News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

mm121

No.
Completely different system and the insiders have told us there are zero plans to expand the Skyliner system.

There IS however some other sort of system being looked at for other portions of the park, some have presumed it to be some sort of light rail or PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) system to connect Animal Kingdom to the overall transportation network, but that has not be confirmed by anyone.

thought at one point there was talk of expanding the skyliner to animal kingdom

but guess it seems like they enjoy the confusion of requiring guests to get on and off and make it difficult to go from one place direct to another, presumably in order to sell more Minnie Van rides.

peter11435

but guess it seems like they enjoy the confusion of requiring guests to get on and off and make it difficult to go from one place direct to another, presumably in order to sell more Minnie Van rides.
There was talk from fans and blogger... but that was it. Not something actually being pursued by Disney.

Creathir

As others mentioned, something besides the Skyliner is being looked at for AK, but we have no confirmation or indication what exactly that is.

My guess: whatever it is, is very early in the process.

GCTales

Looking at this, if the green outlined areas are the parking garages, there has to be some sort of switching mechanism between the convergence of all three lines and out to the two garages.

One possible pathway into and out of the garages would include two tracks / rails out of the AOA/POP line and the Riviera line into the DHS station. A second set of switches on the line out from the DHS station into the two garage buildings.

My quick and dirty layout for these paths.. (forgive my poor artistic skills). this is assuming entry to the garages / barns at the end and not the side. It also explains the low height on the red towers between the buildings.

possible gondola storage path.jpg

JoeCamel

Question to those who know.. how deep usually Disney has to build their pillars? I assume most of Florida is very soft ground, right?
Depends on what it has to support. Many piles go to 120 or more feet in Florida. Under a lot of the state is a more stable layer of lime rock. It is not bedrock but it will hold a pile. (unless there is a cavern just under the depth borings)! For lighter you can just use depth so the tower doesn't flip (50% of the height would work) so substrate and load are the same calculations as any other place on earth.
I'm looking at the footing for the hub station and thinking it is where I want to be when the big one hits and drops WDW into the ocean. Or did I conflate the east and west versions?

lazyboy97o

Question to those who know.. how deep usually Disney has to build their pillars? I assume most of Florida is very soft ground, right?
It’s not a question of what Disney does. Structural design is based on what is being built and where it is being built.

Depends on what it has to support. Many piles go to 120 or more feet in Florida. Under a lot of the state is a more stable layer of lime rock. It is not bedrock but it will hold a pile. (unless there is a cavern just under the depth borings)! For lighter you can just use depth so the tower doesn't flip (50% of the height would work) so substrate and load are the same calculations as any other place on earth.
I'm looking at the footing for the hub station and thinking it is where I want to be when the big one hits and drops WDW into the ocean. Or did I conflate the east and west versions?
I’m not sure what you think you see, but the hub station foundations aren’t piles and are only a few feet deep. The 100’+ piles will be out in the water.

SLUSHIE

Looking at this, if the green outlined areas are the parking garages, there has to be some sort of switching mechanism between the convergence of all three lines and out to the two garages.

One possible pathway into and out of the garages would include two tracks / rails out of the AOA/POP line and the Riviera line into the DHS station. A second set of switches on the line out from the DHS station into the two garage buildings.

My quick and dirty layout for these paths.. (forgive my poor artistic skills). this is assuming entry to the garages / barns at the end and not the side. It also explains the low height on the red towers between the buildings.

View attachment 263796

I think its pretty hard to say at this point how the cabins are going to get over there, especially from the bottom right station.

I think in general though, the cabins will usualy leave out the side of the stations. They will not be leaving to the cabin parking out the front of the middle station as you have drawn, because that's where the cabins are launched from on their normal route. Operationally, they probably also want them to be independent in case one route needs to be shut down for whatever reason, like removing a cabin from one line without impacting the operations of the other lines.

Its possible they will route through the other foundation area above the middle station but I think it's hard to tell what that even is at this point.

Cabins also have to be unloaded and loaded in a big loop. When they come off the line they will be transported up an incline a couple feet or so, so that gravity (with lots of human intervention to make sure they don't stop, bump into each other too hard and/or fall off the rail) will take them through the rest of their route though the parking area. So they don't necessarily have to go back on near the same spot the came off either.

Last edited:

Grimley1968

While watching an Olympics skiing event, I noticed there is a nice gondola-style ski lift over the slopes there. It looks like a Doppelmayr system. Anyone know if that’s essentially the same as what WDW is getting?

DisneyCane

I thought piles don't actually need to hit bedrock. Isn't it the friction along the length of the piles that supports the weight?

raymusiccity

It’s not a question of what Disney does. Structural design is based on what is being built and where it is being built.

I’m not sure what you think you see, but the hub station foundations aren’t piles and are only a few feet deep. The 100’+ piles will be out in the water.

I can understand that they would want to err on the side of caution. After all, there's a constant threat of sinkholes in the area. It was only 4 years ago that this one collapsed:

Orlando Sentinel : "A 60-foot-wide sinkhole formed under a resort in central Florida late Sunday, forcing guests out of their rooms as one three-story building collapsed and another slowly sank.
Guests at the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont, about 10 minutes from Walt Disney World, called for help before the collapse, saying they heard loud noises and windows cracking. All guests inside the buildings -- an estimated 35 people, authorities said -- were evacuated before the first structure crumbled."

lazyboy97o

I thought piles don't actually need to hit bedrock. Isn't it the friction along the length of the piles that supports the weight?
Friction piles support with friction and bearing piles bear on rock.

I can understand that they would want to err on the side of caution. After all, there's a constant threat of sinkholes in the area. It was only 4 years ago that this one collapsed:

Orlando Sentinel : "A 60-foot-wide sinkhole formed under a resort in central Florida late Sunday, forcing guests out of their rooms as one three-story building collapsed and another slowly sank.
Guests at the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont, about 10 minutes from Walt Disney World, called for help before the collapse, saying they heard loud noises and windows cracking. All guests inside the buildings -- an estimated 35 people, authorities said -- were evacuated before the first structure crumbled."
I’m not sure I follow.

That is what the engineers hope for. Does not always work though....
It’s not a matter of hope. Friction piles are designed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

In central Florida, I'd imagine you don't want to go banging too hard against the limestone beneath you lest you crack the top dome of a festering sinkhole...

Lift Blog

While watching an Olympics skiing event, I noticed there is a nice gondola-style ski lift over the slopes there. It looks like a Doppelmayr system. Anyone know if that’s essentially the same as what WDW is getting?
Yes. Jeongseon, Yongpyong and Phoenix Park all have Doppelmayr 8-passenger gondolas. The one at the downhill venue (Jeongseon) is brand new and most analagous to the Skyliner, although Disney is getting an even newer model called D-Line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom