News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

FerretAfros

What have we learned...

View attachment 265145
1. Cable cars attach themselves to the cable by clinging very tightly to the side of the cable.

2. Gondolas are 3 feet wide and seat only 3 people.

3. By the time the project is finished, the sun's polarity will be reversed and instead of casting shadows, it will be drawing shadows towards it.
The gondolas are also shown traveling at ground level across the sidewalk behind the bus bay. It's going to be really fun to watch Grandma Ethel and little Suzie try to frogger their way across without getting hit! Perhaps this will be billed as a new high-stakes stunt show to help spice up the park's aging entertainment roster

I have no problem with artistic liberties and minor design changes in concept art, but this piece should never have been released to the public. It's riddled with errors, both artistic and practical (not to mention forgetting the updates to the bus bays that will be complete before the Skyway), that should have been caught in a cursory QC check

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Speaking of wheelchairs/strollers, I anticipate constant slow downs and stoppages. How on earth are families with strollers and everything else they carry going to board a moving cabin? They can't even get on the stopped parking lot trams.

The only way I could see it being remotely possible is if there is a moving floor synched to the cabin. But, there will also be people exiting from the same door I assume which will make it even more difficult.

4:54 in this video...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
6. Towers which are not right outside of a station will not be maintained, except for the occasional helicopter inspection executed by @bioreconstruct.
7. Disney's cables will magically defy the laws of physics.
8. Rides to DHS will be a lot windier than rides to Epcot with vents facing the direction of motion, whereas rides to Epcot will only get sideways ventilation.
9. If a stepping platform is present on the cabins, it is not underneath the doors. This is clearly a way to make sure strollers and ECVs cannot make into the cabins.
10. Cabins will not make a 180° turn around the platform at the DHS station as the cable will. Instead they will come out the same way they went in, meaning there must be something flipping their position w.r.t. the cable inside the station.
11. All but two of the wheels on the towers (sheaves, right?) are solely for decorative purposes. Theming, people, theming!
Clearly, this is why most artists are not engineers. And we should be thankful for that.

lazyboy97o

What makes so many of the perspective, scale, sunlight and other issues in these promotional images so bad is that so often they are not free hand drawings / paintings / renderings. Blueprints are no longer two dimensional. Many, many times the starting point for these images is an accurate 3D perspective that comes right from the blueprints. Everything starts off right.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Why won't Disney listen to these people and stop building this while there's still time! It's going to be a longlined, hurricane stricken, hotbox, peolemoving disaster!

I don't know where that sarcastic leap came from. How do you get "the sky is falling" from a comment about slowdowns due to stroller loading?

Great news for you... you found the thread with the answer!! Use the magic search box and knowledge awaits!

Feel free to suggest search terms. I tried "strollers" and don't really see much. I don't have time to read 389 pages worth of posts to get the answer.

4:54 in this video...

My point/question was specifically about Disney guests. When a family with 3 strollers and several diaper bags has to board, I think there will be slowdown issues.

Even at ski resorts, there are periodic gondola slowdowns and stoppages due to load/unload issues.

Grimley1968

I don't have time to read 389 pages worth of posts to get the answer.

It's kind of presumptuous to say you don't have time to read 389 pages of posts when you're asking people to spend their time repeating answers to questions that have been raised and discussed too many times to count. The answers to what you ask can be found by simply reading the first post and the links within it and by, ahem, reading some of the other posts.

GeneralKnowledge

My point/question was specifically about Disney guests. When a family with 3 strollers and several diaper bags has to board, I think there will be slowdown issues.

Even at ski resorts, there are periodic gondola slowdowns and stoppages due to load/unload issues.

A family with three strollers is most likely going to be split between two gondola cars. Unless it’s three little umbrella strollers. In which case the dad can man up and step aboard while holding all three strollers on one finger.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't know where that sarcastic leap came from. How do you get "the sky is falling" from a comment about slowdowns due to stroller loading?

Because we have discussed this ad infinitum already.

Feel free to suggest search terms. I tried "strollers" and don't really see much. I don't have time to read 389 pages worth of posts to get the answer.

You don't need to read more than the first post, which gives you a link to where the answer is.

Your earlier post suggests you have no idea how this will work. Which is fine. Use the links from post 1 to find out.

But think gondola station. Cable cars come in, travel along a platform where people get out of the cars. Cars flush with platform. Cars go round the end of the station and travel back along the length of the platform, where people load into cars. Push stroller in/out as required.

If a group of 10 x 3 year olds togged up like mini Michelin men can manhandle skis 3 times their height into the ski carriers and get themselves into a cable car without any mishaps, I dare say Disney guests can manage to get themselves into a cable car.

Last edited:

Creathir

Because it's been discussed very thoroughly already, along with AC, lightning, and reliability.

This particular topic for whatever reason irritates a vocal fee to no end.

The “discussion” was more akin to yelling and tantamount name calling for expressing the exact concern above.

It’s not something which can be answered until we see it working and in action, but we’ll have a few pages of the same vocal folks getting bent out of shape because someone dare ask a question which has no real answer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
This particular topic for whatever reason irritates a vocal fee to no end.

The “discussion” was more akin to yelling and tantamount name calling for expressing the exact concern above.

It’s not something which can be answered until we see it working and in action, but we’ll have a few pages of the same vocal folks getting bent out of shape because someone dare ask a question which has no real answer.

Actually, people who understand these things addresses the concerns, but certain people didn't like those answers and got bent out of shape about it.

Goofyernmost

It's kind of presumptuous to say you don't have time to read 389 pages of posts when you're asking people to spend their time repeating answers to questions that have been raised and discussed too many times to count. The answers to what you ask can be found by simply reading the first post and the links within it and by, ahem, reading some of the other posts.
Just for the hell of it, you can really say that trying to find answers out of 389 pages is the same as asking someone, anyone to spend 2 minutes answering the question. I thought that we were all supposed to be happy, caring, considerate and helpful Disney fans. I must have the wrong board.

tirian

What have we learned...

View attachment 265145
1. Cable cars attach themselves to the cable by clinging very tightly to the side of the cable.

2. Gondolas are 3 feet wide and seat only 3 people.

3. By the time the project is finished, the sun's polarity will be reversed and instead of casting shadows, it will be drawing shadows towards it.
The gondolas cling only to one side of the cable. The other side is magically supported with pixie dust.

GlacierGlacier

Exactly. The big reason why these threads ARE 389 pages long is because people keep asking questions that have already been answered. That alongside arguments between one or two individuals at a time that devolve into the worst logical fallacies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom