stations.

Sure, Disney could build something like that, but I don't think anyone is marketing it. I believe the companies who are trying to sell PRT's and who have actually installed one are focused on 4-passenger or smaller vehicles, which probably would not be able to keep up with a park exit. And as soon as Disney branched onto a 2nd line, they'd be breaking new ground.
I don’t really care about Disney having cutting edge technology or advancing a new mode of transportation, it’s more about making getting from resort to park more enjoyable and efficient than riding the buses. Enjoyable isn’t a high hurdle but the buses are efficient so any new system would need to have guest waits equal or less than current buses while providing a more personalized ride experience. This would basically be a train without the tracks and all of the cars can go their own way based on need. They could start out with a limited number of stops until they get the logistics down.

joelkfla

I don’t really care about Disney having cutting edge technology or advancing a new mode of transportation, it’s more about making getting from resort to park more enjoyable and efficient than riding the buses. Enjoyable isn’t a high hurdle but the buses are efficient so any new system would need to have guest waits equal or less than current buses while providing a more personalized ride experience. This would basically be a train without the tracks and all of the cars can go their own way based on need. They could start out with a limited number of stops until they get the logistics down.
Well, I'd love to see it, too. I just don't think Disney mgt would go out on a limb for it. Light rail or people movers (not the People Mover) would be cheaper and less risky.

The Skyliner, OTOH, is a brilliant move: proven technology, installed, maintained, and operated by a company with a long impeccable record, yet unique in its application in North America, and destined to be iconic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For what seems like the gondola yard will remain uncovered, it was not so in the artist's concept art...

1548832430728.png

Then again, that concept art didn't show the character-wraps.

HiJe

The decals are dual purpose. They allow the 20 feet club :bookworm: to not scar small children, as well as help keep the cars at a slow bake instead of incineration level. :cool:

Will you be charged extra if one of the characters on the decal gets burned onto your skin permanently like a Henna tattoo? Or will this just be considered free advertising for the company?

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Can you imagine the excitement if they made private roadways for buses and or automated vehicles or even a monorail? If they tripled the fleet of transportation even using the current buses, I would be more excited.

I understand the skyliner; continuous loading, "driver-less", the skyliner requires less cast members to operate, and hopefully, safer, and in my opinion is also considered an attraction. I know I am going to ride this "attraction" when its open :)

I agree, in my opinion, private roadways for buses and or automated vehicles IS the best solution. The existing buses can use this private roadway and also autonomous buses (that already exist) could be used here, and I suspect would be even safer on these private roadways.

Imagine this, parallel with these private road ways are narrower roads ways that accommodate slow moving driver-less vehicles using wires embedded in the roadway like the parade floats currently use, like a less expensive version of the TTA :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Agreed.

Honestly, a PRT system is where I would land if I was in the planning department. Flexibility to build out overtime would enable spreading the cost out, and frankly, would be the most practical solution. On any given day you have 50,000 - 100,000 people which need to be moved from as many as close to 20 points to any number of up to 20 points. A point to point transit system is the ideal situation, and with current technology, it is actually possible.
Possible, but unproven. To my knowledge, the most complex out of the 3 or so existing PRT systems is the Heathrow Pods, which is a simple "T" configuration with 3 stations. None of the complexities, like route optimization, network balancing, vehicle availability, etc., have been addressed in a real-world complex PRT implementation. IMHO, Disney, being beholden to Wall St., is not likely to invest big bucks in an unproven technology.

Personally, I've been hoping for years that someone would take the plunge and build a genuine, large-scale PRT. But I'm afraid that autonomous vehicles have obsoleted them before they've gotten off the ground.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. The Mk3 WEDWay would have been ideal.

Disney invented the damn thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom