News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cindy_k

Noticed that the Skyliner is now mentioned under the "What Makes this Resort Unique?" section of Pop, AoA, Caribbean Beach, and Riviera webpages. Interestingly, Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach also advertise Skyliner access.
Yacht/Beach club I get, its a short walk and then a ride to Hollywood Studios. But Boardwalk? I might as well just walk over the DHS, it'd be faster. Especially since you can walk the endless Boardwalk hallways in Air Conditioning to the side exit.

kurtk

From the pictures I have seen, it seems the stations are the limiting factor on when the Skyliner will open. The cables are pulled and the cars are now there. Since they have had some things running, I assume the drive mechanisms are installed and if not working, should be soon. The construction time for the stations is still not ready though. There are some that have bathrooms and they have some longer construction times.

Anyone know if that is correct?

Rteetz

From the pictures I have seen, it seems the stations are the limiting factor on when the Skyliner will open. The cables are pulled and the cars are now there. Since they have had some things running, I assume the drive mechanisms are installed and if not working, should be soon. The construction time for the stations is still not ready though. There are some that have bathrooms and they have some longer construction times.

Only maybe 15ish cabins are on site.

jrhwdw

Yacht/Beach club I get, its a short walk and then a ride to Hollywood Studios. But Boardwalk? I might as well just walk over the DHS, it'd be faster. Especially since you can walk the endless Boardwalk hallways in Air Conditioning to the side exit.
Isn't Boardwalk the same distance if not closer to IG? Doesn't shock me that Boardwalk is promoting Skyliner, The only real walk to a Station/not on the Resort's website is Swan/Dolphin.

Is this was mentioned, forgive me. Can Gondolas can easily be added to the lines for peak times?(Start/End of Day, SWGE/ Opening Day?)Or do we have a set number of Gondolas?

Skyliner doesn't have to worry about a Parade at DHS right now.

Rteetz

Isn't Boardwalk the same distance if not closer to IG? Doesn't shock me that Boardwalk is promoting Skyliner, The only real walk to a Station/not on the Resort's website is Swan/Dolphin.

Is this was mentioned, forgive me. Can Gondolas can easily be added to the lines for peak times?(Start/End of Day, SWGE/ Opening Day?)Or do we have a set number of Gondolas?

Skyliner doesn't have to worry about a Parade at DHS right now.
Depends on where you are at Boardwalk. The Boardwalk isn't a small resort. It can be pretty far from IG from certain areas of Boardwalk.

You could add or remove gondolas but you shouldn't need to do much of that. Think of it more like an omnimover attraction. You don't add or remove vehicles in those.

jrhwdw

Depends on where you are at Boardwalk. The Boardwalk isn't a small resort. It can be pretty far from IG from certain areas of Boardwalk.

You could add or remove gondolas but you shouldn't need to do much of that. Think of it more like an omnimover attraction. You don't add or remove vehicles in those.
Doesn't WDW add Monorails/Buses at certain times?

SLUSHIE

There is no reason to not run it with all the cabins on the line at all times. Sometimes when there is lower demand, lifts will run at a slower speed. I'm not necessarily sure of the exact reason for that, but its probably just a cost savings on electricity to run it at a slower speed when not needed

Do we know that those little boxes on top of the cabins are for?

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
iwannalive.gif

dhslxop

No insider knowledge, but I would have to imagine that it will be many hundreds of hours of testing. If you think about the amount of time they were running Slinky trains on the track, before they even put people in the trains, it will still be quite a while. I know it's a little bit simpler than a roller coaster, but I'm sure Disney has a standard of the number of hours they have to have for testing, prior to riders getting on. I bet we see these cars cycling empty for a while, and then eventually see sandbags or bags of rocks, and then eventually people for testing. Not to mention the fact that Disney's safety standards would likely require all station work (aesthetic, construction, etc.) to stop while the vehicles are cycling, so you will probably have the different teams alternating work times. I can definitely still see it being a ways off.

kinglouis246

How would anyone other than a resort guest use it since you can't park at a resort unless you are a guest? People could ride to and back from a resort from a park just for a "joy ride" or to go to a restaurant but otherwise I don't think they aill have too many non-resort riders to deal with.
There are plenty of people who purchase park hopper passes that could use it to get between parks. There are also the pass-holders (like myself) who would use it as a joy ride and also transportation between the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Leaving DHS with the crowd, the ferry can get a huge line. In that case, the gondola would be faster and less walking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom