News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

Those tower foundations look massive compared with ski area standards. I hear Disney wanted everything burlier for hurricane purposes.
Designing the tower foundations to hold up to hurricane force winds isn't really "Uber" engineering, it's just good engineering.
The massive foundations will be those in the water. Think piles about 100’ in depth. The second most substantial foundations will be those at and around the Boardwalk turning station.

Being designed to withstand high wind speeds is not something unique to Disney. It is required by state law as part of the building codes.

JoeCamel

Those tower foundations look massive compared with ski area standards. I hear Disney wanted everything burlier for hurricane purposes.
Not sure if it is hurricane or they don't want them to sink into the swamp. Ski resorts are generally built on big rocks so just tie into the mountain and they won't go anywhere. Here you need footprint. The pilings do not go to bedrock just down to an old coral reef that we hope doesn't have a cave/sinkhole under it. ;)

Looks like your comment garnered a bunch of replies from all the Florida engineers that haunt these threads

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not sure if it is hurricane or they don't want them to sink into the swamp. Ski resorts are generally built on big rocks so just tie into the mountain and they won't go anywhere. Here you need footprint. The pilings do not go to bedrock just down to an old coral reef that we hope doesn't have a cave/sinkhole under it. ;)

Keep going down a mile or two... you'll hit bedrock!!

Cesar R M

Might also have to do with the fact that they are going into much less stable ground then you probably have on a mountain.

Speaking of towers, are they normally installed by the contractor that is doing the station structures and foundations, or will that be done along with the lift equipment install?
Agree, arent sinkholes and sandy bases normal in Florida?

Cesar R M

I thought bedrock was up the road at Universal ? Or did it get replaced by minions ?
wober6d.gif

jt04

The distances of what? Between stations? That's been know for a year. Between towers? You don't know where the towers are going in.

I hadn't realized the scale of the project. It is one thing to conceptualize in your mind but sometimes another when you see the actual distances in photos. Another indicator is the foundations of the main terminal. Just compare and contrast to the former Skyway stations.

jt04

Don’t be daft. The previous skyway also had to pass through a basement to reach its foundations.

This is kids play.

Did you ever see the size of the monorail pile foundations?

Love for someone to Photoshop the skyway stations/towers over the new system to be able to clearly discern the difference.

JoeCamel

I actually remember the skyway so I have some point of reference but it would be nice to have the specs on each. I think it would be night and day.
2-3 passenger cars vs 8 - 10? longer rope and modern drive system? Yeah would be night and day. While we are at it how about we compare a portable carnival coaster with the Hulk? would be night and day..... Sheesh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom