News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Grimley1968

Yes. Jeongseon, Yongpyong and Phoenix Park all have Doppelmayr 8-passenger gondolas. The one at the downhill venue (Jeongseon) is brand new and most analagous to the Skyliner, although Disney is getting an even newer model called D-Line.
Thanks for the answer. Even if Disney’s will be newer, those gondolas look super cool passing over those slopes. Sometimes on tv the skiers would go through shadows of an overhead gondola, where you could see the cabin, the hook or whatever that’s called, etc. very clearly. I’m not sure Doppelmayr could have gotten better advertising than that.

Lift Blog

Thanks for the answer. Even if Disney’s will be newer, those gondolas look super cool passing over those slopes. Sometimes on tv the skiers would go through shadows of an overhead gondola, where you could see the cabin, the hook or whatever that’s called, etc. very clearly. I’m not sure Doppelmayr could have gotten better advertising than that.
The most-visited resort in the world will be even better advertising! I hear there won’t be any Doppelmayr logos on the system though. Is this standard Disney practice?

JoeCamel

The most-visited resort in the world will be even better advertising! I hear there won’t be any Doppelmayr logos on the system though. Is this standard Disney practice?
I am sure WDW would allow logos for a slight fee..........;)

But the Germans said "that's fine, we don't need logos on our product".

trainplane3

I think I remember back when RnRC and EE were being built, Vekoma wasn't allowed to officially confirm they were the manufacturer. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

I'm sure someone can confirm if that was the case.

DisneyCane

Any ski resort I've ever been to, the only place you can see the manufacturer logo on a lift or gondola is a small placard in the station. Anybody that buys lifts or gondolas knows who makes them. No customer cares who made them as long as the chair or cabin doesn't detach from the cable. If it did, the only reason they would care is to know who to sue.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I can understand that they would want to err on the side of caution. After all, there's a constant threat of sinkholes in the area. It was only 4 years ago that this one collapsed."

Florida Sinkholes are a scourge. Disney “sinkholes” serve as excuses for destroying classic attractions or pretty much an excuse for anything bad that afflicts TDO.

Lift Blog

Any ski resort I've ever been to, the only place you can see the manufacturer logo on a lift or gondola is a small placard in the station. Anybody that buys lifts or gondolas knows who makes them. No customer cares who made them as long as the chair or cabin doesn't detach from the cable. If it did, the only reason they would care is to know who to sue.

Doppelmayr generally puts nameplates on the rear station columns, on every tower number plate, on every chair number plate and inside each gondola cabin. I noticed the first Skyliner tower that went up has just a number and letters indicating the line but no logo.

truecoat

Yes. Jeongseon, Yongpyong and Phoenix Park all have Doppelmayr 8-passenger gondolas. The one at the downhill venue (Jeongseon) is brand new and most analagous to the Skyliner, although Disney is getting an even newer model called D-Line.

What's the advantage of the D-Line over others they sell in your opinion?

lazyboy97o

I think I remember back when RnRC and EE were being built, Vekoma wasn't allowed to officially confirm they were the manufacturer. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

I'm sure someone can confirm if that was the case.
Disney controls how and when vendors are allowed to claim specific work with Disney. They must approve the language, images and use of any advertising of work done for them. You won’t find very many public references to Disney from Vekoma, but they have been allowed to openly acknowledge their work at events like the IAAPA Attractions Expo. Disney themselves almost never acknowledge vendors in a wide, public setting.

trainplane3

Disney controls how and when vendors are allowed to claim specific work with Disney. They must approve the language, images and use of any advertising of work done for them. You won’t find very many public references to Disney from Vekoma, but they have been allowed to openly acknowledge their work at events like the IAAPA Attractions Expo. Disney themselves almost never acknowledge vendors in a wide, public setting.
Ah, I had a feeling I was on the right track. That makes sense. One of the reasons is probably in case some accident happens on any Vekoma coaster, the press won't run over to Disney and ask them what they're doing to fix it and if they're at risk. I think we all know this is something that would happen.

mmascari

The article mentions "carriage wheel generators", do you know what that is?

If you follow the google search down the rabbit hole of time lost forever (which I did, of course), the TARIS 3200 is a much bigger gondola system. Using 3 ropes. One to pull the car and two that it rides on. The "carriage wheel generators" look like generators that are part of the carriage wheels the car rides on. One rope is pulling the car, hence stationary with respect to the car, but moving with respect to the ground. The other two ropes are stationary with respect to the ground, but the car is moving with respect to them. As the car moves along the rope, it's riding on wheels that turn, and inside those wheels are little generators. Generating electricity from the turning wheels as the car rolls along the stationary ropes.

Looks super cool.

But, way overkill for Disney. Looks good for a much bigger distance being covered.

I'll warn you, you could be lost for a while reading about gondola stuff you'll never need to know. But, here's the link: http://www.cwa.ch/en/p/taris-3200-taris-8.html

The article says the VIP Cabin will hold 8 passengers. The web site looks like a standard cabin could hold over 20 people (I didn't see a number, but counted 24 seats in one picture). Sounds like a big capacity trade off for all those VIP features.

lazyboy97o

Ah, I had a feeling I was on the right track. That makes sense. One of the reasons is probably in case some accident happens on any Vekoma coaster, the press won't run over to Disney and ask them what they're doing to fix it and if they're at risk. I think we all know this is something that would happen.
I thinks it’s more marketing a specific image of Disney being the magic maker. The information is out there and the press has shown at times that they know it too.

Sull1102

Liftblog, curious if you think there is any chance of Disney going with that gorgeous LED screen options on the terminal buildings that the Dopp brochure for the D-Line showed off a couple years back? Now that would be something!

Lift Blog

Liftblog, curious if you think there is any chance of Disney going with that gorgeous LED screen options on the terminal buildings that the Dopp brochure for the D-Line showed off a couple years back? Now that would be something!
From the renderings we have seen, no. Not one customer has bought it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom